Order of the arrow elections

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Order of the arrow elections

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:50 am

It is something that most lodge struggle with and you must stay on it constantly.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 am

Let's talk OA Elections. Do you have election teams in costume, with script memorized, for Troop election visits, or is everyone just happy to have 2 or 3 warm bodies show up?
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:05 am

We have never had them in dress. WE usually have a couple son and dad teams in each district go out.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Quailman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:19 am

ditto.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:26 am

Our election teams are 2 Youth and an adult. All three attend in full scout uniform with OA sash. the youth under the watchful eye of their adult advisor arrive at the Troop meeting, meet with the SM and conduct the election process.

Entire process usually takes 20-30 minutes.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 am

Chief J wrote:Our election teams are 2 Youth and an adult. All three attend in full scout uniform with OA sash. the youth under the watchful eye of their adult advisor arrive at the Troop meeting, meet with the SM and conduct the election process.

Entire process usually takes 20-30 minutes.

Chief J

BINGO!!!!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:40 am

We had our elections last night. Had six eligible scouts and three chose to be considered for election. Now the long wait until the Spring Camporee to see who gets called. :D
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Chief J wrote:Our election teams are 2 Youth and an adult. All three attend in full scout uniform with OA sash. the youth under the watchful eye of their adult advisor arrive at the Troop meeting, meet with the SM and conduct the election process.

Do they have to have a Tour Permit? :P Actually do Lodge events such as Ordeals and Fellowship weekends fall under TP rules? If I bring a number of my troop members to Lodge event as a unit do I need one?

How is YP ensured? :)

If the youth run the OA, what is the watchful eye for? :wink:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:54 pm

OA is an Individual activity and as such is exempt from TP
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Makes sense to me but Lodge events are BSA events so the YP/2 deep rules still apply?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Youth Protection rules apply. Does not necessarily require two adults at a meeting. (Still no one on one contact)

OA events would be considered district/council event and as such would not need a tour permit in our council. YMMV

Chapter/lodges have an adult adviser to guide & insure that BSA policies are followed.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Chief J » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

OA events are considered Council level here. As long as the activity occurs within the council, no tour permit is required. If a committee (such as dance team) is leaving the council, then a tour permit is filed.

As far as YP and other boy scout policies, they apply and are enforced.

The reason for the watchful adult eye is to help the youth stay on track and not get in over their head. the youth come up with the idea, adopt the plan, and execute. the adults are their to ensure the policies of the BSA and other laws/rules are followed and done safely. We don't plan it, the adults just make sure the youth plan it safely. (This is where old age and experience gierally may be more valuable than youth and ambition).

Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby kimberbakos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Our troop elections were last night, and we had five eligible boys. Four got elected - the one who did not was my son :( He was one vote short, and hadn't voted for himself, because he thought voting for himself would be a vote against one of his friends. He didn't understand that the votes weren't out of a set total and that each individual's votes were separate from the votes for the other boys. He was so angry at himself for not understanding and for doing what he thought was the right thing by not being selfish and trying to get the spot for himself. So his display of the right attitude cost him his spot in OA. So he'll have to try again next year.
Xiamenmom
Mom to one Scout
MB counselor/Activities chair
kimberbakos
First Class

Postby kwildman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm

kimberbakos wrote:Our troop elections were last night, and we had five eligible boys. Four got elected - the one who did not was my son :( He was one vote short, and hadn't voted for himself, because he thought voting for himself would be a vote against one of his friends. He didn't understand that the votes weren't out of a set total and that each individual's votes were separate from the votes for the other boys. He was so angry at himself for not understanding and for doing what he thought was the right thing by not being selfish and trying to get the spot for himself. So his display of the right attitude cost him his spot in OA. So he'll have to try again next year.

We had a similar issue where after the fact several scouts claimed that they didnt know they could vote for more than one. I know that the OA rep, OA advisor, SM, and myself each said at least once that you can vote for none, one, two, three, or all four. We also told the boys that they SHOULD vote for themselves.

How is it that they know that night who got elected? Is this a regional thing? In our District, only the SM knows who got elected that night. The kids wont find out until the callouts at the spring camporee.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby kimberbakos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

I don't know if it is a district/council thing, or just our troop, but it is always announced following the election. That way the boys who have been elected can make plans to either come to summer camp and be tapped out and do their ordeal there, or if they are busy the week of summer camp, they can do the ordeal that our OA has every year in May instead. That way, no one who is elected misses out on the opportunity simply because they didn't know it was coming their way.
Xiamenmom
Mom to one Scout
MB counselor/Activities chair
kimberbakos
First Class

Postby Mrw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Our election results are always announced the night of the elections too. We do not have a spring district camporee, but a fall one, so waiting until the camporee to let the boys know would be a problem.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:45 pm

I think announcing the results of the election is more of a troop thing. We wait until camporee which is before any of the ordeals in our Council. If some reason a scout misses the tap out, they are told so they do not miss the opportunity.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 pm

isnt one of the "purposes" of OA to promote camping? We are a very small district and our OA generally puts on 2 camporee's spring and winter. The spring one in advance of the ordeal weekends. If a scout misses the camporee they are then notified. I think the callout ceremony promotes the OA and encourages participation. I dont see much excitement in announcing right after the vote.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:09 pm

All of our candidates are called out during summer camp.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 am

Call outs were this weekend. My youngest son was the only scouter from our troop. I was surprised about also being called out. I guess someone figured that i didnt have enough to do in scouting already. Should be really special doing the Ordeal with my son.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

PreviousNext

Return to Order of The Arrow