Eagle BORs - Scout is not successful

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Eagle BORs - Scout is not successful

Postby evmori » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:35 pm

FieldSports wrote:He was only "caught" once dealing. Mom should wake up and smell the prison coffee in her future. Three referrences ALL bad? He needs military school more than Scouting.

I hope for mom's sake the state pen isn't a far drive!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Mrw » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 pm

And here I am wanting to recuse myself from the EBOR of our next last minute Eagle. I have my doubts about whther he can finish on time, but I also fail to see where he has shown any sort of leadership in getting the project or other recent, related tasks done.

Wuss that I am, I don't want to be the one to tell him he did not make the cut. That being said, I am spending plenty of time counseling him on what other details he needs to attend to so he can succeed.

What is really a shame is that he started out as the kid who advanced faster than the others his age and was always ready for things as a young scout.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Mrw wrote:And here I am wanting to recuse myself from the EBOR of our next last minute Eagle. I have my doubts about whther he can finish on time, but I also fail to see where he has shown any sort of leadership in getting the project or other recent, related tasks done.

Wuss that I am, I don't want to be the one to tell him he did not make the cut. That being said, I am spending plenty of time counseling him on what other details he needs to attend to so he can succeed.

What is really a shame is that he started out as the kid who advanced faster than the others his age and was always ready for things as a young scout.

Was he held back early On due to> " He is too young to be an Eagle". If so he is a pass regardless of what leadership he has been showing
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:01 pm

wagionvigil wrote:
Mrw wrote:

Was he held back early On due to> " He is too young to be an Eagle". If so he is a pass regardless of what leadership he has been showing

No, not held back in any way at all, except by himself. He told me he is "a last minute kind of guy," and I commented that is nothing to brag about or be proud of.
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 pm

MRW.....Please do not be a wuss on this. If you feel strongly enough about his lack of qualification to be an Eagle, it's almost your duty to step up.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:44 pm

PeteMu wrote:His mom thought that their turning him down was unfair (it was, after all, only once in dealing pot) and she wanted him to appealed it. Haven't heard what happened with that one yet, if he had a council one or not. Everyone is keeping quiet on that.

The EBOR is the least of her worries but my guess is that she is from the "entitlement culture".
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby John F. » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 pm

Just received our council news paper in the mail yesterday. In it was this article about the way council are going to handle upcoming eagle candidates.

Once the scout finds a project , with the help of his Scoutmater, and completes his project workbook up to page 9, he then secures the neccessary signatures except for the Disgtrict Advancement Chair. At this point, the Scout schdules his first meeting with the District Eagle Board by calling the District Eagle Coordinator and making an appointment. The Board will meet at a predetermined place and time each month. The place and time may be the same each month, or in some Districts, it may be at different places throughout the District. The Scout will then email/mail his project to the coordinator for preliminary review and will fix major errors.

At the first meeting with the Board, the Scout will discuss his project with the Board, and agree to fix any probglems that still exist in the write-up. If the write-up are only minor, the Eagle Board Chair will sign off on the project and give go ahead to begin. A mentor is then assigned to the Scout. This mentor will be available to the Scout throughout the duration of his project and right through his Eagle Board of Review. The mentor is the person that the Scout goes to for advice, answerw to questions, and overall support during his jouney to Eagle.

Once his project is finished, and all other requirements have been met, the Scout brings his Eagle Rank application to the Council Office for the Registar to sign verifying his Ranks, Merit
Badges, and leadership tenures. The Scout is now ready to make a second appointment with the Eagle Board to review his final project, and to conduct his Eagle Board of Review if the project is accepted by the Board. The final project review and the Eagle Board of Review may occur at the same meeting if the final project is accepted by the Board.

A few notes to keep in mind:

-Eagle Candidates may not be required to engage the service of other Scouts on their Eagle Scout Leadership Project.

-Reference letters should be requested by the unit, and returned to the unit. An Eagle Board of Review may not be postponed nor denied due to reference letters not being returned.

-No adult member may sit on the Eagle Board of Review for a youth member of a Unit that the adult is reqistered with. The adult member may sit on the Board of Review for the youth member of any other Unit. the youth may bring one adult with him to his Baoard of Review to act as liaison between the Scout and the Baord. This liaison may be a member of the youth's unit."[/color]

They say they are doing this to be more in line with National Standards. Is this true or are they adding requirements?
John Furlong
Asst. Scout Master

Alice: "How long is forever?"
White Rabbit: "Sometimes just a second."
John F.
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Here is the Link for Nationals BOR Training Guide I will let you be the Judge on your Question

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/TrainingModules/BoardofReviewTraining.aspx
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:39 pm

John F. wrote:Just received our council news paper in the mail yesterday. In it was this article about the way council are going to handle upcoming eagle candidates.

Once the scout finds a project , with the help of his Scoutmater, and completes his project workbook up to page 9, he then secures the neccessary signatures except for the Disgtrict Advancement Chair. At this point, the Scout schdules his first meeting with the District Eagle Board by calling the District Eagle Coordinator and making an appointment. The Board will meet at a predetermined place and time each month. The place and time may be the same each month, or in some Districts, it may be at different places throughout the District. The Scout will then email/mail his project to the coordinator for preliminary review and will fix major errors.

At the first meeting with the Board, the Scout will discuss his project with the Board, and agree to fix any probglems that still exist in the write-up. If the write-up are only minor, the Eagle Board Chair will sign off on the project and give go ahead to begin. A mentor is then assigned to the Scout. This mentor will be available to the Scout throughout the duration of his project and right through his Eagle Board of Review. The mentor is the person that the Scout goes to for advice, answerw to questions, and overall support during his jouney to Eagle.

