Eagle Mentors

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Eagle Mentors

Postby agdparker » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 pm

We've got about 12 boys in our units (Troop/Team/Crew) who are Life and just about ready to start their Eagle project work. Our committee has picked a group of adults to serve as Eagle mentors. The goal is to give the boys someone who will help them with the process, check in with the boys as they're working on the project and serve as a general resource for the boys.

We want to provide the mentors with a packet of information on being a mentor. Before we write something from scratch, I wanted to see if anyone knew of some resources that might help. I'm going to check with our DE to see if he has any documentation, also.

Thanks!
agdparker
Star

Re: Eagle Mentors

Postby Quailman » Fri May 13, 2011 1:46 pm

I just googled "life to eagle packet" and got about 13,400 results. Here's a link to one: http://www.campkern.net/pdf/eaglescout/eagle_trail.pdf

Here's another: http://www.bsaswmc.org/forms/Life%20to% ... Packet.pdf
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:44 pm

There are a couple of good websites www.eaglescout.org and www.eaglescout.itgo.com

Be careful in that some of the council guides have items where they add to the requirements such as having the scout set up his own BOR.

The New Advancement and Recognition Guide is close to release. I would encourage you to read through it before writing your own. There are a number of changes in the Eagle process.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby agdparker » Tue May 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Thank you for the responses so far, they are appreciated. I am aware of the Life-to-Eagle packets for the youth and our council uses one as well. I am looking for something geared towards Eagle mentors. Part of their packet would include the L2E packet, but I'm also looking for some specific helps for the folks that will be guiding the youth. Some things I was thinking about:

• List of expectations of the Eagle Mentor
  • Current printout for the boy from TroopMaster showing their advancement status
  • L2E packet
  • List of helpful weblinks
  • Other items

While I am hopeful the new advancement guidelines will be helpful, we also need to get something out the door within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
agdparker
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Expectations of an Eagle Mentor:

Know the rules inside and out - read everything both official and "unofficial" you can get your hands on
Be familiar with what qualifies as an EP.
Speak to sponsor and provide them expectations of the agreement
Touch base with the District Adv folks
Be familiar with filling out ES workbook and Eagle App and assist where needed
Be ready to handle stressed out and helicopter parents for the 17.99 y/os
Be ready to listen and increase your patience tolerance level
Make sure the scout knows this is not your only thing in life so they don't push you into a box time wise
Encourage...don't nag but also sometimes you have to be the bearer of bad news..don't rubber-stamp everything and make the District guy the bad guy.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Eagle Scout