My Very First Conclave and First OA Activity in 30 years

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

My Very First Conclave and First OA Activity in 30 years

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:33 pm

I was elected to OA when I was 17 and went through my Ordeal. This was in 1983.

Since then, I had paid dues to the various lodges I was a member of; however, never fully became involved with OA. No particular excuse. Just involved in other areas of Scouting.

A month ago, a fellow Scouter invited me to the SR 2-3 North Section's Annual Conclave. For some reason, I said "yes".

I showed up and immediately had tons of folks I did not know introduce themselves and made me feel very welcomed. I was a little nervous because, after 30 years, I am still an Ordeal member.

I explained this to one gentleman and before I knew it, he had handed me a "study sheet" for Brotherhood membership and challenged me to do what is necessary to moved to the next step.

I could only stay last night and left at noon due to another obligation. Thus, I missed out on some of the good stuff that is taking place this afternoon and evening.

When growing up, my Dad was heavily involved with OA. He passed a few years back,but I found a few of his things from his days in OA. One particular item was two of his sashes. One was Brotherhood and the other was Vigil.

Hopefully, in the next couple of months, I can move forward.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Re: My Very First Conclave and First OA Activity in 30 years

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Good luck, Mike. I got my Brotherhood as a Scout around 1962. Then in '65 I went to college, after that: work and marriage and kids. Then, when the boys got involved in Scouting, became Eagles and Brotherhood, I got re-interested and became very involved in our Half-Moon Lodge #28. Now I'm a Vigil member and a Founder's Award recipient since around 1996. Go figure! I'm 66 and still enjoy the Lodge and all of the Brothers.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby ronin718 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:45 am

Nice to see this kind of inspiration. Unlike you gents, I just completed my Ordeal this weekend. It was a significant weekend for me because my son completed his Brotherhood as well. Good to see there's plenty to do after my son ages out next year.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 am

Glad you are back. The OA if operated correctly is a great leadership opportunity for our youth. My Lodge Wagion 6 has had two Region Chiefs in the past 10 years which says to me we are doing it right.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby mt_goodrich » Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 pm

That was the thing that I immediately saw and noticed was that the youth were running the show. The "old guys" (and some "old gals") sat back for the most part, except the adults in the kitchen.

If there was an issue/problem, an adult leader was there to guide/assist, but at no time did I see them take over. And actually, it was fun to see a lot of the adult acting like kids. Sitting around tables doing beadwork.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 am

Lodge activities slow down in the Summer for some councils. If your council has Lodge Ordeals/Brotherhoods during camp . . . try to get involved. The Summer Lodge Chiefs can ALWAYS use the advice and guidance.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 am

We do brotherhood interviews DUING summer camp and are always looking for help with that . See if your lodge offers this at camp.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 am

Don't feel bad, it took me about 40 years to make Brotherhood. And about that long to make a Conclave as well.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Return to Order of The Arrow