Dance Team Startup...

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Dance Team Startup...

Postby Durlach » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello Fellow Brothers,

Our Lodge/Chapter is looking to add a Dance Team.
At this point I would just like to get some advice on what has worked and not worked in other Lodges. If you have or know of some resouces to look into. Our Lodge has had a dance team in the past but it has been many years.

Thanks
Eagle Scout 1986
Vigil Honor 2011
Sakima Lodge 573
White Beaver Chapter Adviser
ASM Troop 422
Bugles Across America
Durlach
Scout

Re: Dance Team Startup...

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Wagion is the OA Czar on the forum and I'm sure he can help you out.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:05 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Wagion is the OA Czar on the forum and I'm sure he can help you out.

That is tough for me as Our lodge has a history of a dance team way before I was in and that was in 63. Let me say what I would do is find a lodge close by that has a dance team and ask for help. Go to conclaves in your area and watch the dancing competition and get help. If there are native American Pow Wows around get help there. Our boys make their own outfits and that can get involved with fancy and Grass dancing. Our dance team does B G banquets, mall shows, and we always try to have a dancer at our Calling out ceremony on Wednesday nights. We also have a drumming team that goes hand in hand with the dance team.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 am

You could also use youtube to get some information about the different dance styles to see what the Scouts are interested in. Take the time and go to some Pow Wows! I went to one at The Turtle Museum in Niagara Falls in the early 90s. That was awesome. Also use the libraries. Especially the larger ones with nearby reservations. We did some research about a dance we did in 1992 at Camp Conestoga and took first place in the competition!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Return to Order of The Arrow