"Sash and Dash" -- Advice?

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

"Sash and Dash" -- Advice?

Postby Eagle91 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Admin note: Split from OP: Training Schedule- What's Next?
=============================================

Eagle Scout Class of 1991 & Scoutmaster for the last 18 months...

I have completed Scoutmaster classroom and outdoor training (our council calls it Oakleaf) and have served on staff for this event.

After being elected twice as a youth and not proceeding, I was nominated as an adult & completed my OA Ordeal in August.

OA program has been non-existent in our troop for 5 years- until I became Scoutmaster. However, our guys do what is called the "sash and dash"- and have little interest with any events.

I want to get my troop more excited about OA - so the enthusiasm will spread and Scouts will want to be on the election ballot.

I am looking for feedback from my fellow Scouters...
Eagle91
Scout

Re: "Sash and Dash" -- Advice?

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I made sure everyone got to the OA weekends. Hey OA weekend is the X weekend in April I am going and Mr. X is going everyone get their weekend reservation in and we go as a unit.
You arrange the transportation and if necessary make their reservations but make them pay.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Eagle91 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm

thanks for the tip.....I will definately try that.

I want to make OA something cool- that guys want to be elected to. I feel that I am going to need to be the sparkplug in the beginning

The admin split and edited my post the Training forum into the OA....and took away my second part of the question.....

I have an opportunity to attend either OA's National Leadership Seminar or Wood Badge. Hoever, I am unable to do both.

In looking at other posts- you have a vast knowledge of Scouting and value your opinion.

What are the benefits of both? Should 1 take 1 before the other? In my situation- what should I take first?
Eagle91
Scout

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 am

In my council OA is Cool. We average over 200 at a service weekend ausually 250-300 at our February Banquet. WE have had two region chiefs in the oast ten years. In August we had a Hot Air Balloon at our fellowship weekend whih the members could go up and down in. Our council does not have a camp ranger We are the camp Ranger and do everything that needs built,fixed or moved.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Attitudes reflect leadership...

to me your wanting to promote OA is a great first step. Sash and Dash is always a problem but the active youth typically have scoutmasters that value and promote the OA.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:59 pm

For those who have great OA programs, I salute you. It is not the same everywhere.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:58 pm

As stated, take your OA guys to as many OA events as possible. Spread the enthusiasm. If your Lodge has a banquet, get them there to see the awards handed out. The Lodge will provide more leadership opportunities for them. Get them to your region's conclave, participate in the classes and watch everything. Have them serve on election teams and wear Lodge Regalia and watch what happens!
Then, get everyone to seal their membership by moving on to Brotherhood. Completing that after 10 months will spread the pride in their Lodge. Your Lodge Advisor will provide the steps they need to take to become Brotherhood members. Perhaps take on a Lode Advisorship yourself . . . in Dance Team or Ceremony Team. Get them to regalia day and make their own piece of regalia or make something for the Ceremony Team to use. You'll see the pride GROW! Good luck.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby mt_goodrich » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:52 pm

As wagionvigil suggested, tell everyone when and where and get them there.

I have shed a few Scouting responsibilities that I have had (no longer Scoutmaster and have decided to take a break from staffing Wood Badge courses) and have decided to get more involved with OA in our council. To be honest, I have been paying my dues, but have not been participating. That will change and I am excited.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm

We just had our election last night. Nine of nine eligible got voted in. I also would like to see our troop more involved, and I think it will be, since our new SM, who is an Eagle, is a vigil member.

I looked up our lodge website to see the calendar and learned something. " New OA Troop/Team Representative Adviser Position a new, official BSA adult position of responsibilities. Its purpose is to create the role for an adult to guide the youth TTR and be a ‘voice of the Order’ at the adult level in the troop structure.  New position patches will be available at the Scout Shop soon."

Also, troop recognition is available. http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/forms/u ... d-2012.pdf
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Return to Order of The Arrow