Appropriate use of an old OA sash

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby Quailman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:36 pm

It appears that japhmi is treating the pocket flap and the sash as an award and not as symbols of membership in an organization.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Quailman wrote:It appears that japhmi is treating the pocket flap and the sash as an award and not as symbols of membership in an organization.

we have a winner :P
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby japhmi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Quailman wrote:It appears that japhmi is treating the pocket flap and the sash as an award and not as symbols of membership in an organization.

I see it as a recognition of an honor granted.
japhmi
Second Class

Location: Cascade Pacific Countil - Lewis & Clark and Sunset Trail Districts

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:02 pm

japhmi wrote:

I see it as a recognition of an honor granted.

Only if your dues are paid :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 am

Japhmi i would encourage you to meet with your chapter adviser and see about getting involved. Summer is the perfect time as Lodges need lots of help during Ordeals and work weekends at their camps. Attend and help out at an Ordeal and watch the Ordeal and Brotherhood ceremonies again. I always encourage our new members to come back and watch the Ordeal ceremony another time. I think people get more out of it when they are not hot and tired and you can really focus on it.

No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby japhmi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:01 pm

kwildman wrote:Japhmi i would encourage you to meet with your chapter adviser and see about getting involved. Summer is the perfect time as Lodges need lots of help during Ordeals and work weekends at their camps. Attend and help out at an Ordeal and watch the Ordeal and Brotherhood ceremonies again. I always encourage our new members to come back and watch the Ordeal ceremony another time. I think people get more out of it when they are not hot and tired and you can really focus on it.

I know my position may not be popular, but trying to get me killed by my wife? :shock:

"Hey honey, I know that it's going to be a few years before our oldest is able to be in scouts, and you already get frustrated by the amount of time I do stuff, and that you're 38 weeks pregnant, but I was going to go do some things with the OA this weekend. Honey. Honey put down the knife. Ack! ...." :lol:
japhmi
Second Class

Location: Cascade Pacific Countil - Lewis & Clark and Sunset Trail Districts

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:55 pm

japhmi wrote: Honey. Honey put down the knife. Ack! ...." :lol:

As long as she has her Totin' Chip that is acceptable. :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kwildman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Ok...so we will give you a few years to work up it. :P I find that being a pain in the butt home gets me the "Arent you supposed to camping somewhere this weekend?" from my wife. :lol:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby tonkatim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:02 pm

having a "Whittlin' chip" would be opportunity. She already has motive... if my wife gets on here asking about how big the 'safety circle' is... You guys would let me know...Right?

:shock:
tonkatim
Star

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

japhmi wrote:
kwildman wrote:The lodge flap says that you were selected by your peers and that you accepted an OBLIGATION. If you are not paying your dues than you are not a member in good standing and not entitled to wear the flap or the sash.

That's the way the rules are written now, but I'm saying that I disagree with them. There's nothing in our OBLIGATION that says that the youth have a duty to do things in and for the Order. I knew several youth growing up who never did much in the Order, but they served their home troop with distinction that shows that they deserved the honor given them by their peers. ...

The OBLIGATION you remember may not specify service in the order, but if you were to seal your membership in the order by accepting the obligations of the brotherhood, then you are promising to "... be faithful in attendance upon the sessions of my lodge, and earnest in its support, so far as I am able..."
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Order of The Arrow