Donations eagle project

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Donations eagle project

Postby aflmom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm back...for those that remember me, my son encountered multiple problems getting his Eagle and with the help of people here was finally able to. :)

Since that time, I have become an active member of our committee and help other scouts in the troop with the eagle process. One of the boys recently met with the district advancement person to get his project approved. He was told that he could not use donations from family and friends for his eagle project and that National would have a problem with that. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!
aflmom
Star

Re: Donations eagle project

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:28 pm

National really has nothing to do with Eagle Projects other than publishing the required workbooks . They never see the completed workbook and they have passed that responsibility onto individual councils. See f the DAC has a copy of National's policy that says anything about family donations.

Ask for a copy of your council's Eagle guidelines. There should be no such restriction.

Where they may be coming from is that they don't want families to "buy" their son's Eagle Project. I reviewed a project in which the scout's financial plan was for his Dad to pay for all the materials (about $2000). His Dad was across the room and fell off his chair when I asked him.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi alfmom! Welcome back and glad you are still involved. No such reg on family donations. But, as smtroop168 said, National does not want parents to "buy" their son's Eagle. Usually parents spring for refreshments and some make minor "anonymous" donations to join the list of contributors. but nothing major.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby aflmom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:43 am

I did check council's guidelines and can't see anything anywhere saying scouts can't get donations from family and friends. Supposedly this scout was told the donations had to come from those in the community. It was hard getting donations before the economy dived and even organizations receiving the benefit of the project don't want to donate. Our scouts are starting to do some fund raisers specifically for eagle projects and are putting money in a fund to help out other scouts. The troop won't fund the project but will help with a max donation of $250 for each one. I know it's a gray area...

One thing our troop is going to start doing is having a yearly party for any scouts that have made eagle and give them a plaque. It will be nice for those (like my son) who didn't want a formal COH. His whole ordeal left a bad taste in his mouth. And the icing on the cake? Part of his project had to be torn down due to city compliance with a new septic tank being installed.

I felt bad for disappearing from the board but ran into a time crunch. As always, I appreciate the help and advice of everyone here and it's nice to see familiar names.
aflmom
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:53 am

IN our district we do not care where the funds come from as lomg as it is Legal :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby evmori » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:21 am

Bunch of bunk! Ditto to what wagon posted!

Isn't it sad when adults get in the way! :(
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

aflmom wrote:Our scouts are starting to do some fund raisers specifically for eagle projects and are putting money in a fund to help out other scouts. The troop won't fund the project but will help with a max donation of $250 for each one. I know it's a gray area...

I would ask your DAC if this is how they want scouts to work their project's financial plan. "I plan to fund my project from our Troop's Eagle Scout Project Fund" Who is going to manage this fund? "You gave scout X, $100 and me only $75. My project costs more than his did last month"

I see a headache waiting to happen.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby evmori » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:33 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
aflmom wrote:Our scouts are starting to do some fund raisers specifically for eagle projects and are putting money in a fund to help out other scouts. The troop won't fund the project but will help with a max donation of $250 for each one. I know it's a gray area...

I would ask your DAC if this is how they want scouts to work their project's financial plan. "I plan to fund my project from our Troop's Eagle Scout Project Fund" Who is going to manage this fund? "You gave scout X, $100 and me only $75. My project costs more than his did last month"

I think it's a great idea! The money dispersed should be the same for every Scout regardless of the cost of the project.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:59 pm

evmori wrote:I think it's a great idea! The money dispersed should be the same for every Scout regardless of the cost of the project.
smtroop168 wrote:

I think it's a great idea! The money dispersed should be the same for every Scout regardless of the cost of the project.

Don't disagree...as we've heard about in other posts, it's the DAC I'm more concerned about. Since they would have no guidelines on this, they'll make some up. I'll ask ours what he thinks.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FieldSports » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Disclaimer: "Bank o Dad" here

I took a much different view with my son's project (than I hear all to often about family not be able to help :evil: ). Our program and the Eagle is about community, planning and leadership (development of boys into men). I have NEVER seen anything in writing about funding, other than the standard requirements for any Scouting program. In fact, Scouting seems quite happy to accept my FOS, Popcorn, Rifle Range, Leadership campaign, Council camp campaign, Limited Edition patch campaign, Jamboree scholarship,etc........ $$. So, I quite happily wrote the check for the balance of supplies needed for his Eagle project. (Bat houses are expensive!!)

However, my caveat to my son (and others) is: Who else have you asked and how much did you get? Can you ask anyone else? What are you personnally donating? Do this and I will fund the balance.

I did not "buy" my son's Eagle. He is earning it. He was able to raise funds from other sources. However, our family was prepared to cover the total expense if his honest efforts were not successful.

BUT, the Eagle is NOT about fundraising. It is about demonstation of leadership and planning a project for the community that the young man can be proud of in years to come. :D

PS. If the family can not donate to Scouts for the eagle project, what stops them from donating directly to the organization it will benefit? The organization will in turn "donate" all the material needed. (Just trying to show the idiotcy of trying to enforce a rule on donations) :twisted:
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm

people are just making up rules as they go :?
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby aflmom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:19 pm

wagionvigil wrote:people are just making up rules as they go :?

Seems to be an ongoing problem, doesn't it? (sigh)
aflmom
Star

Postby FrankJ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I like Field sport's answer.

Or we could solve all of this by making fund raising an eagle required merit badge. :evil:
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:37 pm

FrankJ wrote:I like Field sport's answer.

