What is the Purpose of Chapters?

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What is the Purpose of Chapters?

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:32 am

In Reality chapters were set up for Very Large Lodges (in square miles) where attending a meeting would require an overnight stay. But it has changed drasticially from what is was intended and in most cases they cause more problems than they are worth. It becomes a power strugle between chapters.
How do I know that this was the reason? We have in our lodge one of the original members of our Lodge and he is still active. AS an adult he served in Region OA Leadership posiions and help develope the idea of chapters.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Our lodge does the 'chapter' thing different. Instead of having chapters, we just divide up into the six districts in our council. Guess it still is pretty much a chapter though.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 am

pipestone1991 wrote:Our lodge does the 'chapter' thing different. Instead of having chapters, we just divide up into the six districts in our council. Guess it still is pretty much a chapter though.

I'm not sure that is 'different'. Our Council has 22 districts, and our Lodge has 22 chapters.

I don't think any of our districts/chapters are large geographically, but most are large in numbers. We have districts/chapters with more registered members than some councils/lodges. There are way too many people to do everything on a lodge level. Chapter and Lodge officers meet together in the monthly Lodge Executive Committee meeting. They coordinate things that are done together as a lodge. (Summer Fellowship, Anual Lodge Banquet, Lodge booth at Scout-O-Rama, and some Ordeal/Brotherhood/Vigil ceremonies.) Everything else is done on a chapter level.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 am

Yes your council is what chapters were made for. They are great as long as they do not become This Chapter against that chapter and sadly in many cases that is what happens. You have chapter Chiefs that have never met their lodge chief. Or even know who he is.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: What is the Purpose of Chapters?

Postby Mantowagan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:58 am

My home Lodge is quite large geograhpically, and it would be extremely expensive to have everyone meet in one location, so the Chapter system works well for us. However, recently and historically, its led to power struggles at the Lodge level.

Just before I joined as a Youth the Lodge was very active politically, with two chapters often vying for power in Lodge Offices. Since I joined the Council has redistricted atleast three times. As our Chapters reflect the Districts, that means we've changed our Chapters three times, and has really weakened them as each time we loose members in the shuffle.

Recently though, one particular chapter has kept their act together and have become rather strong in membership. The only other group in our Lodge that is as organized is the Lodge Ceremonies Team. Our last Lodge elections showed a potential conflict between these two groups. Every Lodge Office was a competition between a member of the particular chapter, and a ceremony team member.

As of yet there hasn't been any hostile confrontation, but myself and others have noted this chapter is strong arming their members into office in elections.
Eagle Scout 2005
Vigil Honor 2005
Have you seen the Arrow?
ASM, MB Counselor, Eagle Scout Mentor
Mantowagan
Tenderfoot

Return to Order of The Arrow