What options are available?

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What options are available?

Postby aflmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:19 pm

My son completed his eagle project in Jan. This was after spending a year on a couple of different projects with different organizations that never went anywhere because he couldn't get them to follow-up. Even this project took almost a year coordinating.

His SM is fairly new and this is his first 'eagle' scout. Some things were done out of sequence and misinformation given to our son. The committee chairman reviewed everything and wanted some dates changed. (I had a hard time with that, but the guy told our son it didn't alter the fact of him doing the project.) Supposedly everything was in order and his eagle packet went to district, but he's still hasn't heard from them. He's not getting any definitive answers from his SM, assistant SM, or the committee chairman.

Is there any way of following up with district? I've heard of scouts being independent scouts, but I don't think it would be as meaningful that way. Would it make a difference being with another troop, district, or council?

Unfortunately, all the problems including almost 2 years of trying to do an eagle project, have left less than a pleasant taste in my mouth. I would have given up a long time ago, but he's not a quitter. I know this isn't the right attitude, but I just want it over with.
aflmom
Star

Postby WVBeaver05 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Was the project approved by the District before your son did it?

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:14 am

Contact your district's advancement chair and get some general info on how Eagle projects are dealt with. If there is no district advancement chair, contact your unit commissioner. Just get information on rules, people, etc..

Changing dates, etc. is not what we teach. :oops: However, teaching that time, resourcefulness, and patience are required is a very valuable lesson for our youth. My son is going through the excerise right now :D

Once you have found the "right" way of doing things. Provide the information to your son. Let him run with the ball from there.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby aflmom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:37 am

WVBeaver05 wrote:Was the project approved by the District before your son did it?

YiS

We were told that it had been approved by the SM, but guess it was an unofficial approval. Based on that, he went ahead with the project and completed it.

It was extremely difficult coordinating times of when equipment was available (donated), when the time worked for the church and didn't interfere with other things, as well as getting volunteers. As he commented, being a project manager is a lot easier when you have paid employees--you're not at their mercy. :)

The workbook was completed and turned in in Jan.
aflmom
Star

Postby aflmom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 am

[quote="FieldSports"]Contact your district's advancement chair and get some general info on how Eagle projects are dealt with. If there is no district advancement chair, contact your unit commissioner. Just get information on rules, people, etc..

Now to find those people and who's who. The troop doesn't put out a list.

Thanks for the suggestions!
aflmom
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:55 am

What Council are you From? Please put this in your profile under location.
This helps us al when a problem like this arises
Now You have options of contacting your District Executive and ask the some questions as to who is who.

A SM Does not approve an Eagle Project by them selves this is usually a district or council approval.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 am

The way we do it in our troop. the project is written up as a proposal. it is then taken to the org. that will benefit to see that it is ok. get that signature. then it goes before our troop committie. get that signature then the scoutmaster goes over it. get that signature. then goes to the district person in charge of Eagle projects. get that signature. then the project can begin. find out the dates, get the materials, get a hot list of what needs to be done first and the most. then the project can start. I know that some people think that all the signatures are a little overboard but it better to be safe than sorry.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 am

The proceedure is in black and white in the Eagle Project workbook which your son should have been given at his Life COH.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:17 am

aflmom wrote:Now to find those people and who's who. The troop doesn't put out a list.

If you are uncertain, call your council office and ask what district you are in and also ask who the advancement chairperson for that district is and how to get ahold of them. As an alternative, when you call the council office, ask for your District Executive and ask them who the advancement chairperson is and how to get ahold of them.

YIS,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:46 am

aflmom wrote:
WVBeaver05 wrote:Was the project approved by the District before your son did it?

YiS

We were told that it had been approved by the SM, but guess it was an unofficial approval. Based on that, he went ahead with the project and completed it.

It was extremely difficult coordinating times of when equipment was available (donated), when the time worked for the church and didn't interfere with other things, as well as getting volunteers. As he commented, being a project manager is a lot easier when you have paid employees--you're not at their mercy. :)

The workbook was completed and turned in in Jan.

