No Way to Get Eagle Recommendation Letter from Clergy

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

No Way to Get Eagle Recommendation Letter from Clergy

Postby Billiken » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Just under a year ago our parish priest, Father ---- was transfered to another church (across town).
Father ---- knows our son, and Eagle Scout applicant, very well.
While we know his replacement at our church, the new pastor does not really know us or our son.

Two days ago it was announced that Father ---- requested to take a one-year leave of absence from the priesthood.
The request was for emotional and spiritual reasons (speak for "he's likely fallen in love with someone.")
He has left his parish with only a forwarding address at the diocese office/headquarters.

Father ---- did not reply to the e-mail request from my son.
It's possible he was already gone from his parish at the time it was sent.

So:
1. It's likely that the clergy member/priest that knows our son (really well) never received the Eagle letter request.
2. If he did, it's highly unlikely that it's very high on his list, given the what Father ---- is going through.
3. Our current pastor/priest does not know our son.

What can my son (Eagle Applicant) do?
THANKS

Before we start quoting the instructions of "list names of those willing to provide a letter" know that the Cleveland Council requires possession of the letters to be turned in with the Eagle Application.
That is another topic/discussion.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Re: No Way to Get Eagle Recommendation Letter from Clergy

Postby FrankJ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Use a Sunday school teacher, fellow congregation member, so on. Have them write a letter and turn it in with a app. To be correct the only people that are suppose to see the letters are the EBOR members not a clerk at the council office or even the CE.
Or become a Bokonist and turn in an empty envelope. :shock: :D

Good luck to your son.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Billiken wrote:Just under a year ago our parish priest, Father ---- was transfered to another church (across town).
Father ---- knows our son, and Eagle Scout applicant, very well.
While we know his replacement at our church, the new pastor does not really know us or our son.

Two days ago it was announced that Father ---- requested to take a one-year leave of absence from the priesthood.
The request was for emotional and spiritual reasons (speak for "he's likely fallen in love with someone.")
He has left his parish with only a forwarding address at the diocese office/headquarters.

Father ---- did not reply to the e-mail request from my son.
It's possible he was already gone from his parish at the time it was sent.

So:
1. It's likely that the clergy member/priest that knows our son (really well) never received the Eagle letter request.
2. If he did, it's highly unlikely that it's very high on his list, given the what Father ---- is going through.
3. Our current pastor/priest does not know our son.

What can my son (Eagle Applicant) do?
THANKS

Before we start quoting the instructions of "list names of those willing to provide a letter" know that the Cleveland Council requires possession of the letters to be turned in with the Eagle Application.
That is another topic/discussion.

There is no requirement that the "Religious" name listed on the Eagle Application be a member of the Clergy. It should be a person who knows the scout and can speak to his demonstation of the principles of the Scout Oath and Law. Could be his Religious Ed (CCD) teacher or anyone who might have worked with him on his religious medals (if he has them).
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Billiken » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I've got a call into our District Advancement Chair (who also knows the priest I'm referring to).
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:41 am

One of our recent Eagles is a boy who does not attend a church at all. He had a letter from a friend's mom who talked to him about his beliefs and wrote a letter attesting to his character and that he had beliefs.

My younger son finished his project and turned in his paperwork over the summer. Although he listed a school reference, there was no way for him to have contacted this person for a letter. (Or for me as Advancement Chair to request such letter for him.)

We requested more than the required five letters and when we had five received, turned it all in and were good to go. They want five letters, but who they are from is pretty much beside the point. Just that you have them, and when they are opened and read before the EBOR starts, that they say something nice.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Return to Eagle Scout