Eagle CoH Question

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Eagle CoH Question

Postby agdparker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 pm

I've recently started handling the Eagle project approvals and Boards of Review for parts of our district (an hour a week...), among other Scouting hats I wear. It seems to be tradition in this area to invite the district person who handled the project approval and board to the Eagle Court of Honor. I have been to several Eagle courts where they have the district person "open" the court and he calls it a National Court of Honor. I've always wondered why this was done and I can't find anything in the Guide to Advancement on the subject, nor in google searches on the subject.

I always thought Courts of Honor were unit-level events and while I think it would be appropriate to recognize district officials, I'm not sure why they should be "opening" the court or referring to them as "National". Is there an official resource that dives into detail about Courts of Honor (maybe the troop committee set)? What role does the district person play, if any, at your Eagle courts?
agdparker
Star

Re: Eagle CoH Question

Postby FrankJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 pm

There is nothing official about that I know of. At our troop the scout's family is responsible for organizing the ECOH. Sometimes they get called "national court of honor". I guess it comes from the eagle rank being approved by national rather than any real differentiation on the honor afforded one eagle scout or another. I don't think I have ever been at a COH chaired by a district person.

Personally I think the SPL is the most appropriate person to chair or open a COH . But there is nothing official about that either.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 pm

In my troop the CC opens it with some official wording. The SPL or other person (brother) selected by the Eagle candidate acts as MC. The DAC tries to attend evry one and presents a gift at each.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

For our troop, we have quarterly COHs that are run by the SPL with advancement "presented" jointly by the SM & SPL. We do it that way as the SPL runs the troop, but advancement is more of an "individual" activity than a "troop" activity. Eagle advancement can be included in any of those COH ... and to be honest ... I prefer Eagle advancement at the regularly scheduled COH ... better attendance. More visibility for the younger scouts.

If families want a separate COH for their son's Eagle, that's their responsibility. Every one I've seen is youth MC'ed and youth planned (with parent help).
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

As a member of our Council's AC, I am an "Eagle Advisor" to the Eagle Projects in the Northern part of the Council. As such, I have MC'd or Opened many Eagle CoH's. So, I always introduce myself as " . . . a representative of the Council's Advancement Committee, an Eagle Scout, a member of NESA, and an ASM with our troop." But, as a representative of the National BSA probably is OK due to everyone's regestration! I don't see anything "wrong or incorrect" with it.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Although a number of Troops say it's the Eagle Candidate and the parents show, IMHO Scouts should be the Emcee where possible and assist the candidate and PLC with the planning. Communication MB Req 8 applies.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Eagle Scout