What options are available?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 am

aflmom wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:Here's my suggestion for his EBOR members: :D

wagionvigil
cballman
asm 142
evmori
chief j

I'll stay outside with the Council advancement member and have a chat. We all need a trip to FLA. :P

He'll do fine no matter who is on the board.

Sounds great to me and looks like the odds would be stacked in our favor! :lol: May is a perfect time of the year to vacation in Florida. :wink:

I will be in Daytona Beach on 4/29 if you can get the date moved. If you are uncertain about the make-up of the EBOR members you can record it for your own records. You as a parent also can observe as well as the current SM.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:50 am

From RWSmith's eaglescout.org website on Eagle BOR Guidelines

In no case should a relative or guardian of the candidate attend the review, either as a participant or observer.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 pm

smtroop168 wrote:From RWSmith's eaglescout.org website on Eagle BOR Guidelines

In no case should a relative or guardian of the candidate attend the review, either as a participant or observer.

The key word here is "should." In most cases a parent should not observe. However, it is not forbidden and in some cases I would encourage it.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby cballman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:20 pm

I would fly down and come right back but that is my sons senior band banquet and his birthday. change the date and I will see if I can fly down.

make it on a Sat. that i dont have to work and I will be there for him.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Okay I guess. I was thinking the keys words were "in no case"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:10 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Okay I guess. I was thinking the keys words were "in no case"

I can not see how the BSA can tell a parent that they are going to do something with their son and they are not allow to observe.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:14 pm

I don't disagree but my guess is most scouts don't want Mom or Dad there. I think it so the scout is more at easy than having his parent hovering. They should be ready to "go it alone" by now. My son just completed his Eagle BOR and I'm his SM. I introduced him to the board and excused myself. 45 minutes later he emerged smiling. It's a great feeling as you know.

Have a great weekend!
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:16 pm

smtroop168 wrote:I don't disagree but my guess is most scouts don't want Mom or Dad there. I think it so the scout is more at easy than having his parent hovering. They should be ready to "go it alone" by now. My son just completed his Eagle BOR and I'm his SM. I introduced him to the board and excused myself. 45 minutes later he emerged smiling. It's a great feeling as you know.

Have a great weekend!

I believe parents shouldhave the right, but on the other hand, going it alone is far better. There are some interesting questions asked. In my case ethical questions which I think weren't allowed.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Boy, what a mess. I would like to know why it will take a MONTH to set up an EBoR? I set up mine within 2 weeks. As for who attends, I contact 2 people from Council, and then ask the Committee Chair for two. Some units let the CC pick and some units let the boy pick (I prefer the boy's picks myself). I also ask the SM to come, introduce the candidate, and then immediately ask the SM about the candidates "active" status and his "leadership roles" with the troop. After that, the SM is an observer and does not see any references. But, AT NO TIME DOES A PARENT OBSERVE OR ATTEND. You can interpret the difference in "should" and "would" all you want . . . the parents do not belong there. I invite them in at the end when we give the boy the thumbs up. By this time, there should be no problem having meet with the SM and the CC before turning in his paperwork. In 15 years I only had 3 that didn't pass and 4 that turned 18 and didn't get the project and paperwork done. Alfmom's son should be just fine.

I too would like to sit on his BOR. Sounds like a great Scout, mature for his age, and a stand up guy. Alfmom, you should be proud. All of us in this thread would love to help form the "Eagle's Nest" around him!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote: I would like to know why it will take a MONTH to set up an EBoR?

HA!!!!! Mine took 6 weeks!!!!!

Dude, council's are busy. 8)
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Pipestone, councils ARE busy and understaffed, but not the Eagle Chairman. They're volunteers! This council is just giving Aflmom and her son a hard time still . . . my opinion.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:37 pm

smtroop168 wrote:From RWSmith's eaglescout.org website on Eagle BOR Guidelines

I appreciate the plug; but, sorry, that's not my website. See http://www.eaglescout.org/general/about.html for the who's who about that great website.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:Pipestone, councils ARE busy and understaffed,yep but not the Eagle Chairman. They're volunteers! I was blunt, I should've meant to say that they are very busy with the 17 going on 18s, my bad.This council is just giving Aflmom and her son a hard time still . . . my opinion.]EXACTLY!
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:56 pm

alfmom,

Please don't even hint around asking (for yourself, or any other relative) to be present during your son's ESBOR. Just don't do it. For two reasons. 1) You don't want to be seen as a helicopter parent, even though somebody already thinks that; and 2) For his own benefit, this BOR is something that he should do on his own.

Also, if the SM you referred to that's going to sit on his BOR was, at anytime, your son's SM, then, IMHO, that would not be appropriate. Regardless of whether he's the SM, now, or not. He may be called in as an observer, should the board so choose; but, he may not sit on the board.

