Multi-troop registration and OA selection

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Multi-troop registration and OA selection

Postby ronin718 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 am

An interesting situation has arisen in my sphere of influence, and I'd like to "hear" the thoughts of the collective wisdom here...

Scouts A and B are dual-registered in two troops, one LDS troop (Troop X) and one non-LDS troop (Troop Y). Troop X is small in number, has a long history of OA activity, but dropped off the scope for several years. Troop Y is very large (120+ members), has a long history of OA activity, but has seen the number of boys selected for OA drop dramatically over the past three years. Leadership is attributing this to large influxes of new members (25-30 per year) over the past three years, with the thought that many of the new boys aren't connecting names on ballots with faces of eligible electees. Typical selection groups prior to the massive influx numbered 8-12 boys. Last two selection groups numbered 2-4 boys.

Scouts A and B are both OA-eligible. Neither was selected in this year's election in Troop Y. Leadership, without disclosing results, have implied that Scout A fared well in the election while not receiving the minimum votes required due to the large voting group, but deserved selection. Nothing noted for Scout B.

Troop X has just announced they will be holding OA elections next week. Only Scouts eligible from Troop X are Scouts A and B. SM for Troop X is also an ASM for Troop Y.

Scout A met with CC and SM from Troop Y to discuss OA election in Troop X. Scout A would prefer to be selected from Troop X. Troop Y CC shared story with Scout A about past Eagle Scouts from Troop Y who never were selected from Troop Y, and if Scout A is truly interested in participation in OA, he should not let the potential opportunity pass while hoping for selection from Troop Y. Only concern is possibility of Troop Y OA-Scouts holding activities that would not include Scout A if he is elected from Troop X because of where his selection came from.

Thoughts?
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Re: Multi-troop registration and OA selection

Postby FrankJ » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:59 am

Nothing I have seen in the OA election rules really covers this. My opinion, The scout is registered in a troop. Meets the criteria for election & is elected, He is in. What happens in the other troop does not matter. I would not worry about it too much. It is all part of a game.

As for as the activities issue. We are all brothers in the OA, if you are excluding brothers because how/where they were elected, you are just Wrong & are missing the point of the OA & scouting in general.

One bit advice for the larger troop: hold the election before cross overs start. That avoids the issue of the new scout having a vote, but not knowing the candidates.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am

Elections are held before the crossovers. Problem is with such large crossovers, 60-70 percent of those present during the elections are first- and second-year guys who might know the faces but not the names of the eligible candidates. Leadership is looking at putting pictures on the ballot next year to help address this problem.
ronin718
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am

ronin718 wrote:... Only concern is possibility of Troop Y OA-Scouts holding activities that would not include Scout A if he is elected from Troop X because of where his selection came from. ...

OA-Scouts in Troop Y are holding troop-level OA activities? Never heard of such a thing. Even if they are holding such activities, Scout A is an OA member and a member of Troop Y, so should be invited to such activities. If he's not, then someone should have a talk with the boys who planned the activity and put an end to such unscoutlike behavior.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 am

For clarification... Troop Y has a large number of OA members. In the interests of increasing service to the community, the Troop OA members are planning activities of service specifically for the troop OA members to participate in, separate from the larger OA body.
ronin718
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Sorry ronin718...reading the scenario made me dizzy. IMHO..Troop x and Troop Y are separate entitites and hold their own elections and the chips fall where they lay. The fact they scouts are dual registered is allowed by the BSA so therefore should be allowed by the OA.

For new crossovers, I would let them recuse themselves and make note of it on the election form results.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:32 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Sorry ronin718...reading the scenario made me dizzy.

I understand. Living the scenario is doing more than making me dizzy. :?
ronin718
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

smtroop168 wrote:For new crossovers, I would let them recuse themselves and make note of it on the election form results.

Following the rules, you can ask that they recluse themselves, but you cannot require them to. You do not need to note it on the results because all scouts have an option not to vote. The elected are the majority of the cast, not of those present.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm just curious...
After registration with a troop or team, have experienced 15 days and nights of Boy Scout camping during the two-year period prior to the election. The 15 days and nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of six consecutive days and five nights of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. The balance of the camping must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps.

