Conflicting Guidance?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Conflicting Guidance?

Postby wagionvigil » Wed May 19, 2010 10:57 am

Where does it say in the BSA requirements that they have to go before a committee to approve these?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Realize that this is the same committee that thinks you should not get eagle before 17 because you will leave the troop so they have plenty of time. :?: :P :)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Cowboy wrote:So far (in my time) we have not had any boys who used another boys ELSP as his Life or Star service. Most of the boys come up with an idea of thier own, and run from there. My son worked at our local fair "parking cars" for one and helped place fish cribs for another. If a boy "refused" to come before the committee, then away he would go to do his project with "only" the SM approval. Our committee meets every month, even in the summer, and a little planning ahead goes a long way. Let's face it, they have 4 months and 6 months for rank and most of the time they already have ideas in mind before they board for a rank.

Requirements for Star and Life say " . . . with your SM's approval." Sending the boy to the Troop Committee is adding to the requirements. So a combination of helping others who Do come up with a service project, an ESLP, Scouting For Food, or some 1-2 hour project on their own is ALL RIGHT by us . . . if the hours are SM approved.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Our boys are encouraged to do service hours regardless of whether they need them for the rank. They track them and the SM signs off on them in their books when they present to him what they have done. Quite simple and ensures they are doing something worth calling service.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Cowboy wrote:So far (in my time) we have not had any boys who used another boys ELSP as his Life or Star service. Most of the boys come up with an idea of thier own, and run from there. My son worked at our local fair "parking cars" for one and helped place fish cribs for another. If a boy "refused" to come before the committee, then away he would go to do his project with "only" the SM approval. Our committee meets every month, even in the summer, and a little planning ahead goes a long way. Let's face it, they have 4 months and 6 months for rank and most of the time they already have ideas in mind before they board for a rank.

So its okay to add to the requirements? I recall you were having fits with adding to the requirements with regard to your son's Eagle Process.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

smtroop168 wrote:

So its okay to add to the requirements? I recall you were having fits with adding to the requirements with regard to your son's Eagle Process.

:evil:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Hours that are pre-approved by the Scoutmaster can be used for rank. All others, we track for the http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/index.cfm and/or http://www.congressionalaward.org.

While planning certainly is a good skill to have, community service hours often come up unexpectedly.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:Hours that are pre-approved by the Scoutmaster can be used for rank. All others, we track for the http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/index.cfm and/or http://www.congressionalaward.org.

While planning certainly is a good skill to have, community service hours often come up unexpectedly.

Absolutely...our guys have Catholic School service hours to do as well so they can double count without "Committee approval"

Wagion...I assume the :evil: was for me. It's not right to talk out of both sides of your mouth about requirements and should work to convince the Comm what they are requiring is not right.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 20, 2010 8:03 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
AquilaNegra2 wrote:Hours that are pre-approved by the Scoutmaster can be used for rank. All others, we track for the http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/index.cfm and/or http://www.congressionalaward.org.

Absolutely...our guys have Catholic School service hours to do as well so they can double count without "Committee approval"

Wagion...I assume the :evil: was for me. It's not right to talk out of both sides of your mouth about requirements and should work to convince the Comm what they are requiring is not right.

No actually it was for talking out both sides of their mouth
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Wasn't sure, I was a little snippy. :D
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 am

The service project requirements for Star and Life does not require pre-approval by anyone and certainly not the committee. Scouts routinely use ELSP participation for their Star or Life service project. ELSPs are frequently announced at Round Table.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri May 21, 2010 6:34 am

smtroop168 wrote:Wasn't sure, I was a little snippy. :D

You know when you are wrong!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby razor_strop » Fri May 21, 2010 9:58 am

That's a great idea! We have several Scouts that regularly show up to various service projects, even if they don't need the hours for advancement; this would be a nice way to recognize them for going above and beyond. Thanks!
razor_strop
Life

Postby scoutaholic » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

razor_strop wrote:

That's a great idea! We have several Scouts that regularly show up to various service projects, even if they don't need the hours for advancement; this would be a nice way to recognize them for going above and beyond. Thanks!

The Presidents Volunteer Service awards are a great program. The difficulty is that you can't just order the awards, you have to have a certifying organization do it for you. There are several organizations registered, and they are listed on the site and searchable by location. You can register your troop as a certifying organization if you want, but many probably don't want the hassle. As a webmaster/designer/programmer of a scouting website, I registered as a certifying organization a few years ago. I have had several people, (mostly scouts and their families) order their awards through me. Some have even come back every year to get more. I'm always willing to help with these if you want to contact me.

This is the first I've seen the Congressional Award. I may have to check more into the details of that one.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Eagle Scout