Eagle projects and "heavy" equipment

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Eagle projects and "heavy" equipment

Postby ronin718 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:20 am

Old stories from previous Eagles are prompting me to put this question to the board for verification and validation.

My son's project is to build an outdoor classroom of 9 benches adjacent to a pond that the school's Naturalist Club is putting in. He's also mulching the bench area and putting in a 4' wide by 50' to 70' path leading to the area. This is going to involve some land preparation/leveling for the path and a 20' x 30' area. We have a neighbor who is part owner of a construction firm, and he's used his Bobcat to help out with various neighborhood projects. My son is wanting to ask for his help, having him use his Bobcat to scrape the top 4" off the projected path and level out the large area.

The story we recently heard from an old Eagle about his project involved using a heavy-lift crane for a large boulder that was put in as part of a sign in front of the school. This arrangement was made between dad and a family friend, and the project was subsequently rejected, supposedly because of the use of the crane.

So my question for the board.... Is it allowable for "heavy" equipment to be used in a project if the boy solicits the use of the equipment and the accompanying manpower? Or is he limited to the manual labor of low-tech tools?
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Re: Eagle projects and "heavy" equipment

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 am

I just helped a boy that had a bobcat with a adult operator at his project, the idea of the project is to show leadership. Another part of the project is to keep everyone safe while working so he will have to work that into his project while the bobcat operator is working on his project.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby evmori » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 am

As long as the Scout makes the arrangements I see no problem.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby alex gregory » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:24 am

Should be fine. You might want to run it by the powers that be and get written confirmation that everything is AOK.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:12 pm

I have had Scouts employ heavy equipment . . . although briefly, and arranged by the Scout. eg: gas powered post hole digger for hard packed clay and rock for fence posts, and as in this case for the holes for an outdoor classroom. There, there were 9 benches (2 posts each) and a teacher podium (1 post) in hard pack. In another case, a bobcat was used to raise a bluestone slab to door level for easier wheel chair access at an old church. The slab was 5' x 8' and 6 inches thick!! As long as the Scout arranges for it (not Dad) and sees to it that the equipment is used by adults, then it is just like the use of a circular saw or a chop saw to get the job done. Just make sure it's done safely.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:23 pm

We routinely use bobcats on Eagle projects. Never been an issue. Like all other projects, you judge it on the merits of the project & if it will give the scout a chance to show leadership.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Eagle Scout