Just when you thought you had heard everything

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Just when you thought you had heard everything

Postby FrankJ » Mon May 17, 2010 9:31 am

Ask Andy, like all of us, has his own opinion & does not represent the BSA. He makes no bones about that to his credit.

Threatening legal action is the fastest way to get you de-registered from my crew. I do not have the patience for that kind of headache.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 am

They were already thrown out of the troop for going to council. Sorry that troop needs to be gone and the leaders banned from scouting for life. The council is not doing their job of making sure the units are delivering the program according to BSA rules and regulatons.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby razor_strop » Mon May 17, 2010 12:14 pm

So, since as I understand it National Council provides the charter for local councils to operate, does this mean that National Council could remove the people in a council failing to adhere to BSA policies, such as the folks in the recent "Ask Andy" column that affirmed a troop could set stricter standards than those set by BSA? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
razor_strop
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:59 pm

evmori wrote:I tend to stay away from Ask Andy since Andy has been known to give incorrect advise.

I'll second that. He also doesn't like to be called on it when he's wrong.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:12 pm

razor_strop wrote:So, since as I understand it National Council provides the charter for local councils to operate, does this mean that National Council could remove the people in a council failing to adhere to BSA policies, such as the folks in the recent "Ask Andy" column that affirmed a troop could set stricter standards than those set by BSA? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

National can "decharter" a Council. They do have some leverage to "strongly suggest" mergers when they are not meeting their performance (budget/membership numbers) goals.

A Council can "decharter" a unit if they feel the Charter partner isn't meeting the program guidelines. A Council Exec does have the power to remove individuals from the BSA and permanently ban them.

A Chartered Organization can decide to no longer sponsor a unit.

A Unit Committee does have the say on who is in their unit (adults and youth) especially if there are discipline problems. This is usually a last resort. Complaining to the Council and removing the youth is something I've never heard of.

Can Troops set stricter standards that National? No but a number do and it is very difficult to police since most scouts and parents don't know its happening and it is not raised outside the unit until there is a problem. Some of these "troop rules" are relatively benign but the number one rule I've heard of and seen imposed is the % attendance one.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 17, 2010 3:09 pm

our council committee fired a council executive several Years ago.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Different troop but still fits under the topic title:

Troop leadership refuses to sign a scout's Eagle Application until the scout has completed NYLT!
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:10 pm

So wrong in so many ways....

Our troop received a scout in a similar situation from another troop. His old SM refused to sign until he saw more leadership even though everything including the project was complete. So the scout visited our troop and had a chat with our SM. Our SM contacted their SM to discuss the situation. I never heard the details, but the scout transferred and our SM signed the paperwork. He was a great member of our troop for two more years.
Fred Johnson
Life

Previous

Return to Eagle Scout