What options are available?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby aflmom » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:10 pm

I must have finally left a message with the 'right' person because I received two phone calls back this afternoon. :D

To make a long story short, the district advancement committee member never sent in our son's eagle project. He's had it since Jan. They weren't sure if he was mailing or hand-delivering it, but they expect to have it by Monday. And the book should never have gone to this guy. The CE said he's been in scouting long enough to know that. Also, I guess there's a new application form and our son may have passed the deadline on the old form and will have to submit another one. So...that's where we're at.

Do you guys want to solve the other problems in our life??? :lol:

Thanks for the help!
aflmom
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Helping you with scouts is more than enough :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Aflmom, the application now asks for 2 items in Requirement 5: what is the "name" of the project and the "total hours" it took, as reported in the work book (or write-up). I suspect National wants to track Eagle service hours to let our nation's communities know what we do for them each year. Good idea, I think. May help us all with donations. You can download the new application at NESA's web site, along with www.usscouting.org, to name a couple.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:41 pm

AFL it has come to my attention that my use of "idiot" was inappropriate. I am sorry for the poor word choice. Do know that those words were directed atyour son's scouters, not you. I stand firm on what I said that what they did was innappropriate and still believe they deserve a suspension from scouting or be kicked out all together. They served your son a crushing injustice.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:24 pm

:)
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby aflmom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:AFL it has come to my attention that my use of "idiot" was inappropriate. I am sorry for the poor word choice. Do know that those words were directed atyour son's scouters, not you. I stand firm on what I said that what they did was innappropriate and still believe they deserve a suspension from scouting or be kicked out all together. They served your son a crushing injustice.

Gosh, I never took it personally or thought the words were directed toward us. Thanks for the apology though in case others might have misunderstood. :)
aflmom
Star

Now what?

Postby aflmom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:55 am

All right, I was told to call back on Monday to confirm that council received my son's Eagle Project. The person I was suppose to contact is out of town for the weekend. I spoke with one other person, who was also on vacation, that I just happened to catch in the office. He couldn't tell me anything. No one else has returned my phone calls.

I've left messages with the Scout Executive, adm services manager, the guy listed under customer service, the Learning for Life director, executive, and assistant, and even the mail room person. My messages have been pleasant. Maybe that's the problem?

On Monday, I can contact the person who is suppose to be in the 'know' but you would think more than one person could answer my question as to whether or not his project arrived. After two months of it sitting in someone's car or house, I'm a little skeptical.

Do I go to national next?
aflmom
Star

Re: Now what?

Postby RWSmith » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am

aflmom wrote:Do I go to national next?

There's one more stop you can try before getting the National Council involved... Call the local Scout Executive's boss, the Southern Region Executive, at 707-421-1601.

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution, in writing, immediately call the National Council and follow-up with a Certified-RRR letter.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby aflmom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks, I'll call the Scout Executive again and tell him that if I haven't heard something by 1pm on Monday, I'll be calling the Southern Region Executive.

The reason I say Monday is because the one person will be back from vacation. Still...you would think that someone could at least return a phone call saying they're unable to find out any information, but will f/u first thing Monday morning.

It's frustrating because this has also impacted other areas. It's my understanding that to apply for eagle scholarships the application has to be submitted by their senior year and that it's too late for this year. My son graduated in Dec but technically is listed as 2007/2008 school year.

Also, my older son is in the Air Force and was going to try to fly in (as a surprise) for our son's COH and present the award. However, with summer around the corner, I don't think he'll be able to get away. When the project was completed in Dec. we never dreamed it would be an issue.
aflmom
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:48 pm

Mr. Bill Steele at National is where I would head. You've been jerked around enough and the Region is just another delay. 800-920-0443
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Great Guy Took care of a problem for a friend today out eastern Pa.
Oh That was you wasn't it? :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 pm

I agree with SM....between the local troop and the council you have been pushed around with the serious business of Eagle Scout. National should fix everything.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby aflmom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:05 pm

It's sure nice to have friends in high places. Ones that know the names and phone numbers of the right people to contact. :)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help!
aflmom
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Yep...that's me..Mr. Merit Badge Sash
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:36 pm

you are going to have one po'd mother :twisted:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 am

Not to get off aflmom's needs here but "A Scout is Obedient" is all I need to say. When I get to it, I'll explain the scenario to all in the Uniform Forum section.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby aflmom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Not to get off aflmom's needs here but "A Scout is Obedient" is all I need to say. When I get to it, I'll explain the scenario to all in the Uniform Forum section.

Nothing like a teaser. :)

Looks like we're making progress. The guy that has had our son's eagle project since Dec. called and was yelling at him. The gist of the conversation was this:

guy: You're only 14
son: No, I'm 15.
guy: There's no rush. You still have 3 years of high school
son: No, I graduated high school and community college last December
guy: Well, you still won't be going off to college for a couple of years
son: Actually, I've already been accepted into a university for fall

I guess when the conversation ended, he apologized to our son for yelling and said he would get the project off.

Before all this took place, I had a call from council (3-4 people were there in the room) and we discussed the issue. They did find out the project hadn't been received by their office. Our son 'just happened' to call me from work (a rarity) and I told him about the phone conversation. He no sooner got off the phone from me when he received the irate phone call.

The bottom line is the guy has had the project since Dec. Every time our son checked with him, he said it was being taken care of. He also knew but probably forgot that our son graduated high school.

Was my son upset? Nope, some flaw in his personality enjoys confrontational situations and he was laughing afterwards. He also takes immense pleasure in remaining calm when another person is angry.
aflmom
Star

Postby FrankJ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:24 pm

Boy, this is a new angle on why they wait to 18 thread. My SM had my paper work....
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby cballman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:00 pm

aflmom I would like to apologize for the scouter that yelled at your son, He was out of line totaly. Your son seems like the perfect Eagle Scout. I would love to have the honor of meeting your son. from what you have wrote about him he seems like a very exceptional young man. but since your just a little ways away I most likley will not be able to meet him. but if I were you then I would still make the trip to the council office and register a written complaint after you have the project back in your hands.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby aflmom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks, Charlie. I guess the guy was mad that I was making all those phone calls and notifying everyone. He made some comment that it was our son's project and I shouldn't have gotten involved. After two months of our son calling him every couple of weeks and getting nothing further than "It's being taken care of" when he did get a response, I figured it was time for me to get involved.

I still need to f/u. Something was said about meeting on Tues (? members of the district) to review his project. (He has all the signatures). Unfortunately, our son told him he can't on Tues. One of his college professors nominated him for an award and the presentation is that evening. :(

BTW, for the sake of honesty, he's far from perfect and drives me crazy at times. We're polar opposites. lol He's a good kid though. I was talking to him today and asked him why he enjoys confrontation. He replied that typically people are more creative. They say what they think and feel without stopping to measure their words or if they're politically correct.

I, on the other hand, hate confrontation. If it was anything but an eagle, I would walk away, but he's put in too much time and work for that. And if I let 'him' walk away, he would always regret it. By the time he gets to the BOR, it will be a piece of cake. The one area I have to say he truly excels in is his verbal communication skills and being able to answer questions. He's the type of person that can find common ground with most anyone--a gift I wish I had. I do know he'll enjoy the BOR experience--when it happens. :)
aflmom
Star

PreviousNext

Return to Eagle Scout