If the project wasn't approved by the DAC prior to starting it, all the work is for naught!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 am

On Appeal the scout wins. We went through this about 5 years ago. It was a liittle different though as nO one had approved in writing the project. The scout talked to his church and just did the project. When denied it was appealed and the denial was over ruled. The situation be ing discussed now is even easier to over rule as the SM did give his approval per se it was just not aproved on the district level. SO is the scout punished because the SM has not a Clue?
I am usually a hard *** but in this case the kid gets the knod
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:29 am

It sure sounds like the new Scoutmaster needs to have a bit more training!

I agree that the scout's project, in this case, should count even though the sign-offs were not done properly. He should not suffer from the SM's misinformation.

There should not have been a two month lag between the submission of the Eagle packet and now with no word back from them. Definitely call the Council and ask for all the names who might have handled it to see where it got bogged down.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 am

aflmom ~ when you do get all the answers, the names of the contact people, and the proper way to do things, PLEASE write it all down for the next Eagle Scout candidates in your son's troop. This information should be available to all Scouts as they earn Life and perhaps even included in their Eagle packet. Perhaps you can even volunteer to serve as a project-paperwork mentor.

Our troop's Eagle Coordinator is a Troop Committee Member who's Eagle son aged out 2 1/2 years ago. She is such a valuable asset to the troop!

I hope this delay is resolved soon.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby evmori » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am

I don't have a problem with the kid not knowing the procedure and I'm all for siding with the kids, but if this is overturned then what is the use of even needing the approval from the district or council? All one has to do is claim ignorance! Now I'm not advocating this, but where do we draw the line?
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 am

If the aprents and the scout take the time to read through the project booklet as soon as they get it which should be at the Life COH as you can start your project at that time. You do not have to wait until all the Merit Badges are done. Thats another thread. :( It would make everyones life a lot easier.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby aflmom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:30 pm

To clarify...the SM approved the project, said he would give the paperwork to council or district (I'm not sure which one), and then it was our son's understanding that it was approved and he could go ahead with it.

I don't know the district, but my son does. I'll have him make some phone calls and see if we can find out what's going on. He's talked to his SM and committee person numerous times but hasn't gotten an answer back. Oops, just looked at his copies of the approval signature for the project plan, and the person he hasn't gotten any answers from must be the "Council or district advancement member" since his name is signed on that line.

I guess I'm starting to feel a time crunch here since his troop doesn't meet over the summer, and next fall he's leaving for college.
aflmom
Star

Postby Mrw » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm

If the Council or District advancement person signed the project book, the project was fully approved and was done properly.

You need to find out then, what happened to the completed Eagle application packet after it was given to someone to turn in to Council.

Either it got lost on the way, or it got bogged down someplace after it arrived.

Either way, you need to start making phone calls and get people looking for it.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Another piece of advice: Always make copies of everything. Also, write down the names and dates of folks you speak with. I know it is a pain, but in the end, if something happens, you can go back and search notes, etc.

I hope all ends up well.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:03 pm

wagionvigil wrote:On Appeal the scout wins. We went through this about 5 years ago. It was a liittle different though as nO one had approved in writing the project. The scout talked to his church and just did the project. When denied it was appealed and the denial was over ruled. The situation be ing discussed now is even easier to over rule as the SM did give his approval per se it was just not aproved on the district level. SO is the scout punished because the SM has not a Clue?
I am usually a hard *** but in this case the kid gets the knod

Wagion hit it directly on the spot.[/i]
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 am

Every Life Scout should take Life to Eagle training and/or pull Randy Smith's guidance of www.eaglescout.org so they understand the process. A generic process is also in the back of the ES workbook. We have the scout present his project to the District rep and recommend that his project book never leave his possession.

Edited By Wagionvigil
Thankyou
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Next

Return to Eagle Scout