Or we could solve all of this by making fund raising an eagle required merit badge. :evil:

:roll: I can see the arguments on the merit badge requirements now :roll:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:09 pm

FieldSports wrote:...PS. If the family can not donate to Scouts for the eagle project, what stops them from donating directly to the organization it will benefit? The organization will in turn "donate" all the material needed. ...

That would probably work the best for the family, who can deduct the donation if they itemize on their taxes.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 pm

FieldSports wrote:I have NEVER seen anything in writing about funding, other than the standard requirements for any Scouting program.

Here you go:

Financial Plan
Every project will cost something and you need to discuss those costs in your plan. Provide a list of all materials, tools, supplies, etc. with a cost of each. This information may be shown on your list of materials/supplies. If items are loaned or donated, state so. Remember to include any fees (e.g. building permit fees, city dump fees, etc.) in your cost estimate.

Once you have determined how much the project is going to cost, you must find the money to pay for it. You may consider several sources for funding, including the organization for which you are doing the project, donations from others, from your allowance, from your parents, or any other legitimate source. While your project MAY NOT BE A FUNDRAISER, you may conduct fundraising activities, if necessary, to finance the supplies and materials needed for your project. Obtaining the funds to do the project is your responsibility; don't assume that someone will cover cost until you have asked them.

A major part in any project, whether for Scouts, church, community, or a business, is funding. If you cannot come up with all the money you need, look at reducing the cost to get within your budget. You may even find that the project is too expensive and you will have to choose another one.

Hint – Requesting Funding: You will have better success in getting funds or materials donated by an organization or business if you can show them exactly what you need. Take your list of Materials / Supplies, with associated costs, when you meet with an organization or business leader. They will be more likely to help if they feel that you know what you are doing and have a real plan.

After the source of your funding is established, you should also consider how the money is to be handled. As money is brought in from fundraising activities, where will it be held for safekeeping? Exactly how will supplies and materials be paid for? It is strongly suggested [by this author] that you do not put your parents or yourself in the position of holding any substantial amount of money. Discuss this issue with the organization that is providing financial support. Consider letting the sponsoring organization's treasure manage the funds. Your troop treasure may also be willing to help. Whatever you decide, ensure you have a complete paper trail for all financial transactions and include a summary in your final report.

One last financial point to consider – since your project must benefit a not-for-profit organization, see if the organization has an exemption from state sales taxes. If so, find out how to take advantage of this savings before you go to buy your materials. This may help you stay within your budget. If they are not tax exempt, then don't forget to include the sales tax (normally 6 to 8%) in your budget plan.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:42 am

smtroop168 wrote:
FieldSports wrote:I have NEVER seen anything in writing about funding, other than the standard requirements for any Scouting program.

Here you go:

Financial Plan
Every project will cost something and you need to discuss those costs in your plan. Provide a list of all materials, tools, supplies, etc. with a cost of each. This information may be shown on your list of materials/supplies. If items are loaned or donated, state so. Remember to include any fees (e.g. building permit fees, city dump fees, etc.) in your cost estimate.

Once you have determined how much the project is going to cost, you must find the money to pay for it. You may consider several sources for funding, including the organization for which you are doing the project, donations from others, from your allowance, from your parents, or any other legitimate source. While your project MAY NOT BE A FUNDRAISER, you may conduct fundraising activities, if necessary, to finance the supplies and materials needed for your project. Obtaining the funds to do the project is your responsibility; don't assume that someone will cover cost until you have asked them.

A major part in any project, whether for Scouts, church, community, or a business, is funding. If you cannot come up with all the money you need, look at reducing the cost to get within your budget. You may even find that the project is too expensive and you will have to choose another one.

Hint – Requesting Funding: You will have better success in getting funds or materials donated by an organization or business if you can show them exactly what you need. Take your list of Materials / Supplies, with associated costs, when you meet with an organization or business leader. They will be more likely to help if they feel that you know what you are doing and have a real plan.

After the source of your funding is established, you should also consider how the money is to be handled. As money is brought in from fundraising activities, where will it be held for safekeeping? Exactly how will supplies and materials be paid for? It is strongly suggested [by this author] that you do not put your parents or yourself in the position of holding any substantial amount of money. Discuss this issue with the organization that is providing financial support. Consider letting the sponsoring organization's treasure manage the funds. Your troop treasure may also be willing to help. Whatever you decide, ensure you have a complete paper trail for all financial transactions and include a summary in your final report.

One last financial point to consider – since your project must benefit a not-for-profit organization, see if the organization has an exemption from state sales taxes. If so, find out how to take advantage of this savings before you go to buy your materials. This may help you stay within your budget. If they are not tax exempt, then don't forget to include the sales tax (normally 6 to 8%) in your budget plan.

Seems pretty straight forward to me :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:52 am

Some of the above is why I'm not convinced having a ESP pot of money for all to draw from is the best idea. You're going to have to have perpetual fundraisers. Younger scouts thinking they are raising money for their future projects that may not be there when it's their turn to draw on the pot.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kwildman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:09 am

smtroop168 wrote:Some of the above is why I'm not convinced having a ESP pot of money for all to draw from is the best idea. You're going to have to have perpetual fundraisers. Younger scouts thinking they are raising money for their future projects that may not be there when it's their turn to draw on the pot.

Life lessons...sounds a lot like social security to me. :roll:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 am

kwildman wrote:
Life lessons...sounds a lot like social security to me. :roll:

Or the Stock Market. :wink:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Next

Return to Eagle Scout