Order of the arrow elections

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby WVBeaver05 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Let me comment on a couple previous posts.

As Wagion says - USE THE ELECTION TEAM! They have the resources to present a very clear description of the program.

The YOUTH make the decisions - I saw this with my Troop when it consisted of mostly young Scouts, many of whom had no idea what OA was.

The election team took about 30 minutes to explain and answer questions. There were 3 Scouts eligible. Two were elected. The 3rd Scout had not been very active in the preceeding year and the Youth recognized that.

So, I say, the system works. I do call it elite, not elitist. It isn't perfect, but it does work.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:41 pm

I have no problem with that except when the boys become spiteful vs fair. Can the Leaders override the vote? Some of those elected can't hold a candle to this scout. Can an OA member have his membership revoked by his peers? Thanks for the info.

Wagionvigil probably answered it all, but:

The spiteful vs fair can only be handled by fully explaining the process before the election & relying on the scouts to follow the scouts oath. It happens more often than not.

The leaders cannot override the vote. The SM approves all candidates Before the vote (not after).

The only way a membership in the OA can be revoked is by revoking the scout's membership in the BSA.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks to all for the feedback. Sometimes you wonder how the spiteful ones would feel if the situation was reversed. Fotunately this scout didn't quit. Probably be a Vigil someday. Just wanted to get your guys take before we hold our election.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Chief J » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:52 am

Billiken wrote:Refresh my memory, if we have an election, and all 3 of the Scouts are on the ballot, what percentage of the vote does each need for election?

As stated above, use the Lodge election Teams. In our lodge, the vote is not valid unless conducted by a properly trained independent election team.

As for the percentage of the vote, majority of the votes cast. Each voter can vote for all, some, none, oif the candidates. They can also abstain from casting a vote.

Best Regards,
Chief J
Last edited by Chief J on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:53 am

FYI Our lodge will not honor any election without someone from the election committee present. They just tell the sm he must have another election with someone present. Sometimes the results change when the second eection is held. We have also had SM identify someone that was not elected to be pulled. There comment was well you ;pulled them you must take them. Well actualy no as they were not elected. You see we have a meeting immediatly after the calling out to compare election results with those pulled. AS LA I would take the SM and The Scout to the Scouts parents and say your SM make a very grave mistake as your son was not elected. He may be next year. Some of you will say well that is not fair you are punishing the scout. I disagree the scout was getting soemthing he did not deserve.
Our Election teams also bring with them a current advancement report to make sure all are First CLass. We tell the SM hat the advancement report is the law.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm

I get the impression that Lodges are run like Troops. Some great and some not so great. Wagion's Lodge sounds like a Hall-of-Famer. Ours seems to struggle to get scouts to Lodge meetings although there seem to be plenty of old guys there.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Anyone that would like visit a Wagion Lodge #6 weekend please contact me. you can come as a guest. Of course you pay your weekend fee :D
The Next Weekend is in April
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:58 pm

smtroop168 wrote:I get the impression that Lodges are run like Troops. Some great and some not so great. Wagion's Lodge sounds like a Hall-of-Famer. Ours seems to struggle to get scouts to Lodge meetings although there seem to be plenty of old guys there.

I can answer why . I Think :)
1. We have never Merged we are still pure. I do not know for how much longer.
2. We have 12 Former lodge advisors that are still active
3. Our adults actually care that the lodge is youth led.
4. We are active on the section and region The Past 3 Section Chiefs are from Wagion the Immediate Past Region Chief is from Wagion.
5.If You look at 1. We have one of the Original Members still active
6. WE do not have chapters and there are no politics. This district against that district.
7. Our Weekends are cheerful service but we still have fun activities for the Youth and Adults. This varies weekend to weekend and Activities committee to activities committee.
8. We actually have Lodge Chiefs from Other Lodges attend our weekends because we have a great time.

PS Dr Goodman was Actually present when our lodge was formed!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:39 am

Hey Wagionvigil,

When do you have time to run "fun activities" at a Spring lodge meeting? And what types? We are so busy setting up camp and cleaning up after all of the winter damage here in upstate NY, there is no time left! The younger brothers hate to come because of all of the work. They go home exausted. This is even after a successful Beaver Day.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 am

OK here is our schedule For Present members

7:00M-9:00PM Friday Checkin/registration
8:00PM Executive Board Meeting
9:00PM Friday Snack. Pizza,sloppy joes,Tacos, Varies weekend to weekend. Movies,Board Games etc until Midnight or so
7:00 Breakfast
8:00 -12:00 Cheerful service
12:20-1:00 Lunch
1:00-3:00 Cheerful Service
3:00-5:00 Activites Frisbee,Dunk Tank, Log Throw, Horse Shoes,Pumpkin Carving,Pumpkin Shoot(shotgun range) This all varies
6:00 Brotherhood Calling out
6:30 Dinner
7:30 A Scout Is reverent
815 until Over Ceremonies

