Troop Offices for Advancement

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Troop Offices for Advancement

Postby fritz1255 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:32 pm

There are several possibilities for boys that need a position of responsibility for Star or Life, but a couple that I don't know what they are. Can anyone tell me what the function of a Troop Guide and Troop Instructor are?
fritz1255
Life

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Troop Guide is an experienced Scout that serves basically as the Patrol leader for the "New Scout" Patrol.

Instructor is also an experienced Scout that serves as an instructor of Scout skills to younger Scouts in general.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby WeeWillie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Responsibilties for the SPL are found in the SPL Handbook
Responsibilities for PLs are found in the PL Handbook.
Responsibilties for other junior leaders (Scribe, Guide, Instructor...) are found in the Junior Leaders Handbook.

The info is also in the SM Handbook.

Your troop should have the above handbooks and available to Scouts and Adults from the Troop Librarian, whose position is also included in the Junior Leaders Handbook.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby joat » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:44 pm

What is the "Junior Leaders Handbook"?
joat
Life

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 am

The current book is the Patrol Leader Handbook (Replaced Junior Leader Handbook)

The ready reference for junior leaders to help them understand the importance of each of their jobs in the successful operation of their troop.

Retail Price: $8.99

Item: 32502A
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Leadership positions and advancement

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:29 am

Several Scouts in our troop hold leadership positions for rank advancement but donnn't seem to be doing anything within the position. Examples: historian, scribe, librarian, chaplain aide. I have seen Scouts hold these position but I don't see the results of their work. Does holding a position (in name only) without actually doing anything qualify as fullfilling the requirement. Can a Scout be turned down for advancement if he is not actually serving in the position?
papabear
Second Class

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:29 am

Several Scouts in our troop hold leadership positions for rank advancement but donnn't seem to be doing anything within the position. Examples: historian, scribe, librarian, chaplain aide. I have seen Scouts hold these position but I don't see the results of their work. Does holding a position (in name only) without actually doing anything qualify as fullfilling the requirement. Can a Scout be turned down for advancement if he is not actually serving in the position?
papabear
Second Class

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 am

papabear
Second Class

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 am

papabear
Second Class

Leader

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:31 am

Several Scouts in our troop hold leadership positions for rank advancement but don't seem to be doing anything within the position. Examples: historian, scribe, librarian, chaplain aide. I have seen Scouts hold these position but I don't see the results of their work. Does holding a position (in name only) without actually doing anything qualify as fullfilling the requirement. Can a Scout be turned down for advancement if he is not actually serving in the position?
papabear
Second Class

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:31 am

papabear
Second Class

Postby papabear » Sun May 25, 2008 9:52 am

papabear
Second Class

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 am

This is discussed in some detail in a related thread. See:

http://meritbadge.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2641&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

But the short answer based on National BSA postion is that if elected/appointed, time served counts. However, it is the responsibility of the Troop leadership (Youth and Adult as appropriate) to ensure that the Scout knows what is expected when he takes office. If he is not fullfilling that responsibility they are responsible to counselling to improve and ultimately to remove the Scout if neccesary.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Re: Troop Offices for Advancement

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:26 pm

fritz1255 wrote:There are several possibilities for boys that need a position of responsibility for Star or Life, but a couple that I don't know what they are. Can anyone tell me what the function of a Troop Guide and Troop Instructor are?

Every position listed has big responsibilities.

If the Wikipedia were working I would say to check out:

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... _Historian

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... _Librarian

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Troop_Scribe

etc.

With the Wiki down, why not take the Troop Committee training at:

http://olc.scouting.org/

Wait until you see all that the boys are supposed to be doing.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Return to General Advancement Information