Maturity for ESLSP???

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Maturity for ESLSP???

Postby WeeWillie » Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Great that justice prevailed. Encourage him to stay in Scouting. His friends are the other Scouts, not the SM. SMs are not perfect and many make mistakes. The measure of a SM is not that he or she made a mistake, but rather what he or she does afterwards.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri May 08, 2009 6:29 am

AMEN, WeeWilly! I've had 3 - 4 boys around 14 years old do OUTSTANDING projects and they were better run and organized than some of those by older Scouts. DON'T HOLD THEM BACK! These guys are an asset to the troop, the OA, and the council. They're go - getters!
I have a troop in the council that won't sign-off a proposal unless for a project that is over 300 hours and the proposal is typed and at least 25 pages long. Can't break them of it. And, they are one of the biggest troops and $$$ contributors to the council. So, council lets it go. I must say, every project those Scouts do is well run and OUTSTANDING!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby leisa52 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:12 pm

Cowboy wrote:It boils down to Scout involvement. Too many of our "older" adults think that if they hold the boys back they will continue to have interest in Scouts. We have all seen a lot of boys hit Eagle and then walk away. Unfotunately the leaders responsible see it as an effect/cause, not cause and effect. My son loved scouting. Now that he is fighting to complete his Eagle he has begun to dislike it. He does intend to have VERY little involvement with Scouts because of this. He would have stayed much more active had he received support from the leaders. BTW: He does still have Scout Spirit. He also plans to help otehrs reach Eagle, and wants to have all of his adult training completed BEFORE he turns 18 to ease the transition.

I think you need to rethink this, as far as I could tell he received tons of support from the leaders...guess it is in how you look at things and what kind of glass you are looking through.
leisa52
Scout

Previous

Return to Eagle Scout