Eagle BOR date or National date?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Eagle BOR date or National date?

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:49 am

It is my understanding that the boy is an Eagle according to the date he passes his EBOR, not the date it gets returned from National.

Can he then set up an Eagle Court of Honor before receiving notification from National? IOW, Johnny Scout passes his EBOR on July 15, and wants to have his ECOH on August 1. National can take four weeks. Does he need to wait for the certificate?

And, does anyone think the $40 expediting fee helps? Trying to advise this kid, and not sure (I'm a sucker and apt to pay it.)
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: Eagle BOR date or National date?

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:18 am

While a Scout IS an Eagle as of the date on his EBOR, BSA does not want units to start celebrating until BSA National has "officially" approved the Eagle.

Although rather rare, there have been times when National, after receiving the paperwork from a successful EBOR, has denied the Eagle. These are usually because of date snafus, missing bits of advancement, or Eagle apps that did not have the correct info. Things that should have been caught, and corrected earlier,but were not.

However, you do not want to inadvertently put your unit in the position of having to say, "oops, you remember the Eagle award we gave you the other week? Just kidding, we will need that back for the time being."

Better safe than sorry - wait for the "official" approval from National.

BTW - Scout Shops should not even be selling Eagle awards to you without that approval from BSA National.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 am

Where this could be important is earning palms. The time in rank requirement starts from the EBOR date not when the paper work is returned from national.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks. I'll let him know. Guess he's out $40 :-D
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 pm

You can check with the advancement person at your council office. Even if the paperwork has not come back from national, they can check to computer to be sure it has been approved.

I presented an Eagle award this spring where this was the case. The paperwork was in transit after being delayed by Good Friday. The advancement person checked into it, and notified the shop staff that it was approved. I bought the award, and presented it. The paperwork arrived 2 days after the COH.

In this case, the $40 might have helped IF they use that money to overnight the paperwork to the council.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Guerillero » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 am

In addition, most councils will not give you the "eagle kit" until the paperwork comes back from national. I started to wear my eagle patch directly after my EBOR to go to world jamboree with permission of my scout executive.
2012 ESR Nature Director
Eagle Scout 2011
OA Vigil Honor 2011
Guerillero
Second Class

Return to Eagle Scout