New OA Member!

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

New OA Member!

Postby pipestone1991 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:20 am

Hey guys, got back from my Ordeal yesterday, t'was a blast. I plan on doing my Brotherhood at the spring Ordeal (which is in May, exactly ten months from now) so I better start studying. I really want to get into the OA, I'm going to the Fall Fellowship (Sept. 29-Oct. 1) and want to start going to district OA meetings.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby gwd-scouter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 am

Congrats Pipestone. Both my sons are in OA (Brotherhood) and really enjoy it. Unfortunately, our local chapter doesn't do much so they are mostly involved in lodge activities: fall and spring fellowships and ceremonies.
gwd-scouter
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:43 pm

fantastic! I am a big supporter of the OA. It is really a great organization if operated as planned. Keep at it.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: New OA Member!

Postby Billiken » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:46 pm

pipestone1991:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Growing up I too really enjoyed the OA spring/fall/summer conclaves/campouts (even though our council camp was a 3 hour drive away). "...bound in brotherhood, gather the clan..." :D

This past summer was my first visit to 7Ranges. I was not in camp the Wed. night of the Buckeye Lodge Call-Out. (Had a Cleveland Council fundraising function in Cleveland.) I look forward to seeing the ceremony next year.

Keep up the good work in scouting AND school.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby 2boysRscouts » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:01 pm

How about OA for dummies? I know about the ordeal, but what exactly comes next?
2boysRscouts
Second Class

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:16 am

After 10 Months you can seal your membership by taking your Brotherhood interview and going through the brotherhood ceremony. Of course you should be attending service weekends and other lodge Functions.
Our Lodge has 4 service weekends a year plus a February Banquet/fun day , a Spring nature Walk for the Cub Scouts is done in MAy. Plus there are section activities like Conclave where several Lodges get together for a weekend of fellowship and competitions and every 2 years is NOAC National OA Convention.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:55 am

Congratulations Pipestone!!

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 am

Welcome to the OA!
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks guys.......I'm looking forward to getting involved.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: New OA Member!

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Billiken wrote:pipestone1991:

This past summer was my first visit to 7Ranges. I was not in camp the Wed. night of the Buckeye Lodge Call-Out. (Had a Cleveland Council fundraising function in Cleveland.) I look forward to seeing the ceremony next year.

The tap-out you saw this year is (I think, haven'tbeen down yet) where they held in the early days of 7Ranges. They sarted going back there last year in 2006. Before it was in the field south-east of the trading-post.Shame I won't get to see the tap-out this year, I'll be at my Brothehood ceremony.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 am

Was at Camp last evening so my son could do his Brotherhood Ceremony. (Upon the eve of his 10 months service to the lodge). Very impressive. I am also a Brotherhood member.

My son really enjoys the OA and the friends he has made attending these functions. I agree with Wagionvigil, it is a great organization if the lodge is run the way it is supposed to.

WWW,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Congratulations, welcome to the OA.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby scubascout » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:30 pm

got mine back in june, we cleaned fire barrels, widded, mulched and fence a garden, flattened out big piles of gravel and rock on road, cleaned a tool shed, and dug holes for a new fence
scubascout
Life

Postby scouter01 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:18 pm

so does one get invited or........
scouter01
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:56 am

Once you have been elected in your troop and called out at camp or another scout activity the Lodge SHould send you a letter with the Ordeal Information on it. In Wagion #6 the first half of summer camp are invited to take theior Ordeal in August and the last half get letters inviting them to take their Ordeal in October. We also have an APril and June weekend which we offer Ordeal opportunities.
Last edited by wagionvigil on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:35 am

scouter01 wrote:so does one get invited or........

To expand on Wagionvigil's information. If you are a Scout, you must be the rank of First Class or above, and also have completed fifteen nights of camping in the two year's prior to your election. The fifteen nights of camping must include one (and only one) long term (summer) camp of either five or six nights. Finally, with Scoutmaster approval your name will be placed on the ballot.

Fort the election, all eligible youth members (up to age 21 in the case of O/A) may cast their vote, and majority means you have been elected.

For adults, you must meet the same camping requirements as youth members, and additionally, be nominated and approved for nomitation by the Lodge. A Troop must have at least one youth member elected before they may nominate an adult.

Best Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 pm

Chief J wrote:
scouter01 wrote:so does one get invited or........

To expand on Wagionvigil's information. If you are a Scout, you must be the rank of First Class or above, and also have completed fifteen nights of camping in the two year's prior to your election. The fifteen nights of camping must include one (and only one) long term (summer) camp of either five or six nights. Finally, with Scoutmaster approval your name will be placed on the ballot.

Fort the election, all eligible youth members (up to age 21 in the case of O/A) may cast their vote, and majority means you have been elected.

For adults, you must meet the same camping requirements as youth members, and additionally, be nominated and approved for nomitation by the Lodge. A Troop must have at least one youth member elected before they may nominate an adult.

Best Regards,
Chief J

does this have to be BSA camping? with your troop? (etc)

how do people vote me in if they don't know me? (do i make a speech, right soemthing....)

edit:For the camping quesition, its because I go to a summer camp for the whole summer. and during that time I went on went on over 21 days of camping,( like real camping, more hard core than my troop does anyway, since it was canoeing and backbacking) so does this count?
Last edited by scouter01 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 pm

Yes. You can count one long term camp the rest must be camporees ,Troop Camp outs etc.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scouter01 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:14 pm

i edited my question to explain that I did 21 days Of "real caming" during the 2 monthes so does this count? ( it was over 4 separate trips if this helps)
scouter01
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Was it with a scout unit? It must be scout camping
wagionvigil
Counselor

Next

Return to Order of The Arrow