The "New Eagle Workbook"

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

The "New Eagle Workbook"

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Has anyone held an EBoR with the new workbook where the candidate did NOT do the final plan? And how was it handled? I've got one coming . . . I'm sure of it!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Re: The "New Eagle Workbook"

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:Has anyone held an EBoR with the new workbook where the candidate did NOT do the final plan? And how was it handled? I've got one coming . . . I'm sure of it!

I have not seen or heard of one. What was his EP?

It would seem to be a rarity for any scout to complete his project without at least some parts of the FP being done...especially the first block on District reviewers comments. Also the Work Processes and Safety sections.

Since the scout has read the entire workbook as attested to by his signature, he has been advised to on pg 5, "Complete the Eagle Scout Service Project Final Plan after your proposal has been approved." It's not "signed/approved" but this is where the Eagle Coach is key. Doing the FP, is also emphasized on PG 11.

I guess the EBOR could determine that his FP was not needed and through questions about the EP they could determine that he met the requirement but he's also been told on pg 11...completing the FP can also improve your chances of passing the Eagle Scout board of review.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:55 pm

There is no requirement to do the final plan. The scout only needs to plan to the level needed to complete the project. So if the scout can run the project without written planning, he doesn't need to do it. I'd highly advise, multiple times, to get scouts to use and complete the final plan. I can't see a meaningful project done without that level of detali.

Just ask the scout how he planned and executed his project. It will be a good discussion. The key is that you CAN NOT NOT pass a scout for not having a final plan ... in and of itself. Did he lead the project? Was the project successful? Did it help the beneficiary?

As for the new workbook ... I'm a huge fan. It's a huge improvement. I'm glad the wording is as it is in the workbook. I fully agree the scout should almost always do the final plan. And that the final plan will help the EBOR. And that I can't see doing a successful project without a plan. But it also says on page 11: "Note, however, that it is not necessary to provide details that are not necessary to the accomplishment of your project." I'd really question about a project that had no final planning details whether written in the book or written elsewhere.

I'd also read GTA section 9.0.2.8 “Use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook”. It has great guidance on how to treat the workbook and issues with the scout completing the workbook.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am

Oh, I know what the EWB says and I know what the GTA says and expressed it all to the Scout. Sometimes you just know by looking him in the eyes and listening to him talk . . . that they don't want to do it! I hope he proves me wromg. We'll see at his EBoR. I was wondering if any of you have had to deal with it yet. Thanks Matt & Fred.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:02 am

Bill Pitcher wrote:Oh, I know what the EWB says and I know what the GTA says and expressed it all to the Scout. Sometimes you just know by looking him in the eyes and listening to him talk . . . that they don't want to do it! I hope he proves me wromg. We'll see at his EBoR. I was wondering if any of you have had to deal with it yet. Thanks Matt & Fred.

Bill..the reality is that I don't tell them that they don't have to do it. I have them re-read pg 5 "Complete the Final plan" and pg 11 and since they are filling in the first question of the final plan at our meeting with my suggestions, I'll tell them I look forward to seeing how you went about doing your planning and hope that they use their project coach listed on pg 6 to help them.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Amen, Matt. That's the way I handle it, too. I've only had 7-8 candidates using the new workbook so far. They seem to like it, especially how is sets everything up for them. Some troops are still puzzled by it and are NOT providing project coaches to help them. But, as in the old days. we'll get 'em on board!!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Did an EP review yesterday. Scout was told FP is not approved by me but the FP and your Coach should help you with your planning. Scout said..."anyone who wouldn't fill out the FP and not work with a coach isn't too smart is he?"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I like it! Smart, perseptive young man!!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Well, to my surprise the above mentioned Scout DID do the final plan before he started the project and included it in his final paperwork! Now I have to read it all (I just picked it up from the SO). I'll keep you posted.
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:23 am

Does anyone still have a Scout who started his Eagle Project in the OLD workbook? I still have one!!! He has completed his project (handicap ramp into his church after hurricane Sandy washed away the old one), says he did the final report (?) but still has 2 MB's to do. I've spoken to him, the SM who can't seem to motivate him, and his parents, too, to no avail! He just turned 17 and seems to NOT be concerned. Says he will finish the MB's at summer camp. He is in one of our remote troops in a far away corner of the county, and is in NO hurry!
BTW, I like the revised "new" workbook. It is much improved and easier to use for the Scouts, and easier to explain to the Troop Leaders how to use it. NICE JOB Advancement Committee!!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Hurricane Sandy was last year. How did the scout start the project under the old workbook? Not to say it wasn't a valid project just curious about the logistics.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:57 pm

OOOps! You are right, Frank. We got hit 1 1/2 years ago by hurricanes Irene and Lee with-in a week's time and they were the culprits!! Sorry . . . my bad! He started in November of 2011.
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Eagle Scout