OA Chapter participation....

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

OA Chapter participation....

Postby Eaglescout711 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

My Chapter is haveing trouble with participation. We have 5 youth attending our monthly metings with a total of 164 members. Are there any ideas I can use to try to boost my participation. Our Lodge Cheif, Associate Lodge Advisor, and Staff Advisor are all apart of our Chapter and they are quite upset also that this chapter that was Best Chapter All Around Few years back is now on the verge of dimsing. Please Help!!!!
Eaglescout711
Scout

Re: Participation

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 pm

UNless you are a Metro COuncil you do not need chapters.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Eaglescout711 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Chapters in our lodge are vital to the participation, fun, and fellowship of our lodge.
Eaglescout711
Scout

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

He has 165 members in his chapter. Certainly enough to justify a chapter? The question is how to get participation? Obviously the program has to be meaningful, fun, and well communicated. Still really does not answer how. I would like to know the answer as well.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby FieldSports » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

FUN. Plain and simple.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Re: OA Chapter participation....

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Eaglescout711

Papago Lodge? Me too! Victorio Chapter.

We are also struggling! My son was chapter chief several years ago.

We have chapter meetings the same night a leaders roundtable. Since many arrowmen have dads and moms attending roundtable it helps bring in arrowmen too!

Have a list of all arrowmen and talk to them during elections. Find out their interests. Dues status. Ask non-committed arrowmen to remove their flaps.

Our Spring Camporee is sponsored by Victorio Chapter and Arrowmen run stations etc.

Call out is during the Spring Camporee.

Call every troop before elections. Emphasize brotherhood and service at elections.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Wagionvigil

In rural districts, chapters are critical to keep OA alive. There are only two Councils / Lodges in all of AZ. If you live in Tucson or "the Valley" (Phoenix & vic) things are fine, but the rest of the state is another matter. When my son was chapter chief it was a monthly 1.5 hour one way trip to lodge meetings and we are relativily close to Tucson. My earlier post to Eagle711 outlines some of the things that we do so that our arrowmen can be arrowmen.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:34 am

WeeWillie wrote:Wagionvigil

In rural districts, chapters are critical to keep OA alive. There are only two Councils / Lodges in all of AZ. If you live in Tucson or "the Valley" (Phoenix & vic) things are fine, but the rest of the state is another matter. When my son was chapter chief it was a monthly 1.5 hour one way trip to lodge meetings and we are relativily close to Tucson. My earlier post to Eagle711 outlines some of the things that we do so that our arrowmen can be arrowmen.

Same kind of thing happens in WV (rural also). Our Council has 6 Districts. From one of them easily 3.5 hours to a common meeting place (in good weather :-) ). In the other direction 2 hours. One of the districts is spread out enough that they regularly hold 2 different Round Tables.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Return to Order of The Arrow