Appropriate use of an old OA sash

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby tonkatim » Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 am

I have a couple of questions pertaining to the wearing of the OA sash at Webelos Cross-Over. As the Cubmaster, would it be appropriate to put on my very old sash after talking about the Cubs earning the Arrow of Light. I have thought about putting it on while speaking to the Troops ritual team members and then showing the Webelos to the bridge. Taking it off after they have crossed.

Some points first. My lodge does not charge dues. (you should have seen the confusion that I caused at Council offices when I asked the membership manager what it took to re-up OA.)
Second- just back in Scouting after a 31 year hiatus so not active in the Lodge per se. (yet) Could not find my OA handbook in my Scoutbox in Mom's attic.
Third- Troop OA ritual teams??? How cool is that? I was on the District ritual team a long time ago.

So much has changed and yet it all seems to familiar.
tonkatim
Star
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Greater Saint Louis Area

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 17, 2011 12:18 pm

tonkatim wrote:I have a couple of questions pertaining to the wearing of the OA sash at Webelos Cross-Over. As the Cubmaster, would it be appropriate to put on my very old sash after talking about the Cubs earning the Arrow of Light. I have thought about putting it on while speaking to the Troops ritual team members and then showing the Webelos to the bridge. Taking it off after they have crossed.

Some points first. My lodge does not charge dues. (you should have seen the confusion that I caused at Council offices when I asked the membership manager what it took to re-up OA.)
Second- just back in Scouting after a 31 year hiatus so not active in the Lodge per se. (yet) Could not find my OA handbook in my Scoutbox in Mom's attic.
Third- Troop OA ritual teams??? How cool is that? I was on the District ritual team a long time ago.

So much has changed and yet it all seems to familiar.

Well the answer is that the OA sash is to only be worn at an OA function or when the OA is providing a service where members should be easily identified. The flap is worn for all other functions to identify an Arrowman. The sash is never worn to COH BOR or meetings. If you were at a Meeting where you were a representative of the Lodge ie unit election team etc then it is appropriate but from what information you provided it would not be a place where it would be worn.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby tonkatim » Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Probably would not have fit anyway. :oops:

I guess my confusion was; is a Cub Scout Webelos Crossover ceremony with a Troop OA Ritual Team an OA event? My part of the ceremony as Cubmaster would be to descibe the Cub portion without the sash on and then to speak to the OA members briefly in a callout fashion wearing the sash and then take the sash off as I returned to Cubmaster. Purely showmanship for the Cubs and Tigers. But, I understand your point. Thanks.
Last edited by tonkatim on Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonkatim
Star
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Greater Saint Louis Area

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 17, 2011 2:45 pm

If you get active in the lodge you can get a new Adult one LOL
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby smtroop168 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:33 pm

tonkatim wrote:I have a couple of questions pertaining to the wearing of the OA sash at Webelos Cross-Over. As the Cubmaster, would it be appropriate to put on my very old sash after talking about the Cubs earning the Arrow of Light. I have thought about putting it on while speaking to the Troops ritual team members and then showing the Webelos to the bridge. Taking it off after they have crossed.

Some points first. My lodge does not charge dues. (you should have seen the confusion that I caused at Council offices when I asked the membership manager what it took to re-up OA.)
Second- just back in Scouting after a 31 year hiatus so not active in the Lodge per se. (yet) Could not find my OA handbook in my Scoutbox in Mom's attic.
Third- Troop OA ritual teams??? How cool is that? I was on the District ritual team a long time ago.

So much has changed and yet it all seems to familiar.


Wagion is the ultimate expert on OA stuff on the forum.

And OBTW...Welcome
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: New Birth of Freedom Council Carlisle PA

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby tonkatim » Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 am

That is why I signed up. Thanks.
tonkatim
Star
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Greater Saint Louis Area

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby kwildman » Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 am

there shouldnt be a troop OA ritual team. The troop doesnt make it an OA event. The OA is divided into lodges and chapters. I have seen some troops try to do their own rituals and they are generally full of youth and adults that havent paid dues since their ordeal. :twisted:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Simon Kenton Council

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby tonkatim » Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

The Troop, though small, is very active in OA. So that part is not valid. If the Troop should have a ritual team is dabatable. I do not know if this is common or not, I am just restarting in Scouts with my Tiger Cub after 31 years out. I am not involved in the working of the Troop, I have a very full plate propping up a Pack that was off track. We have three Webelos that have attained Arrow of Light after not having a den meeting until after January, and they have talked another boy who dropped out to join them in the Troop. (I stepped up in January) I wanted to make the ceremony special for all of the Cubs with the awe inspiring aspects of Scouting. But, my scouting background was: It takes just as much effort to do it right as it does to do it wrong. I could not find my handbook. Long gone. So I asked; and got my answer.
tonkatim
Star
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Greater Saint Louis Area

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby wagionvigil » Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 pm

tonkatim wrote:The Troop, though small, is very active in OA. So that part is not valid. If the Troop should have a ritual team is dabatable. I do not know if this is common or not, I am just restarting in Scouts with my Tiger Cub after 31 years out. I am not involved in the working of the Troop, I have a very full plate propping up a Pack that was off track. We have three Webelos that have attained Arrow of Light after not having a den meeting until after January, and they have talked another boy who dropped out to join them in the Troop. (I stepped up in January) I wanted to make the ceremony special for all of the Cubs with the awe inspiring aspects of Scouting. But, my scouting background was: It takes just as much effort to do it right as it does to do it wrong. I could not find my handbook. Long gone. So I asked; and got my answer.


