What options are available?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:27 pm

Everything that your son does toward his project counts towards hours. Fund raising is not an exception. If your son raised funds toward his project, I would expect to see the time spent writing thank you letters to the people / organizations that contributed. A Scout is Courteous.

If you drove him to meeting your time counts too!
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 pm

aflmom wrote:
Seems like this has been going on forever, huh? First one thing than another. I remember when he got in 'trouble' for advancing too quickly and the leaders were concerned about a younger scout being a higher rank than some of the older scouts or scouts who had been with the troop for a long time.

And then there was the time he was blindsided and called into a meeting of adults leaders because they disapproved of him going to college at 12 and said he was setting himself up to fail, etc. Well, two years later at 14 he graduated with a dual associates degree and honors. Now, at 15 he's working part-time, taking 12 credits, involved with youth group, music, drama, scouts and is happy. He's been accepted into a university for fall and thus the reason he's trying to get his eagle project wrapped up before he leaves home.

WHAT!?

This troop is full of idiots. You can never advance too quickly.

While I thought I was young (at 16) when I started college (along with high school) 12 is very young. Howver, the SM /ASMs are in no way allowed to set up meetings like this. Some scouters........GRRRR!
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby aflmom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Well, I left a message for the CE and spoke with someone at district who was also going to check into it. According to the SM, the CE is pretty proactive so we'll see what happens.

I wouldn't call them idiots. They just approach things a little differently and perhaps not always by BSA rules. :roll:
aflmom
Star

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:09 pm

aflmom wrote:
I wouldn't call them idiots.

I would.

They have no right whatsoever to interfere with a 12-year old (who is not related to them) about his education (especially when he is taking advantage of opportunities many would die for.)
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby aflmom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:
aflmom wrote:
I wouldn't call them idiots.

I would.

They have no right whatsoever to interfere with a 12-year old (who is not related to them) about his education (especially when he is taking advantage of opportunities many would die for.)

In hindsight, our son commented (about 6 months after the incident), that he would have insisted the SPL be present if he had known. From the way it sounded, he handled himself great at the meeting and held it together until he came home and cried. Things that were difficult or bothered him at 12-13 are a piece of cake at 15. :D A few years along with more experience makes a big difference.
aflmom
Star

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:41 pm

aflmom wrote: From the way it sounded, he handled himself great at the meeting and held it together until he came home and cried.

Personally I would've switched troops the moment this happened (and reported this to council). Some scouters made an 11 year old cry....I think they don't deserve to hold their membership in the BSA. They are breaking MAJOR rules.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

aflmom wrote: . . . put down materials were donated . . .

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:29 pm

This is totally wrong! All time raising money for materials, or seeking donations for materials, or seeking donations of materials certainly counts. Tell this advancement person to read the Advancement Guidlines book. Only raising pure money and giving it to some organization isn't allowed.

Someone needs to train your troop's or council's advancement committee!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Re: aflmom wrote: . . . put down materials were donated . .

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:Someone needs to train your troop's or council's advancement committee!

I'd prefere to kick them out of scouting. :evil:
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:
Bill Pitcher wrote:Someone needs to train your troop's or council's advancement committee!

If they are doing the wrong thing because they do not know any better, then training is appropriate. It is a far easier way to fix the problem than recruiting all new leaders would be.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Now what?

Postby aflmom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:33 pm

No one is calling be back from council or district.

I left a message with the CE last week and spoke with a person involved with eagle advancement last week from the office located in Tampa, Fl. I then left a message today with the next person in the chain of command (per the person who answered the phone). This was after I tried once again to contact the eagle advancement person I spoke with last week who said she would check into it and call me back.

Need I say I'm frustrated...
aflmom
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:34 pm

In ALl honesty these people know the right way but are preferring to do it their way or the way the troop has always done it.

If they have not been trained then they do not belong in the positions they are in. I am for mandatory training. Take it or get out simple. Other organizations have mandatory training we need to put into effect and back it up.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Mrw wrote:
pipestone1991 wrote:

If they are doing the wrong thing because they do not know any better, then training is appropriate. It is a far easier way to fix the problem than recruiting all new leaders would be.

Any HUMAN would not make a 12year old cry.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello I am the Attorney Representing (little Johnny) in his suit against (persons NAme). :twisted:

Phone: 770-421-1601 This is the Number for the sounthern region BSA they are the Boss of your council. Rattle some doors.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby aflmom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:12 pm

To be fair, they didn't 'know' they made him cry. I just went back and looked over my notes about the meeting on Nov. 2005. There were 3 adults and they grilled him for 1 1/2 hrs. One of the adults thought it was over, left, and when he came back made the comment, "Are they still beating you up?" My notes include everything he told me that was said. I didn't do it for documentation purposes, but I included it in a 'book' of his life experiences. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge. My main concern is finding out what the deal is with his eagle project and getting someone to call me back.

How does one go about becoming an independent scout? And if he did, how do we go about him having an eagle BOR? Can a conference call be set up for it? As the parent of an independent scout, would I be the one approving his project?
aflmom
Star

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 pm

aflmom wrote:To be fair, they didn't 'know' they made him cry. I just went back and looked over my notes about the meeting on Nov. 2005. There were 3 adults and they grilled him for 1 1/2 hrs.
1.They went way over the line, any real ADULT would have known that. You don't grill a 12-year old for something that isnone of there business.

How does one go about becoming an independent scout? And if he did, how do we go about him having an eagle BOR? Can a conference call be set up for it? As the parent of an independent scout, would I be the one approving his project?

2. I'm not sure he can become an independant scout if therfe is a troop in the area. The purpose of the program is for those who do not have a unit in there area and those living outside of the U.S.

Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:53 pm

I do not think that adults should do this. Weather they are trained or not, I would not grill a youth for that long. If he really, REALLY messed up, it would only be for a short period. plus, if it was that bad, he would be removed from the program. I just htink that the common sense should have went off, being trained or not. You do not need to grill scouts.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Hubert wrote:I do not think that adults should do this. Weather they are trained or not, I would not grill a youth for that long. If he really, REALLY messed up, it would only be for a short period. plus, if it was that bad, he would be removed from the program. I just htink that the common sense should have went off, being trained or not. You do not need to grill scouts.

Hub, read the posts.....he was grilled (at 12 and for 1.5 hours), for attending college early. the adults were out of line and should be kicked out of scouting.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:17 pm

Exactly my point. Being trained has nothing to do with it. He is working on his future...isnt that what we want? Is to help provide a better future for the youth? Well, my question is what place does the troop play in this? Its his parents and his choice. I fail to see where the troop comes in.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Hubert wrote: I fail to see where the troop comes in.

Exactly, this is the thing we don't need in scouting. That is, scouters playing god.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby John F. » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 pm

These adults need to remember this scout may be smart as a college kid, but he is still has the emotion of a 12 year old. He didn't need to be grilled for 1.5 hrs.
John Furlong
Asst. Scout Master

Alice: "How long is forever?"
White Rabbit: "Sometimes just a second."
John F.
Star

PreviousNext

Return to Eagle Scout