Workbook Use

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Workbook Use

Postby agdparker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:36 pm

In the August-September Advancement Newsletter, there was an article about the Eagle Project Workbook and its use. I saw some concerning quotes in there, including:

The workbook only needs to be filled out to the extent that it is useful for the Scout.

Lack of a final plan, or one that is not completed to the satisfaction of anyone other than the project beneficiary, must not be used as a reason for unit leaders to refuse to sign a project report. To do otherwise is a misinterpretation of the Guide to Advancement, and essentially adds an advancement requirement. If the approved project was completed to the satisfaction of the project beneficiary, then a certain amount of planning, development, and leadership must have occurred—even if it is not documented by a final plan.

While I think I understand what the National Advancement team is trying to do, I think it may cause some Scouts/Parents/Leaders to read it as the Workbook is completely optional. To me, this goes directly against the wording in the Eagle rank requirements that says (emphasis added):
While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. (The project must benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) A project proposal must be approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your unit leader and unit committee, and the council or district before you start. You must use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook, BSA publication No. 512-927, in meeting this requirement. (To learn more about the Eagle Scout service project, see the Guide to Advancement, topics 9.0.2.0 through 9.0.2.16.)

I understand they want to avoid making the paperwork become overly important, but I am afraid of the precedent they may be setting with this article. Maybe I need to stew a little more on it. BSA has used the word "must", which seems pretty explicit, but now seems ambiguous given the recent article. I can just see Scouts turning in the Contacts page now as their sole use of the Eagle Project workbook or something equally sparse like putting in their name. If you say "must", then say it doesn't have to be used, it will lead to confusion.
agdparker
Star

Re: Workbook Use

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:53 pm

While I can understand your concerns, I'm glad that BSA is recognizing that every detail of the workbook may not be needed for every scout. Basic information is needed, and required, but some parts may be less important.
Let's be honest. There are 30ish pages in the new workbook. Many of them go into finite details that only a bureaucrat will ever want to read. That packet is overwhelming to most scouts. I usually have to give them some pointers of which parts to fill out so that they can get their project approved, and then which parts need to be added as the project progresses.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Re: Workbook Use

Postby agdparker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Sorry, but it is going a bit further than every detail not being needed. They've effectively just said that an entire section is optional. To me, the Eagle requirement and this new guideline directly conflict.
agdparker
Star

Return to Eagle Scout