Adult OA Member Nomination

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Adult OA Member Nomination

Postby fritz1255 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:25 am

We will be having our OA elections next week. I have just received a form to nominate an adult for membership. While about three adults in the Troop qualifiy for membership (you have to have done an entire week of summer camp during the last two years), we have questions about the position:

1) What will the nominee need to do? Are there one or more weekend activities that he will need to attend assuming he is approved for membership?
2) We have a former OA member who is now an Assistant Scoutmaster. Would it be appropriate to nominate him, or does he just rejoin if he wants to?
3) In general, what is expected from the adult who is in OA? Are there specific responsibilities?
fritz1255
Life

Re: Adult OA Member Nomination

Postby FrankJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:40 am

The adult that was in the OA as a youth is still in the OA so does not need to be nominated. The adult nominated will have to do his ordeal just like the youth. There are no specific duties for an Adult (other than paying annual dues). OA is primarily a youth organization run by youths. The adult roles are supportive like helping with transportation, & supervision.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Re: Adult OA Member Nomination

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:07 pm

The adult(s) in question have to meet the camping requirements just as the youth members do. Their role is "supportive" as mentioned, but if there is some special skills that they have, mention it on the application. Carpenters, electricians, computer wizzards and heavy equipment operators are always needed at campduring OA Weekends and Conclaves! And, just like the youth, in 10 months after their Ordeal, they are elligable for Brotherhood. I have been active since my Ordeal and Brotherhood in the 60's (except for time off for college) and am now a Vigil and Founder's Award recipient!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Order of The Arrow