Valid Election???

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Valid Election???

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 pm

kwildman wrote:I did one election and the unit did not have an adult elected.

In our troop the only 2 eligible adults are already members, one of them Vigil. As I was given to understand the process regarding adults the Committee elects (submits for consideration?) eligible adults, the key word here being "eligible." I was told they had to have the camping requirements met to be eligible. Was I wrongly informed? Our chapter adviser is/was very new to the position at the time.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby kwildman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 am

Reasonable Rascal wrote:
kwildman wrote:I did one election and the unit did not have an adult elected.

In our troop the only 2 eligible adults are already members, one of them Vigil. As I was given to understand the process regarding adults the Committee elects (submits for consideration?) eligible adults, the key word here being "eligible." I was told they had to have the camping requirements met to be eligible. Was I wrongly informed? Our chapter adviser is/was very new to the position at the time.

RR

Whoops - should have used the word Selected and not Elected. Yes the adults have to meet the same eligibility criteria as the youth with the exception of being first class. In the case i was talking about the adult did not have the one week long term camping (summer camp) within the last two years.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wjturner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 am

kwildman wrote:if no one is elected then the form is noted as no youth being elected, all spots are X'd out, and the SM signs the form.

Actually, I found what I was thinking of in the online Guide for Officers and Advisers. As I thought, there may be a second vote if nobody is elected on the first ballot: "If no one is elected, the OA team announces this fact and states that the unit will now be given the opportunity to vote again" (p. 23, # 10).
wjturner
Second Class

Postby kwildman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 pm

wjturner wrote:
kwildman wrote:if no one is elected then the form is noted as no youth being elected, all spots are X'd out, and the SM signs the form.

Actually, I found what I was thinking of in the online Guide for Officers and Advisers. As I thought, there may be a second vote if nobody is elected on the first ballot: "If no one is elected, the OA team announces this fact and states that the unit will now be given the opportunity to vote again" (p. 23, # 10).

yes that is the correct procedure... and if no one is elected the second time then you can x out the ballots, ect.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wjturner » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 am

kwildman wrote:yes that is the correct procedure... and if no one is elected the second time then you can x out the ballots, ect.

Again, I refer you to the GOA:

The votes are counted in private by the election team
and the unit leader to determine who has been
elected. All votes count equally. If at least one has
been elected, the election result is final. If no one is
elected,
the OA team announces this fact and states
that the unit will now be given the opportunity to vote
again. Time is allowed for further explanation of the
purpose of the Order and the election procedures,
and for any questions. (No information about the
votes received by candidates is to be revealed at any
time.) The second ballot is then held immediately,
and if the unit still elects no one, this is the final
result for the year’s election. The OA team places a
check mark next to the names of those who have been
elected.

It never says to X out any ballots. In fact, since it explicitly directs the team to place a check mark next to names of those who have been elected, I suggest anyone who does X out ballot should be very careful to ensure the entire name is crossed out so that someone might not accidentally think it was a mark next to the name.

However, all of this is getting very far away from my original post, which was in support of counting the ballots immediately (since someone suggested a team wasn't doing that), and I made a comment about something special happening if nobody was elected on the first ballot. (I apologize: I was sloppy and left off the phrase "on the first ballot" in my original post, but I assumed it was obvious. I guess I should always remember what assuming does! :) )
wjturner
Second Class

Postby kwildman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:58 pm

the election form we use requires us to only include the names of those who are elected. we x out all the unused spaces where you would write in a name. for an election where no one is elected, the area on the form where you can enter names is x'd out completely and the box for No Election is checked. We had to start x'ing out unused blanks because not all scouter's are trustworthy and honest. :twisted:
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 pm

I knew I shoulda X'ed out the ballot line that Wagion was the last name on! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:40 pm

smtroop168 wrote:I knew I shoulda X'ed out the ballot line that Wagion was the last name on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine was done on papyrus.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:24 pm

wagionvigil wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:I knew I shoulda X'ed out the ballot line that Wagion was the last name on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The fact that you know what papyrus is confirms my suspicions. :wink:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:23 am

smtroop168 wrote:
wagionvigil wrote:

The fact that you know what papyrus is confirms my suspicions. :wink:

I did go to school ya know even if it was in SW PA and WV. I learned to write with a pen with a ink well also, No Kidding
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 am

I read recently that one of the Midwest states was dropping cursive written in favor of keyboarding skills. For you young people out there: cursive writing has nothing to do with Harry Potter.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wjturner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am

FrankJ wrote:I read recently that one of the Midwest states was dropping cursive written in favor of keyboarding skills.

You are probably referring to Indiana. From what I hear from my friends in elementary education, though, it is not by far the first state to do so, and states traditionally ranked with good public school systems have led the charge with first introducing D'Nealian to ease the transition to cursive, and then never actually teach cursive. This seems to have been happening for quite a while.

By the way, the latest article I read said students would still learn how to sign their names. I'm not sure how that will work if they never learn cursive.
wjturner
Second Class

Postby ronin718 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm

FrankJ wrote: For you young people out there: cursive writing has nothing to do with Harry Potter.

Nor does it have anything to do with verbage barred from mixed company. A Scout may be Clean and still practice his cursive. :mrgreen:
ronin718
Eagle

Previous

Return to Order of The Arrow