Has anybody served as OA Conclave Adviser?

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Has anybody served as OA Conclave Adviser?

Postby biglou » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:25 pm

I am going to need some help and advice. I have been asked to serve as OA Conclave adviser and could use anything to help make the Conclave my Lodge is hosting a success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: Has anybody served as OA Conclave Adviser?

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 pm

I just did one, biglou. First, each Lodge attending chose one of the following responsibilities: 1. American Indian Affairs
2. Friday Night Show
3. Friday Night Special Events
4. Publications (a newsletter at each meal)
5. Recreation (Saturday athletic contests)
6. Saturday Night Show
7. Saturday Night Special Events (we had a patch auction)
8. Host Lodge
9. Training (held Saturday AM w/ Section VC in charge).
As host Lodge, these were our responsibilities and we found a youth and an adult who were co-chairman. They recruited their own team members as needed. 1. Administration (budget, communications, insurance, etc.)
2. Medical Staff (EMT & nurse, reviewed all medicals, supplies)
3. Kitchen & Food (meals & cracker barrels)
4. Security (parking, emergency vehicles, 2-way radios)
5. Maintenance (camp preperation, event aud./vis. needs)
6. Guides (take visiting Lodge to Camp Sites)
7. Registration (check all forms,assign lodging, hand out
memorabilia, handle the budget, make swag bags)
If you would like more detail, e-mail me and I'll provide it. The Section met 5 - 6 times to establish all of the little details, like menu, patch design & memorabilia, medical form format and registration form (paper and on-line). Once the Host Lodge Committies were formed, we (youth chairman and myself as advisor) created punch lists and they ran themselves. As our motto goes: "Be Prepared" and it will run itself and YOU will also have fun. Good Luck!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:45 am

Lets see you have 5 lodges in your section. The COC will set the price and the job rotation. If you are the Home lodge you are responsible to develope the menus and have them approved, Patch, physicial arangements etc. Remember if you feed them right they will not care about anything else. I can give you the email of our last Conclave adv and he did a great job Hey we had Ribs for Dinner on Saturday
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:59 am

I should have added that my Lodge will be hosting. Sorry about that and thanks for the responses.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41 am

Biglou, there will be at least 4 or 5 COC meetings before conclave next year, I will be at everyone one them seeing my son is our lodge chief and another boy that was in our troop "just turned 18" and now is a younger/older member of our troop is the section chief and I'm one of there taxi's. They will hash out everything down to the smallest detail at these COC meetings. Anything else you ever wanted to know about in the OA our section adult advisor can help you out with, he is the best person I have ever got to meet in or out of scouting. If you are at these meeting everything you will ever need to know about the upcoming conclave will happen at these meeting and I will interduce myself to you along with the section advisor. There may be a COC meeting this Sunday, I will look at my son's calendar when I get home.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby biglou » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 pm

I have downloaded information about the ops of the OA from wikipedia. Amazing what you can find. I only have an electric copy of the Ordeal and Brotherhood Ceremonies that I found online :twisted: !

lifescoutforlife, I will be at Camp Mountain Run this weekend. I will be busy helping with Cub Expo on Saturday and my Council's Jambo Meeting and Section Meeting. It is gonna be fun. As for meeting Mr. Woboldt, I have met him 9 years ago. I owe him an apology because I turned down a DE job with your council when Jaime Shearer was the CE. I apologized to Jaime and he laughed and told me "I told you so!" I look back and think to myself and say "self, that was the dumbest thing you did turning down being a DE to be a paramedic!" LOL.

FYI, the Council of Chiefs is only allowed to meet 4 times prior to a conclave. I looked it up in the FOG. One of those funky rules I am Scouter Retentive about.

Is Joe Byrne still active up there? If he is tell him that "TINY" says hello. He will know who you mean.
Last edited by biglou on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby biglou » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Oh yeah, I should have added this one. I have been to Conclaves before as a Scout between 1990 and 1994. The first one was memorable. Standing outside with a pair of shorts on watching the storms roll in! Ahhhh the memories!
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby biglou » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Whew! Off the hook. I got the call just minutes ago and somebody else agreed to be adviser. With everything else I am involved with, Venturing Summit, Crew Advisor, Scoutmaster, Jamboree Scoutmaster, I guess I am busy enough! LOL Thanks for all the help I got. I will be sharing that with the new adviser! Man this has to be the shortest advisership in my history.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:37 am

Well if you still have a little time we will be at Mountain Run at 2pm this Sunday. I talked with Mr Wolboldt last night and he was going to email you with everything he had on conclaves of past. If the new guy has a email and wants something before Sunday let me know and Mr Wolboldt will send it to him. Joe Byrne stepped out of scouts a couple years ago, he was the Eagle Board Chairman at the time, I sat on a couple Eagle Boards with him and helped him run a couple of the Councils pinewood derbys, he is a great guy, his wife was my oldest son's Wolf and Bear leader and they are both great people to be around. Joe only lives about 3 miles from me and when I see him I will tell him you said hello.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 am

I was just asked to be the conclave advisor for the 2013 conclave that will be at our camp in June of 2013. I no longer was asked and my oldest son was asked to be the chairman for it. Should be a lot of fun working with him and other arrowmen over the next year and a half planning things out.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Return to Order of The Arrow