"Boy Scout Camping" doesn't have to be with the troop he's elected from, does it? It's not specified, and I'm certain that a boy who moved and transferred his registration could count nights with first troop in addition to his new one. I'm guessing that nights camping with either troop count.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby nolesrule » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 pm

It means an overnight camping experience that falls under the umbrella of Boy Scouts. You could nights camping out with a provisional week at summer camp or even a National Jamboree contingent. It's only meant to differentiate from camping in the backyard on your own, or camping with mom and dad or friends.
Unit Commissioner
Osceola District, WCFC
SR-1022 Bobwhite
nolesrule
Second Class

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 pm

FrankJ wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:For new crossovers, I would let them recuse themselves and make note of it on the election form results.

Following the rules, you can ask that they recluse themselves, but you cannot require them to. You do not need to note it on the results because all scouts have an option not to vote. The elected are the majority of the cast, not of those present.

FrankJ....I don't want them the hide (recluse) just decide on their own not to vote. :lol: :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 pm

smtroop168 wrote:FrankJ....I don't want them the hide (recluse) just decide on their own not to vote. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would have expected nothing less from you. :D
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:58 am

It's a quirk of mine.

I had to gently tell a 3 star Admiral that it was Principle not Principal on one of his briefing slides he was preparing to give the Chief of Naval Operations.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Cowboy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:04 am

Just to clarify for a non OA Scouter: There is an actual "rule" regarding the elections? I was of the understanding that OA elections required that if a boy received one vote he was in. For some reason our OA elections always seem to fall when I am busy with something, so have never paid much attention to them.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 am

Cowboy wrote:Just to clarify for a non OA Scouter: There is an actual "rule" regarding the elections? I was of the understanding that OA elections required that if a boy received one vote he was in. For some reason our OA elections always seem to fall when I am busy with something, so have never paid much attention to them.

Absolutely. Wagion is the OA expert but you can refer to

http://www.oa-bsa.org/misc/basics/index.html

to learn more
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Cowboy wrote:Just to clarify for a non OA Scouter: There is an actual "rule" regarding the elections? I was of the understanding that OA elections required that if a boy received one vote he was in. For some reason our OA elections always seem to fall when I am busy with something, so have never paid much attention to them.
Here are the relevant rules:
At least half of the registered active youth in a unit must be present before a unit election can be held.
To be elected a youth candidate must receive half or more votes of the number of ballots turned in to the election team.
At least half of the active youth members of the Troop or team must be present, but if the younger Scouts don't know the eligible Scouts, they should refrain from turning in a ballot. Only the ballots turned in are counted toward determining how many votes are required.

Example: 29 or 30 active youth members of the Troop. At least 15 must be present.

If all 29 or 30 are present and all of them turn in ballots, even if some of the ballots are blank, the Scouts would need 15 or more votes to be elected.

If there are at least 15 present and 15 turn in ballots, even if some of the ballots are blank, the Scouts would need 8 or more votes to be elected.

If there are at least 15 present, and only 7 or 8 ballots are turned in, all Scouts with 4 or more votes would be elected.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:33 pm

So Cowboy is right, you can get elected with only one vote. :)
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:06 pm

smtroop168 wrote:So Cowboy is right, you can get elected with only one vote. :)
Yes.

IF, and only if, only 1 or 2 Scouts turn in ballots.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 pm

But Paul...What if the Troop has 837 members and 590 show up and only one turns in a ballot? Does Wagion get elected? 8)

Hey...it's Saturday night and I'm sitting here dealing with my favorite family who thinks I'm out to get their son because he wasn't put on the OA ballot. Doesn't matter that he wasn't eligible. And I'm not fostering positive feelings for the scouting program.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:47 pm

You should serve as A Lodge Adv. for Three Years. Espesically when no one was use to having the rules enforced.

See Troop Rules :lol: :wink:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Next

Return to Order of The Arrow