Current registration

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Current registration

Postby VenturingL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:16 pm

There have been several posts on how long it takes to get paperwork back from National. Here's another twist: After everything my son went through with his troop, he got all requirements done before 18th birthday & had EBOR before 90 days were up after aging out. Paperwork was back inside of 3 weeks! BUT, certificate said he earned Eagle through the crew, not the troop (different unit #, different district). Since he did the advancement through the troop, he wanted it corrected. Answer from Council: Troop registration expired in Dec. (son aged out in Oct., EBOR was in Jan.). Council didn't have his adult registration with the troop on file yet. Crew was the only unit he was registered with, so that's why they used it. We have an email from Council stating a scout must be registered at time of EBOR.

What is he hadn't chosen to register as an adult or been a member of a crew? Would all have been for nothing? Request for correction was made mid-Feb., have not received back yet.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Re: Current registration

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Probably,sorry to say. This is why I really pushed my boys when I was SM to Finish up so the age out was not a problem. One thing the troop did was to cover the Boys Adult registration his first year and had him fill out an application 1 month befoe his 18th BD.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby jr56 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Glad everything worked out at the paperwork went through. It does get very risky when the boy waits until the last minute to finish everything.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:36 pm

We had one scout have his EBOR after he turned 18. He would have been on the troop roster since recharter time had not past, but he is off at college & not currently active in scouting. This was back in the fall & I am assuming everything went through OK because we would had heard from him otherwise.

I expect the real reason is it is difficult to change it in scoutnet.

For example. Our council insists that our pack is registered to a different CO than the crew & troop. Same address, same charter org head, slight variation in the name.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 pm

With so many scouts turning 18 and then having their EBORs, this cannot be the first time this has happened. The scout's Eagle application had to be processed by the council with his current unit on it and done prior to his EBOR so I don't know why it would need to be changed to his crew. Most of these scouts are not crew members so what would they do then? I would not assume your council registrar is correct.

I'm sure National just processed what was sent to them electronically. I think Bill Steele at NESA National could help out with this.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby VenturingL » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 pm

We received a new certificate. Guess what? It had the Crew # listed also! Eagle Advisor went to National over it & we now have a certificate stating he earned through the Troop (which he did). Guess third time really is the charm. ECOH is tomorrow. It has been a long bumpy road, but worth the trip.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Congrats
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Eagle Scout