Letter FROM the Eagle Candidate????????????????????

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Letter FROM the Eagle Candidate????????????????????

Postby Billiken » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am

In the ESLP workbook (Bob Mazzuca's letter) it says, in regard to the Eagle Application:

Note that you will need to list references of people who will speak on your behalf.
You will also need to prepare a statement about yourself.

No where else can I find reference or instructions to this "statement about yourself".

What should this statement or letter include?
Is it like a "I should be an Eagle Scout because...."

Thanks for any help and guideance.

Billiken
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Re: Letter FROM the Eagle Candidate????????????????????

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 pm

REQUIREMENT 6. Take part in a Scoutmaster conference (with Scoutmaster, Coach, or Advisor). Attach to this application a statement of your ambitions and life purpose and
a listing of positions held in your religious institution, school, camp, community, or other organizations during which you demonstrated leadership skills. Include honors and
awards received during this service.

This is from the actual Eagle Application. The statement has nothing to do with "I should be an Eagle Scout because....". It is for the scout to sit down, think about and put on paper where they see their lives headed. There is no format. I've seen various tyoe of letters depending on the age of the Eagle Candidate. An 17.9999 boy who is graduating from HS is different than a 15 y/o HS Soph. The List of other honors is to show what else the boy is involved in and gives the EBOR some other areas to ask him questions about.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:11 pm

An Eagle candidate needs to read the requirements several times to complete them sucessfully. I suggest to my candidates that they have a sloppy copy and two different color high lighters. As each element of each requirement is met I tell them to highlight that element. when every element to every requirement is met then the application is complete.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 am

Billiken: As smtroop168 has listed, the requirement is #6 on the back (second page) of the application. I have seen it overlooked, and the SM signed it off!!! It is supposed to be with the application when the candidate meets his SM for the SM conference!!! Go figure.
Another question is: "What do you do if it isn't there?" especially if the candidate turned 18 the day before he turns in the paperwork!!!!!!!!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks for all the great replies/information.

Now I see the requirement in the with the SM conference requirement on the back of the Eagle application.

Thanks again to all.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:05 am

Bill

The following is on the top of the Eagle Application

TO THE EAGLE SCOUT RANK APPLICANT. This application is to be C O M P L E T E D after you have completed all requirements for the Eagle Scout rank. Print in ink or type all information. List the month, day, and year for all dates. When using computer date blocks list the
date: July 8, 1970, as 07 (for July) 08 (for day) 70 (for year). When you have completed this application, sign it and submit it to your unit leader.

Submitting an incomplete application is by definition not completed. It is not our responsibility to allow scouts to receive one of our most prestigious awards in spite of themselves. Our oath starts off with "On my honor I will do my best." How is waiting until the last day to turn in an incomplete application doing your best? How about our motto, Be Prepared! Whether the situation you describe was meant as a joke, or an effort to yank someone's chain is irrelevent. He missed the deadline.

When my son turned in his Eagle application, passed his EBOR and the application was then rejected by the National EBOR because the end dates for his SPL and Troop Guide PORs were transposed. He was really steamed about the situation. He was bluntly told, it is your award and your responsibility to do it right. It is a lesson he has since taken to heart. Fortunately, he was 14.5, not 17.9999.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Mike;

Not a joke. It actually happened to me recently! However, when I confronted the SM at the EBoR about it, the comment was "I told him to do it!" When I said, but it is supposed to be at his SM conference, I was greeted with a blank stare and no response. The candidate also only completed half of his project by an EXTENDED deadline. Needless to say, he didn't pass his EBoR AND didn't even bother to appeal (wouldn't have made a difference anyway, if he did). End of story.

Bill
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Eagle Scout