I'm positive your son's BOR will go off without a hitch. You and he, both, are to be commended.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:11 pm

OOPS. Sorry and my apology to the keepers of eaglescout.org :oops:

Randy...you still do great work. :D
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby aflmom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 pm

For the record, I DON'T want to be at his EBOR. He managed to hold his own when he was 12 with 3-4 adults for 1 1/2 hours. He doesn't intimidate easily, and he doesn't need me to hold his hand now. :) He's matured a lot since then and is more comfortable with who he is. He's also more outspoken, and I've cautioned him that he still needs to be respectful.

As far as the date, we weren't really given a choice. If we attempt to change it, I'm afraid it will come across as disinterest or something else. I do appreciate the offers though!

Initially, when they said our son could invite someone if he would be more comfortable, he shrugged it off. However, after thinking about it, he's reconsidering. He thinks having someone else there will make some of the others more accountable. He has an attorney friend at the church where he attends youth group and is going to check and see if he's ever been involved in scouts. He's also thinking about the DE since he's the one that said xxxx (the guy who's been sitting on the project) should never have been involved in the first place.
aflmom
Star

Postby Fibonacci » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:00 am

alfmom ~ you are doing a great job in a tough situation. Kudos!

your son:
He has an attorney friend at the church where he attends youth group and is going to check and see if he's ever been involved in scouts.

Eagle Board of Review members:
These members do not have to be registered in Scouting, but they must have an understanding of the importance and purpose of the Eagle Board of Review.

I hope your son is able to select at least one person to participate in this opportunity. Best wishes to your son!
Fibonacci
Life

Postby CrossF!r3 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Hey all,

I suppose this is where I make my entrance :P

Since I just re-registered on the forums again (I had an account back in 05, but have since forgotten the credentials), I suppose I need to post a proper introduction. I'll keep it short though :lol:

I am the scout in question here. My mom can attest to that if need be. I've been in scouting for three to four years now. Its been a long and winding road with lots of twists and turns. I've had my fair share of joys and well, not so joyous things. Overall it's been a great experience, and I have learned and matured a lot.

I've always been the "lucky" (sarcasm) one if you will. My Scoutmaster conferences and Board of Reviews have always been more difficult than I perceived others to be. When I went in for my Star board of review, I recall it being around 45min. long. I had to thoroughly answer questions that ranged from first aid to some wilderness survival techniques and tie all my knots along with leadership type questions. I had a friend (who was also going for star) who went in after me, and he was out within five minutes. He was asked one question, "Why do you want to be a Star Scout?"

Now, I'm on the final leg of the journey, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure I could have had a better (scouting) experience elsewhere, but what's important to me is that I was able to stay with it and learn and grow from the experience. I've learned a lot, and I know the knowledge I've gained is going to stay with me forever. Thanks to my former SM being a SWAT team member, I've learned a lot of discipline as well. I probably could have gone elsewhere and there wouldn't have been as much adversity, but hey that wouldn't be as much fun now would it? Haha, I suppose I'm a oddball type person. I love adversity, If there's something I've decided to do and someone says that I can't do it, then it becomes a personal challenge and only motivates me all the more. It drives my mom crazy :P

I sincerely appreciate all the support and help you have offered. I seriously considered the possibility of one of you flying down here and it was a nice thought (Thank you for the offer!), but I feel it best if I stick with the date that has been currently set. I've been "Pushing" (in their words) my EBoR for a while now, and to all of a sudden change the date after a date has been finally set gives them room to question things. I've just about had enough of being questioned. I really don't want to give them more room to do so. Later today I will be calling our DE and asking if he will accompany me on my EBoR. I will also speak to Lenny (my friend, the attorney) if he would be able to sit on it as well. If the DE will be able to attend, it will be more of a surprise for the other half of the board. I don't think they would try to pull anything "dirty" but I'm sure with the DE being there that everything will be strictly followed by the book. I'm absolutely confident we'll do fine. Day by day now the suspense is getting higher, and I love every minute of it.

Thank you all for the support and help. It means a lot to us all 8)

Sincerely,
Andrew
Eagle Scout - 5/21/2008
CrossF!r3
Scout

Postby t305spl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Andrew,

You probably have learned more through the Scouting Experience then many others who have been through this organization. I too felt stress and anger at points during my scouting life, but I firmly believe it has made me a stronger and more efficient leader.

I believe, as I am sure you do, that scouting was a major influence in my maturity and character. You seem like you have accomplished and continue to accomplish a lot both in the organization and outside the organization, which is what an Eagle Scout does.

I am sure you will do fine during your Eagle BOR. I hope you will continue in Scouting after you achieve Eagle and give back to the others coming through.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Andrew,

I too, feel you will do just fine at your EBoR. I wish I was running it . . . I would have loved to have met and talked to you, (and aflmom). Soon, you will soar with the rest of us "Eagles." Good Luck!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Eagle Scout