Once his project is finished, and all other requirements have been met, the Scout brings his Eagle Rank application to the Council Office for the Registar to sign verifying his Ranks, Merit
Badges, and leadership tenures. The Scout is now ready to make a second appointment with the Eagle Board to review his final project, and to conduct his Eagle Board of Review if the project is accepted by the Board. The final project review and the Eagle Board of Review may occur at the same meeting if the final project is accepted by the Board.

-Eagle Candidates may not be required to engage the service of other Scouts on their Eagle Scout Leadership Project.

-Reference letters should be requested by the unit, and returned to the unit. An Eagle Board of Review may not be postponed nor denied due to reference letters not being returned.

-No adult member may sit on the Eagle Board of Review for a youth member of a Unit that the adult is reqistered with. The adult member may sit on the Board of Review for the youth member of any other Unit. the youth may bring one adult with him to his Baoard of Review to act as liaison between the Scout and the Baord. This liaison may be a member of the youth's unit."[/color]

They say they are doing this to be more in line with National Standards. Is this true or are they adding requirements?

National gives Councils latitude to handle the Eagle Project/BOR as long as they are not adding to the requirements. Our council does a little of what you've listed above but not all. The strangest thing you've written is about the EP approval and then Eagle BOR can be held if the project is approved. We do the EP approval AT the EBOR and it is not a separate evolution. Also most times the Eagle Mentor or Unit Advancement Chair brings the Eagle app to the council registrar for signature. Our council does not look at Blue cards as part of their review.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm

John F. wrote:Just received our council news paper in the mail yesterday. In it was this article about the way council are going to handle upcoming eagle candidates.

'round here, they try to simplify the process for the boys rather than make it harder.

District approval of the project writeup can be obtained from the DAC at any time the boy is ready to make an appointment. No waiting for a committee meeting, and presenting the whole thing to the committee after you have already done the preliminaries with the chairman.

Once the project and other requirements are all completed, boy/parent/SM takes/sends all the paperwork to the council registrar who makes sure it is complete and sends it to the DAC. DAC then calls the CC to set a time/place for the BOR. DAC sends a member of his committee to BOR and CC is in charge of getting the rest of the board (usually from troop committee members.) Distict advancement person brings the approval paperwork to BOR so that the whole Board can refer to it during the BOR. All papers except official application are retuned to the boy at the end of the BOR. Official application is taken by disrict advancement person back to council where they send it to National.

DAC may (but usually doesn't) contact the references listed on the application. Nobody expects (or waits for) written reference letters.

Unless something is obviously missing from the project paperwork, there is no formal approval of the completed project other than the signatures of the SM and the organization who benefitted from the project. There is usually some talk about the project at the BOR, but it is not formally scrutinized.

Our council doesn't have Eagle mentors, but if they did, wouldn't it make sense to assign the mentor prior to doing your councils complicated project approval process? Maybe when they recieve Life rank?
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Ours runs just like Scoutaholic's. Seems to work pretty well too.
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Ditto. We have a small council with three Eagle Mentors on the DAC. The candidate calls us first with his idea, and we go over the preliminaries. When his workbook and supporting paperwork are ready (diagrams, material list, tool list, financing plans, pictures, etc.) I meet him and a parent at the job site. If all looks good, I give him the green light. There is NO preliminary Eagle board meeting or DAC meeting. Why scare him away? What's the point of a whole board meeting? Seems like excessive meeting(s) to me!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby evmori » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:24 am

It doesn't seem like they are adding to the requirements. The only thing I don't like it the Scout might have to wait an entire month to go over his initial project plan. I think that should be done as needed,
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 pm

How about for procrastination ?
andrew
Scout

Postby Cowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 am

I take issue with the assignation of an Eagle mentor AFTER the project is approved. That is completely backwards to me. It takes longer and is harder when the boy has no guidance until after the project is approved. The mentor should be there to help the Scout from start to finish, not once the planning is complete. Mentor by definition is someone who guides and helps. Had my son had someone who knew what was going on his planning and preparation would have been much smoother. Granted an Eagle project is about leadership, but in my experience, it is just about impossible to do a job that you have not been trained to do without guidance. Especially when National gives virtually no "rules" about the project and process, it is very difficult for a Scout to know what should be done and in what order.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Our council assigns an Eagle Mentor when the Eagle Scout candidate presents an Eagle Scout Concept to the Council Advancement Committee. The mentor serves to assist the scout in getting an approval Eagle Scout project put together. It must work well as the number of completed projects has more than doubled since we have added this program.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:01 pm

No but personally I was suspended from getting my Eagle for three months for attitude issues (I was quite the bratty 15-year old). It shaped me up and helped me for the better. I know of a few other situations of this being the case.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:20 pm

How are ya doing Buddy? Been a while since you have been on.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:17 pm

wagionvigil wrote:How are ya doing Buddy? Been a while since you have been on.

I've been really busy. Work, school, sports, speech & debate, etc. I'm going to Ohio University in the fall to study economics. I have only been to a few scout meetings in the last year because of my schedule. I'm trying to help out and get involved for the summer while I'm still here.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Sat May 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Oh, Ohio University! You mentioned "OU" in another thread and I worried about you. Now that I know you're not going to Oklahoma, well... Congratulations!!! :D
Quailman
Bronze Palm

PreviousNext

Return to Eagle Scout