Need help with Life - Eagle Process

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Need help with Life - Eagle Process

Postby Cowboy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm

SM is not the big issue in this Troop. It is more of the "ingrained" oldtimers who pull the strings behind the scenes. As can be seen by some of my other posts, the DAC likes to set her own rules and proceedures. Fundraising prior to plan approval, etc. In my opinion, most of the issues with the Eagle process in our district can be laid at the door of the DAC and her "advisement group".
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby cballman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 pm

The DAC has to answer to somebody. I have always heard that the squeaky wheel gets the most grease. If you are waiting for your son to finish Eagle then I understand but then I would raise nine kinds of **** untill I got the problems fixed. I think that sometimes a person does things just because people dont question them. Then it just snowballs into an avalanche. Sometimes we as leaders need to question the process and how it is suppossed to work. I have sometimes been the bad wheel.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby Cowboy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 pm

As someone whos actual income job depends on politics, I have learned the fine art of waiting in the weeds. Our biggest issue with the SM is that he does really like his "job" and wants to stay with our Troop specifically as opposed to finding a different one to work with. As things slowly get worked out he is getting more confident that some of us have his back and will support him against the ingrained TC & ASM's. As we alll know, it is a slow process to change without distroying the good that si in place also.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I am a DAC I have met some very good women in scouting but there seems to be a bunch of women who are like the female Master Chiefs in the Navy..its my way or the highway. And if you tell them its not in the Advancement Book you are doomed to get any cooperation. Thank God ...the majority of women are a wonderful asset to scouting.
Rob
Scout

Postby FrankJ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 pm

It was my experience that was a general trait of Master Chiefs. Gender had nothing to do with it. :)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 pm

:!: Well said, FrankJ and Wagionvigil; both of you... well said. :!:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Cowboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:58 am

Looks like it is time to stick my nose into the mix again. Hand delivered his Eagle App. to Council two weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything from the DAC. I know that everything was in order, and the records are all accurate and current, so it should take all of 5 minutes to verify and stick in an envelope to the DAC. He had the AC go over everything before he sent me down. Oddly, Council did not request his workbook? I did leave a copy there "just in case", but he still has the original.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Calm down.

While your Troops records may be accurate, the council's records might be lacking. Also, the references have to all be contacted, and their reply's received (or at least a good effort has to be made to get all of them).

Your son is also not the only Eagle candidate your Council, or District, has who has sent in paperwork to be approved. So, no, it might NOT "take all of 5 minutes".

You son will not turn into a pumpkin waiting for a bit, so go focus on something else for a while. The Chairman of the Eagle BOR will contact your son.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Cowboy wrote:Looks like it is time to stick my nose into the mix again. Hand delivered his Eagle App. to Council two weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything from the DAC. I know that everything was in order, and the records are all accurate and current, so it should take all of 5 minutes to verify and stick in an envelope to the DAC. He had the AC go over everything before he sent me down. Oddly, Council did not request his workbook? I did leave a copy there "just in case", but he still has the original.

Our Council Registrar verifies the application while you wait. Usually less than 10 minutes. The EBORs at our Council are held at the unit level so the council doesn't see the ESLP or contact any refs.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Cowboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Our council verifies the information on the Application and sends it to the DAC. They do not even request a copy of the project book. The Scout is required to request letters of recommendation and provide a SASE to be returned directly to the DAC. The DAC told my son to get his application into the Council office and when she recieved it she would call him to set up the EBoR. He asked if there was anything else that he was suppose to do and she said no. She did not tell him to request the letters of recommendation, nor did she request his project book. Remember this is the same person who refused to approve his project until he had completed ALL fundraising and then looked both him and me in the eye and told us that it was required by national. That is part of why my nose is getting bent out of shape.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:47 pm

The procedures are well spelled out in the Eagle Scout Application package (Life to Eagle). The requirements for reference letters, etc. are there. If there is a problem with the DAC, then contact the Council Advancement Chair. if there is no response from the Council Chair then write a letter of appeal to the CE. It is amazing how fast you start to get attention when you write a letter of appeal to natonal with a copy of your correspondance up the chain and national feels that the council is not making sure that proper procedures are not being followed in the Eagle Scout Application processing.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:02 pm

mhjacobson wrote:The procedures are well spelled out in the Eagle Scout Application package (Life to Eagle). The requirements for reference letters, etc. are there. ...

Actually, there is no requirement spelled out anywhere for reference letters. The application asks for names of people who COULD or WOULD give a reference. Nowhere does it say to actually request or get reference letters.

Requesting said letters is the job of a district/council advancement person, not the Eagle applicant. Some councils don't even request reference letters. The names on the application is enough.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Been so busy that I have not updated this: My son is scheduled for his BoR on this Monday night.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:11 pm

scoutaholic wrote:
mhjacobson wrote:The procedures are well spelled out in the Eagle Scout Application package (Life to Eagle). The requirements for reference letters, etc. are there. ...

Actually, there is no requirement spelled out anywhere for reference letters. The application asks for names of people who COULD or WOULD give a reference. Nowhere does it say to actually request or get reference letters.

Requesting said letters is the job of a district/council advancement person, not the Eagle applicant. Some councils don't even request reference letters. The names on the application is enough.

Yep, my typing exceeded my intent -- should have stated references not reference letters.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Stresssssseeeedddddd out today. Our son sat his EBoR tonight at 6:00 pm. At 7:00 pm we were informed that he is now the newest Eagle Scout in the Blue Hills District. This is one of the proudest days of my life.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby cballman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Feels good to have that said to you dont it? Congraulates from a Father and Son Eagle duo.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby evmori » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:44 am

Cowboy wrote:Stresssssseeeedddddd out today. Our son sat his EBoR tonight at 6:00 pm. At 7:00 pm we were informed that he is now the newest Eagle Scout in the Blue Hills District. This is one of the proudest days of my life.

I know how you feel! Congrats to your son Cowboy!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 am

Congrats
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Cowboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:06 am

Apparently it was a little touch and go for a little while. The DAC & Asst. DAC are both still hung up on his age (15.5). The other 5 people (yep, you did the math right 7 people, long story) let them know that age was NOT going to be a consideration. That is one of the reasons that our son asked the District Chair to sit on the Board.

Now it is done, and he is moving on. He has served as ASPL and during his BoR told them that he wants to be SPL yet.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 am

Get him into an active Crew and away from those jerks.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Eagle Scout