Is there a newer "100 Scouts" speech?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Is there a newer "100 Scouts" speech?

Postby Fibonacci » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Almost all of our Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremonies include the "100 Scouts" speech. We've been hearing the same numbers for the past ten years, I think. Is there anything similar that I can suggest to our Committee, Eagle Scouts, & Eagle families? Anything more current?

The one our troop uses starts...
For every 100 boys who join Scouting, records indicate that:

•RARELY will one be brought before the juvenile court system
•2 will become Eagle Scouts
and on....

The number of Eagle Scouts is actually higher now, so I know it's outdated.

I've been selected to read this at an Eagle Ceremony in August. I know that the Scout's grandparents and special guests haven't heard it, but everyone else can almost quote the whole thing. Any ideas for something new?
Fibonacci
Life

Re: Is there a newer "100 Scouts" speech?

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:15 pm

We got tired of that list, too. So we read a list of "famous" Eagle Scouts. We pick about 15 of them, then include a few from our area that have made a name for themselves in NASA, the military, local schools/colleges/music/theater/business, etc. Not hard to come up with: check www.nesa.org and your council's "Eagle List!" Everyone likes it and by changing a few names here and there, it stays fresh. Good luck!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't know if there is an updated version but you can use Bill's idea and list Legendary Eagle Scouts:

1) Bill
2) Jerry
3) me
4) the list goes on and on............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually there is a nice write up on the first 2 Eagle Scouts in Terry Grove's Eagle Scout Book that I read at our last COH.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Billiken » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:47 am

Self-made billionaire Eagle Scouts:

Ross Perot
Michael Bloomberg
J. Willard Marriott
Sam Walton
Stephen Bechtell
Steven Spielberg
Charles Dolan (founder of HBO)
Walter Scott (Level 3 Communications)
John Anderson (real estate mogul)
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby kwildman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:05 pm

am I the only one that gets bothered that Spielberg is always referenced on these lists? I know once an eagle always an eagle. I am glad he was an eagle scout but i would prefer to see people that still choose to embrace the core values of scouting be the ones that we hold up to our youth as role models. He has been very vocal about withdrawing his support of the BSA until it becomes a more "Tolerant" organization.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Nope, not just you. But we can be glad that most of the time the really bad ones don't get brought up, like the serial killers. :(
I would much rather see the likes of Mike Rowe replace Spielberg, but that will only be done at the individual level.
Cowboy
Eagle

Return to Eagle Scout