I know of nothing that allows a troop OA ritual team. I will also suggest that you take training for your registered position if you have not done so already. Once you have done that take SM fundamentals Take Wood badge go to a Powder Horn.
Have you seen the special arrows that are sold in Scouting Magazine? these are for Arrow of Light ceremonies.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby FrankJ » Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm

But the question is do you know of anything that prohibits a troop ritual team? :) We have pulled together OA youth to perform for packs in. Since this does not have a formal existence, I would not really call it a team. It does fit into the OA charge of encouraging youth to camp & participate in scouting.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Atlanta Area Council Foothills District

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby Quailman » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Our troop sort of had a troop ritual team a few years ago. They were the only ones interested in doing it, so they covered crossovers all over the district - often doing two a day. Only one member of our troop does it now, and there are several teams.
Quailman
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Sam Houston Area Council, Spring, TX

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby tonkatim » Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 pm

I have all of the training for Cubmaster. We have the arrows for the boys. It is not my Troop to direct. They offered and I accepted. Perhaps my assumption that, dressed as Native Americans, that they were an OA ritual team is wrong. Goodness knows that every Troop does everything by the book.

There is also a tradition where the parents paint bowling pins to look like their Cubs. While a very nice gesture. It does not inspire the awe of Scouting. That is what I was going for and I did not know and that is why I posted my question.

SM Fundamentals in due time... Only my son can tell me if that is needed. Powderhorn? Who knows.

As an aside-my Council does not show up when I post and I do not know why.
tonkatim
Star
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Greater Saint Louis Area

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby Quailman » Wed May 18, 2011 3:53 pm

tonkatim wrote:As an aside-my Council does not show up when I post and I do not know why.


We don't like that council. :lol:
Quailman
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Sam Houston Area Council, Spring, TX

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby kwildman » Wed May 18, 2011 4:40 pm

FrankJ wrote:But the question is do you know of anything that prohibits a troop ritual team? :) We have pulled together OA youth to perform for packs in. Since this does not have a formal existence, I would not really call it a team. It does fit into the OA charge of encouraging youth to camp & participate in scouting.


It is my understanding that for it to be an OA event then it must be organized or approved by the Lodge or the Chapter. Pulling OA youth together to perform for the packs should be done by the chapter since that is one of their responsibilities and the youth are representing that chapter. I think most chapters would welcome help. I know we are always looking for youth that want to do ritual or dance/drum.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Simon Kenton Council

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby tonkatim » Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm

We don't like that council. :lol:[/quote]

:lol:
tonkatim
Star
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Greater Saint Louis Area

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby Quailman » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Actually, I think you have to enter your council in the location field in addition to the council field.
Quailman
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Sam Houston Area Council, Spring, TX

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby RWSmith » Wed May 18, 2011 10:18 pm

tonkatim wrote:....my Council does not show up when I post and I do not know why.

I fixed that for you.
RWSmith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby japhmi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Well the answer is that the OA sash is to only be worn at an OA function or when the OA is providing a service where members should be easily identified. The flap is worn for all other functions to identify an Arrowman. The sash is never worn to COH BOR or meetings. If you were at a Meeting where you were a representative of the Lodge ie unit election team etc then it is appropriate but from what information you provided it would not be a place where it would be worn.

Is this 'official' or just 'customary.' I don't remember anything from my time as a youth as far as 'when you should wear your sash vs not' at a formal event like a COH.

As far as 'troop ceremony teams' - from my time as a youth we would often have many people from the chapter ceremony team in our troop, so if we were going to do a crossover we'd just take the guys from the ceremony teams that were from our troop.
japhmi
Second Class
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 pm
Location: Cascade Pacific Countil - Lewis & Clark and Sunset Trail Districts

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:58 pm

japhmi wrote:
wagionvigil wrote:Well the answer is that the OA sash is to only be worn at an OA function or when the OA is providing a service where members should be easily identified. The flap is worn for all other functions to identify an Arrowman. The sash is never worn to COH BOR or meetings. If you were at a Meeting where you were a representative of the Lodge ie unit election team etc then it is appropriate but from what information you provided it would not be a place where it would be worn.

Is this 'official' or just 'customary.' I don't remember anything from my time as a youth as far as 'when you should wear your sash vs not' at a formal event like a COH.

As far as 'troop ceremony teams' - from my time as a youth we would often have many people from the chapter ceremony team in our troop, so if we were going to do a crossover we'd just take the guys from the ceremony teams that were from our troop.


Right out of the OA Handbook
This would also be found in the Insignia and Uniform Guide
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Appropriate use of an old OA sash

Postby japhmi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:19 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Right out of the OA Handbook
This would also be found in the Insignia and Uniform Guide

The online Insignia and Uniform Guide doesn't say anything other than it's not be be worn on the belt or with a merit badge sash (that I could find).

I don't have a current OA Handbook. Hmmm, I'll have to dig up my old one to see if this is something that's changed, or if it's simply something that wasn't paid attention to before in my area.
japhmi
Second Class
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 pm
Location: Cascade Pacific Countil - Lewis & Clark and Sunset Trail Districts

Next

Return to Order of The Arrow

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest