stepfather in eagle CoH

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

stepfather in eagle CoH

Postby tnkropf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:14 pm

I am in the process of planning my son's Eagle court of honor.

At the end the mother pins the pin on the son and the father presents the certificate. Then the scout gives parents pins. Can anyone recommend how to do this with a stepfather as well? I have an extra father pin. Perhaps the mother pins and presents the certificate? So as to not exclude either of the men?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
tnkropf
Scout

Re: stepfather in eagle CoH

Postby Quailman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Great that everyone is involved. Watch to make sure nobody's toes get stepped on. Otherwise, ask the Eagle Scout what he'd like to do. Get the three parents (or four) involved to see if they can get along and do what the Scout wants. He's lucky to have bonus parents that support him.

Maybe he'd like to have all the parents come up and pin them all on himself. It's his day.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:56 am

Without reading anything into this specific situation, it is a time for grownups to be grownups and not sour the ECOH for the youth. If both adults have been significant factor in the youths life, they both should be recognized. But remember it is just a pin. It is not about the pin anyway. (Maybe different if it was a patch :) )

It does seem you have that in mind. Once again mine is a general comment.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:56 pm

I had a similar situation. The step father was totally involved with the Eagle Pjt. So both father & step father got Dad pins but the step father also got the mentor pin. Mom pinned the Eagle medal on and the CC presented the certificate along with an Eagle necherchief.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby BartHumphries » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm

There are no requirements for an Eagle Court of Honor, no prescribed ceremony that has to be followed. So you all can really do whatever you all, as adults, decide to do. :)

In my experience, I usually see the Scoutmaster (or whoever is acting as Master of Ceremonies) present everything to the boy, and the boy then turns and presents anything to a parent. Then the only question would be, "Who does the boy present to first?"
BartHumphries
Star

Return to Eagle Scout