Minimum Number of Service Hours

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Minimum Number of Service Hours

Postby Chez » Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 pm

A scout leader told me that I need a minimum of 100 service hours for my Eagle Project while I was at his son's project. His son obviously didn't do 100 hours (who from my personal experience, is very rough to work with to say the least), at least not in the 4 days the project took place. He went on about saying one scout preped a project for 80 hours, but spent only 2 or 3 hours actually doing it. I felt that my original idea was to short by this, so I tried to fine another idea.

However, after looking at the workbook, it obviously states under the service hour log that:
*There is no requirement for a minimum number of hours that must be worked on an Eagle Scout service project.

And that you may lodge a complaint to the district or council about it, and appeal a failed Board of Review for simply that reason.

I don't know what to do, but my dad just told me that it would be better to let him off, thinking that it's just something that their local district does. And it's been so long that I doubt it would matter.
Chez
Tenderfoot

Re: Minimum Number of Service Hours

Postby Quailman » Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 pm

You could show him that page of the workbook and ask why he's requiring 100 when the workbook clearly states that there isno minimum. Of course, you'll need his signature, so it doesn't sit well to cross him right off the bat.

Does your District Advancement Chair review and approve project plans? You could raise the question there.

On the other hand, my experience has been that most boys don't count all the hours they put in, or at least don't do a very good job of it. Keep a log, and every time you pick up a pencil or a phone or go to buy supplies or look at the work site, write it down. If your father has to drive you places, count his hours. Have every boy sign in and out and you'll be surprised how quickly the hours accumulate. Count the hours writing the plan and the hours reviewing it and chasing down signatures.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri May 30, 2014 8:08 am

Also, remember that your project must be enough of one that you get the chance to demonstrate leadership. Little projects do not cut it in my book. That said, as Quailman states, log all of your hours: writing the proposal, getting it approved, shoping for material and supply prices, counting ALL the hours of adult, scout, and friend helpers, working on your final plan and then the final report, etc. all takes time. Keep a log of everyone's hours. Yours too (round times off to the nearest 15 min. or 1/2 hr. or you'll drive yourself crazy). You will be surprised how quickly the hours add up.
Your project should be something you are "proud of."
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am

I tell the boys in our troop that there is no minimum number of total hours, but they must be sure their proposed project will show leadership. This would be very hard to pull off with a project well below that 100 hours in planning and execution.

Remember, if 10 people show on the work day and put in 4 hours each, that is 40 hours right there without even adding in the planning time!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Chez » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Mrw wrote:I tell the boys in our troop that there is no minimum number of total hours, but they must be sure their proposed project will show leadership. This would be very hard to pull off with a project well below that 100 hours in planning and execution.

Remember, if 10 people show on the work day and put in 4 hours each, that is 40 hours right there without even adding in the planning time!

So does that mean that the hours accumulated all together not just from 1 person could too?
Chez
Tenderfoot

Postby Mrw » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 am

Chez wrote:
Mrw wrote:I tell the boys in our troop that there is no minimum number of total hours, but they must be sure their proposed project will show leadership. This would be very hard to pull off with a project well below that 100 hours in planning and execution.

So does that mean that the hours accumulated all together not just from 1 person could too?

Absolutely! If you carefully read the Eagle workbook, it asks for the total planning hours the Scout puts in and the total hours worked by your volunteer helpers in carrying out the project. Log everything you do and have others sign in and out. It is a LEADERSHIP project, not just an individual endeavor.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Return to Eagle Scout