Another Eagle Leaves the Nest

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Another Eagle Leaves the Nest

Postby FieldSports » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Just have to post that my son passed his EBOR last night!! He will now earn some palms. He is 16 and still involved.

I do have a question for this Board. One of the members of his EBOR was a prior leader (EBOR are selected by the DAC). This person was asked to resign his positions in scouting because of some of his issues with patch trading at OA and number of leaders leaving due to his actions. (So, lets just say less than an outstanding citizen).

Isn't there some requirements for the EBOR members reflecting "positive" role models for the youth? My son was honestly shocked that he was on the EBOR. He handled him respectfully, but asked me why they would allow him to participate.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Re: Another Eagle Leaves the Nest

Postby FrankJ » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:06 pm

The only requirements are written in the Advancement Policies book. Not a relative and not a SM or ASM (as well venturing equivalent.) Other than that it is up to the DAC. Personally I think the people sitting on the board should be the Norman Rockwell eagle caliber people. (Not necessarily eagle, but the same caliber). Either the DAC is unaware of this persons character, has a different opinion, or does not care.
I would quietly bring it up with either the district committee chair or the district commissioner.

Oh, and congratulations to your son. He is wise to realize that EBOR members do not reflect on him or his achievement.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Congrats to your son Fieldsports, and to you! I agree with Frank . . . . the DAC may not have been aware of the prior problems and simply asked an old Scouter to serve on the EBoR. Now your son can Soar with Eagles.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby biglou » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:11 am

Congratulations! I am happy to see that your son made it!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Return to Eagle Scout