Eagle Project Safety Concerns

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Eagle Project Safety Concerns

Postby fritz1255 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:16 am

When power tools are required for an Eagle project, an adult is required to operate them (I don't know if this is a national or local requirement). My son's Eagle project requires the use of a torch to heat rebar so it can be bent. I assume this also requires an adult to operate the torch?
fritz1255
Life

Re: Eagle Project Safety Concerns

Postby kwildman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:51 am

Regardless of the rules...if you feel it is a safety concern then you sould do whats right. An eagle project does not require the candidate to "Do all the work" but rather provide leadership. My son's project involves a lot of carpentry and he has contacted, organized, and directed his skilled labor. The adults operate the things that can cause amputations and the youth provide the muscle.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby razor_strop » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:14 am

It sounds like a local policy, as the G2SS lists power tools as an activity in which Boy Scouts can participate ("Age Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities" chart, pg. vii). FWIW, my son's Eagle project included the use of not only power hand drills/drivers, but also a miter saw and band saw. The Scouts used all the power tools, with one-on-one adult supervision, and they both learned something new and really enjoyed it. With fewer schools offering "shop" class, I think introducing Scouts to the use of power tools is a worthwhile endeavor that might spark the interest to sustain a hobby or vocation later in life.
razor_strop
Life

Postby FrankJ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am

You can view G2SS as a minimum requirement here. Just because it is allowed, does not mean that it is safe or sane. Although it may not really apply to eagle projects, OSHA & state child labor law have limitations on youth & power tools.

In the case of heating rebar to bend it, the possible injuries include 3rd degree burns with a touch. I would be very careful with what the untrained are allowed to do.

With enough leverage, rebar can be easily bent without heating. Think sliding pipe over the rebar.

I am not against youth and power tools in general, but they do need proper supervision that might be beyond the skill set of the eagle candidate. So the eagle candidate makes sure he has the right resources on site.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby fritz1255 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:30 am

I pretty much agree with all above - I will need to be there when using the torch to bend the rebar. While all concerned are wearing gloves, there is still the potential for serious burns. I am mostly trying to make sure that he runs the project, not me. FYI - the bends in the rebar are too tight to do without heat. Our one test of bending at room temperature was unsuccessful - the rebar actually broke.
fritz1255
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:38 am

Our general rule of thumb for EPs, which is designed to make sure the scouts keep their thumbs :) , is that if the tool has a moving blade, then an adult will be the operator.

In the case of using a torch, I would say the same sanity rule would apply similar to the Plumbing MB requirement: Under the supervision of a knowledgeable adult, solder three copper tube connections using a gas torch.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Eagle Scout