Life - Scout

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Life - Scout

Postby Cowboy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Been searching and can not find anything about this, so here goes:
Is there an official protocol once a Scout boards for Life? Is there a person who should contact the DAC to request that they meet with the new Lifer to go over the Twelve steps, etc?
Cowboy
Eagle

Re: Life - Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Cowboy wrote:Been searching and can not find anything about this, so here goes:
Is there an official protocol once a Scout boards for Life? Is there a person who should contact the DAC to request that they meet with the new Lifer to go over the Twelve steps, etc?

You won't find one.

No. We give the scout a Life-to-Eagle handout. It's the Troop's Leadership (SM, Advancement Chair, Eagle Mentor) job to go over the 12 steps...not the DAC

We hold regular Life-To-Eagle training in our council which both leaders. parents and scouts are welcome and encouraged to attend.

As a member of our DAC, I see the Life scouts at project review/approval time.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby alex gregory » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Cowboy wrote:Is there an official protocol once a Scout boards for Life?

Why would you want to do that? Speed racing to Eagle 6 months before you turn 18 is so much more fun for everyone!
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby biglou » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:15 pm

alex gregory wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Is there an official protocol once a Scout boards for Life?

Why would you want to do that? Speed racing to Eagle 6 months before you turn 18 is so much more fun for everyone!

Been there. Done that 6 times last year. That is no fun whatsoever.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Our troop has a couple of life to eagle mentors the give the scout the life to eagle book and are there to answer questions as he goes down that path. Our district does eagle boards once a month & the have a life to eagle work shop on the same night. Nothing official say we have to do that way, it just what we do.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Cowboy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks all, that answers my question. Our DAC lives only 7 blocks from our meeting hall and has two sons who Eagled from our Troop years ago. I know that in the past one of our ASM's has called the DAC almost before the Life BoR was finished. For the last 3 boys nothing has been done. We do have L-E sessions at all of the MB Clinics, but that does not really help the boys who can not get to those clinics. My son waited for a month before contacting the DAC (he does the L-E sessions) because he did not want to step out of line. He was only 14 at the time and already facing opposition because he was "too young." We had not had an Eagle for a couple of years, so there was no one for him to turn to as far as boys went. We have two more recent Lifes who have not had any direction and I want to make sure that they have all of the tools.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 am

Our council does it like smtroop168's. We hold L-E workshops twice a year. There are 3 Eagle Mentors in the council who run these, along with the Council Registrar. We encourage the boy, parents and SM to attend. We also have a check-list that we send out with the Eagle Project workbook that suggest things to include in the proposal and another one is used for the final write-up. Yup, some boys miss the workshops, but all 3 of us will meet with individual troops and run workshops at their convenience.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 pm

My council holds seminars for troop leaders, and also issues a "life to eagle" packet to each boy in the council when he earns the rank of life.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Return to Eagle Scout