Let the youth lead!

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Let the youth lead!

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:46 am

Below is some research done by a former chief. My council is a small class 600 council. Our Lodge Wagion #6 has been around for 90 years and is what I would consider the strongest Lodge in the NER.
After Doing some research, Eric Bush was the 12th Section or Area Chief from Wagion Lodge and it's second National Officer and Northeast Region Chief. These numbers are the highest of any lodge in what would be consider the old Area 3-F by far. This is a true testoment to the leadership of the youth and the adults of the Westmoreland-Fayette Council. Today is a great day for all brothers! Carry On!!!

If you want a strong Lodge let the Boys lead. This is what you get. Adults keep your hands off the program!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Let the youth lead!

Postby FrankJ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:36 pm

Where the research? :?: :)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:55 pm

the research was done by Tom Price a former lodge and section chief From Wagion #6. this lodge is run by the youth with input from adults(when asked) this is how a great Lodge operates.
many adult members of the OA will not like to hear that a youth led Organization actually works.
IS your lodge youth led or do your youth only do what the adults want? Think about it.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 am

Yesterday we had our 2012 LLDC there are 69 members of the Lodge Executive committee youth and adult 64 were present. Also in attendance were a Past region Chief our current Region chief the section chief and the section Adv. NR area 4 is the home of the national Chief and the Region Chief
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 pm

69 members on a committee? Lots of Chiefs too. Nothing much must get accomplished. :P
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Lodge ececutive committee. All the lodge committees are part if the executive committee
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:17 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Lodge ececutive committee. All the lodge committees are part if the executive committee

Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. :wink:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:22 am

We have a chief two vice chiefs a secretary and a treasurer. Each has an adv. Now we have an administration division Under the Adm. Vice Chief and a Program Division under the Program Vice Chief.
then you have all the operating committees that fall under those headings or the special committees. Like last years 90th anniversary committee.
Dining Hall
Activities
Conclave
Service
ceremonies
Vigil Honor
Thunderbird
NOAC
Ways and Means
etc
Each Committee has a chair and an adv.

We have a very active Lodge 950 dues paying members last year. Our Lodge is donating 10K to the council for a new Walk in freezer etc at camp.
If you look at the OA website our Lodge Fund raising for NOAC is featured. Our boys usually end up paying for very little when they attend NOAC next year they might pay nothing.
When someone is elected and takes their Ordeal you have them for around 4.5 years from Joining to when they leave. This seems to be the average. This is true for both youth and adults. So on the youth side you have that time frame to let them learn to lead and then lead. The more opportunity you have the more trained youth leaders you have.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 pm

I know this is in the OA realm. But I could not agree more with this. My Boy Scout Troop took 3 patrols to the annual "Polar Bear" competition (Other councils/districts would call this a Klondike Derby). The "Black Sheep" Patrol of Troop 40 took first place overall. Why? Because the Scouts wanted this and the boys actually planned and made this happen. The adults just stayed in the background and provided transportation.

wagionvigil wrote:If you want a strong Lodge let the Boys lead. This is what you get. Adults keep your hands off the program!

The only thing I would change to wagions quote is "If you want a strong Troop, let the boys lead!"
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Return to Order of The Arrow