Average Time for Completion of Eagle Project?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Average Time for Completion of Eagle Project?

Postby FrankJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:47 pm

I expect a lot of that time is spent in two places. Project is approved, big relief, Scout does nothing else with it for 3-6 months. Actual time required 15 min. Amount of calendar time to: fund it, collect material, schedule it: 1 to 6 months depending on magnitude of project, weather, schedule conflicts. Project is completed, big relief, Scout does not do the final write up for 3 to 6 months. Actual write up takes about a hour.

So you get a budget number of 6-18 months. :) If the process is less than a month, it was probably ran by mom or beneath the Scouts ability.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby fritz1255 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:23 am

I agree, Frank. Shouldn't take that long, but it does. I have to wonder about the level of parental participation in projects that take less than three months. I'm sure that an exceptional kid (and maybe that applies to most of your kids) can do it on his own, but that is not the average.
fritz1255
Life

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Fritz

A Scout who completed most of his ER MBs has already learned the skills needed to prepare an ELSP. Those skills include planning, budgeting, communicating, writing and logging.

A Scout who completed his Star and Life PORs has already learned the leadership skills to complete an ELSP.

A Scout who regularly attends meetings and outings has the experience to lead an ELSP.

A Scout who particpated in another ELSP should have observed how to or who not to complete an ELSP.

By the time a Scout has completed the above the SM should know enough about the scout and his parents to determine if the Scout is capable of completing the project on his own. I have seen sucessful and unsucessful ELSPs. The unsucessful ones were the result of troops spoon feeding MBs; holding Scouts accountable for their PORs; and spotty participation.

During your ELSP SMC, sit down with the parents too and explain that it is their son's ELSP and that they should step back and let him do the preparation. If not, he will not be able to complete the project. Make it clear that you are another troop leader will observe the project and insure that they do not interfer.

As for the project itself. A SM should know what their Scouts are capable of doing. If a Scout picks a project beyond his capability, tell him AND his parents. Suggest alternatives. There is an Army adage, Keep it simple stupid! The more complex the project, the more likely that the Scout will get frustrated and Mom and Dad will step in.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:55 am

Well said Mike!!!!
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby fritz1255 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:57 pm

In an ideal world, weewillie, it does work that way. In the real world with kids who have been instructed but not necessarily learned all these skills, no way. I can show you plenty of adults who are not good at budgeting their time and have trouble completing projects.

I can think of only one instance where a project took less hours to complete than planned. The boy's project was to make concrete bases for all the military markers in a cemetery (those brass flag holders that note which war the person was in). He had 175 of these to do, and I did some simple arithmetic (if each ones takes 2 hours, total project is 350 hours, 3 hours each makes 525 hours, etc). I questioned him at length about this, suggesting that the work be split into two Eagle projects, but he was adamant that he could do it (they always are at first). During the work sessions, he organized his helpers into the equivalent of an assembly line, and the project was completed in about 100 hours. From approval to signoff was still over a year due to the usual procrastination and weather delays, but that's another story.
fritz1255
Life

Previous

Return to Eagle Scout