How detailed do Eagle Plans need to be?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

How detailed do Eagle Plans need to be?

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 pm

#1 is filling out his Eagle Scout Leadership Book. He's in the Project Details, Method area. How detailed does this need to be? He's building a shelving system. Does this need to be step-by-step, as in Attach A to B, etc. Or is it a "general" step (clean area, put up framing, etc)? Or somewhere inbetween. Advice from those who have recently had Eagles in their troop would be greatly appreciated.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: How detailed do Eagle Plans need to be?

Postby Hubert » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:05 am

They need to be VERY detailed. How many nails, where they go, A to B, C to D.

I know I had to be detailed when I did mine. Where fundraising is being done, whos going to be there, when, what times, etc.

Even if it is not mandatory, it looks better. It will impress the board at the extra work being put forth by the scout. Thats MHO about it, I htink that it should be more detailed to show more effort, not just trying to "sneak by".
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:53 am

It should be so detailed that someone else could take over the project at any point of the project and be able to finish it by what he has written.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:41 am

AquilaNegra2 wrote:#1 is filling out his Eagle Scout Leadership Book. He's in the Project Details, Method area. How detailed does this need to be? He's building a shelving system. Does this need to be step-by-step, as in Attach A to B, etc. Or is it a "general" step (clean area, put up framing, etc)? Or somewhere inbetween. Advice from those who have recently had Eagles in their troop would be greatly appreciated.

The answer is Yes. General and Specific. General in terms of the overall schedule, workforce, supplies/materials/tools. Specific in the building process that will be followed with diagram or plans. I have a scout who wants to build picnic tables. He drew a picnic table with no dimensions. His response was "everyone knows how a picnic table goes together". Project write up is still work in progress.

Once completed, have #1 give it to #2 and see if he understands what needs to be done.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Cowboy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:29 am

What they said. Plans should be detailed enough that anyone who reads it can step in and take over if something happens to the Eagle Candidate. This is not a service project, it is a Leadership project. The way it has been explained to us is that the plan should be on site at all times and if the EC needs to leave everyone else can keep going.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby evmori » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:00 am

lifescoutforlife wrote:It should be so detailed that someone else could take over the project at any point of the project and be able to finish it by what he has written.

Exactly!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Thank you. He said that helps. Back to the CAD program for him ;-).
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby John F. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:26 pm

When my son did his eagle project paper work, he was informed that he shouldn't say that he needed x-number of 10D BRIGHT COMMON NAIL, but he should say he needs x-number of pounds of 10D BRIGHT COMMON NAIL. Lowes and Home depot sells nails in 5, 10, and 50 lbs buckets.
John Furlong
Asst. Scout Master

Alice: "How long is forever?"
White Rabbit: "Sometimes just a second."
John F.
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:59 pm

The materials should be in the unit of issue they are sold by so that you can accurately reflect the cost in your financial plan.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:19 pm

AquilaNegra2: Every detail imaginable should be in the plan, including diagrams, building permits (where necessary), man-power needs, contingency plans for bad weather, tool needs, materials and costs, who's paying or how fundraising will be done, etc., etc. Most of my candidates find the workbook doesn't have sufficient space for the details and do the plans on their computers, then place everything in a thin 3-ring binder. As stated above, enough detail that another person could pick up the plans and know what and how this project needs to be completed. I even had one Scout break his arm scateboarding, the day before he started his project! He was hurting, but there on site leading. Others read his plans and knew EXACTLY what had to be done.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby VenturingL » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:00 pm

My son's troop expects MSDS sheets, if applicable + map to closest hospital. If someone had glued his fingers together with the threadlock used on his project, we would have had important info for the ER doctor. (No one did, thank goodness - no injuries from saws, drills, or power auger either!) But he was prepared! (Now where have I heard something about that before.... :lol: )
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby Chief J » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:35 pm

lifescoutforlife wrote:It should be so detailed that someone else could take over the project at any point of the project and be able to finish it by what he has written.

Ditto!!

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:19 pm

I would suggest typing everything up and then paperclipping it to the workbook. This allows more space for details about the project.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:47 pm

See ALL of the above, and, in 17 years and 198 candidates, almost ALL of them typed their proposals and put them in a term paper cover or 3-ringed binder with copies of workbook pages 1, 6 and 9 on top an cover pages. Plans need to be very specific, with diagrams showing dimensions, too. And don't forget the "before" pictures of the area . . it's REQUIRED in his case. And include man-power sources and funding sources or ways to obtain the $ (the $ DOES NOT have to be aquired before starting!). Tell him good luck from all of us.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:20 am

Thanks, Bill. He finished -- took him longer than he expected and more $ than anticipated (the project grew on-site). It was a wholly worthwhile endeavor. The committee chair sent him back to rework his plans a couple of times; that was frustrating for him, but a valuable lesson. Now he says he's ready for a Hornaday ;-)
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:13 am

Congrats to him! And, you survived, too?? :?
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Eagle Scout