Snack after Ceremonies Wings, keilbasa and Kraut this also Varies
Midnight Madness Fun games under tarps, Dart throw Think Carnival Games.
DJ Playing Music this includes the new Ordeal since it ia safter ceremonies Untill 2:00am

8:30 am Breakfast
9:30 Business meeting
see you neext weekend

We usually do a weekend patch and have done glo in the dark specials for Midnight Maddness.
All this may vary but it is possible.
We have an August Felloeship weekend that only rdeals and Aduls do Cheerful service
And October Weekend
APril Weekend
June weekend
Plus we have a Banquet in February. Not just a banquet but swimming, Basketball,Committee Training and all day fun OA day, Topped off with a Auction of scouting stuff and the banquet. The proceeds for the auction goes to defray the Youth Cost for NOAC.
ANy more questions I will be glad to help.

Ordeal Checkin 7:00 8:00 Seaparate from Regular member checkin

Ordeal Gathering 9:00 pre Ordeal ceremony and Klan division
Ordeal

5:00am Up and At them
6:00 Scant Breakfast
7-11:45 Cheerful service
12:00 Scant Lunch
12:45- 4:00 Cheerful Service
6:00 Brotherhood Calling Out Diner with Lodge
7:30 a scout is reverent
Ceremonies

Welcome to the lodge you are now a member.
Last edited by wagionvigil on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Then I take it you do your Ordeal on another weekend. We have Spring/Lodge weekend the first weekend in June. By that time, the snow has melted :( and the mud has dried :lol: unless it rains! We work, have Ordeal and Brotherhood ceremonies, and only save the Vigil's until the end of summer. Not much time for fellowship things. We do those at other times or into the night (UGH). Both O and B ceremonies are held through-out summer camp, plus fall weekend . . the first weekend in Septemberwhen we break camp down.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:15 pm

No, there are Ordeal every lodge weekend. August we usually have around 100-120 October 50-80 APril 20-50 June 15 or less. We also have Brotherhood interviews going on each weekend for those that did not take them at camp in the summer. Any More Questions?
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Anyone have any great suggestions on Brotherhood conversions? We barely get enough to make Quality Lodge every year. Sure would like to see more!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 pm

We held our election last week with a Lodge election team (of 1). All 4 scouts were elected and very excited when we announced the results.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:54 pm

I haven't checked lately, but I thought an election team (!) consisted of at least 3 Youth (that would be up to 21 for OA) and an Adult. (??)

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:29 am

We do Brotherhood Interviews at Summer Camp. Each week of camp we have Lodge members that volunteer to do the interviews. WE also keep track of the new Ordeals and make sure they get all the information they need for the Brotherhood Interview. We had the dame problme you are having until we started to be very proactive about it. The Adult Adviser for the Brotherhood Committee was the youth Chairman when I was Lodge Adv. He really came up with a plan and the committee still executing it.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:52 am

Wasn't my call. He showed up and held the election. I figured he's a Vigil member and knows what needs to be done.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Re:

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:Anyone have any great suggestions on Brotherhood conversions? We barely get enough to make Quality Lodge every year. Sure would like to see more!

Constant arm twisting! Pester anyone you see wearing an Ordeal sash; tell them how often you offer Brotherhood and how and WHY it is important to get it. Make up a lodge's cheat sheet and give one to all prospects. Get them into the hands of all the lodge officers and OA rep on camp staff to give to Ordeal members. Hand them out to Ordeal members at elections. Ask anyone wearing a flap at any council/district event about their status. Make constant reminders and announcements at any roundtable or other event. Have the Membership Secretary send a letter from the Chief congratulating Ordeal members on their elegibility status for Brotherhood and encourage them to come to the next opportunity to seal their membership. Post a reminder on your Council's website...
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Re: Order of the arrow elections

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Our Brotherhood committee is really on this. They track the new ordeal and send them all the information they need when they ae eligible. We also have Brotherhood Interviews each week at summer camp.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Order of the arrow elections

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:44 am

I know it's been a while on this thread. But, your suggestions have been put to work and the lodge had 22% conversion to Brotherhood between summer camp and the fall weekend this year. Constant contact and "arm twisting" of Ordeal members IS WORKING. Thanks everyone!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Order of The Arrow