Eagle BORs - Scout is not successful

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: " . . .shows yup again without uniform . . ."

Postby ASM-142 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:If the scout shows up again out of uniform, then he isn't interested in being an Eagle Scout, looking like one, and acting like one. No EBOR. If he showed up at a baseball or soccer game out of uniform, he doesn't play. That simple!

Baseball and soccer require a uniform whereas Boy Scouts do not.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Hubert wrote:Really? I glanced at older threads and looked through them. One said that a troop can choose what constitutes as a uniform for their troop and for troop events. I never saw one that said only crews can do so. However, it is late, and I may have missed it. If I did, please show me, and I apologize if I have done so.

There are some threads in the Uniforming topic (using the Search function returns a bunch of hits depending upon how you phrase your search terms). None of them have posts in the last several months. Possibly, because there is not much to be added. As mentioned by others here BSA policy does not require a uniform so a Troop can't require it. BSA policy has established what constitutes a Scout uniform and Troops can't change that.

So, I'll just leave it at that.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:22 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:Exept ownership of a uniform is NOT a requirement of BSA membership or advancement. The Advancement Committee Policies and procedures state the Scout should appear before the Board of review "In as complete a uniform as possible" If he doesn't own one (say he can't afford it), and is unwilling to borrow one just to satisfy your requirement, it is not possible to appear in one, and BSA has statd repeatedly that that is HIS decision, NOT yours.

If you don't hold the BoR and/or don't pass him on that basis he can appeal and your actions will be overturned.

Absolutely, you can't fail a scout because he cannot afford a uniform, that's plain and simple. Your action will be overturned by the National Office.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: " . . .shows yup again without uniform . . ."

Postby evmori » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:16 am

Bill Pitcher wrote:If the scout shows up again out of uniform, then he isn't interested in being an Eagle Scout, looking like one, and acting like one. No EBOR. If he showed up at a baseball or soccer game out of uniform, he doesn't play. That simple!

Then you, my friend are violating the advancement rules. Sports require uniforms, the BSA doesn't. Big difference. The Scout can appeal & will win & you will have to give him his EBOR.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:49 pm

Boy, did we beat that horse to death! What about Scouts who let their parents run the project?
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:Boy, did we beat that horse to death! What about Scouts who let their parents run the project?

They are a no go in my opinion.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:43 pm

This should be flagged and dealt with by the troop long before n EBOR!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Hubert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 pm

Bill Pitcher wrote:Boy, did we beat that horse to death! What about Scouts who let their parents run the project?

I have brought this up in a idfferent thread. I have had a young man in my troop who I believe has done this, however, it is not my call, and it falls into the hands of the scoutmaster. If he/she thinks this is taking place, he/she needs to take care of it.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 pm

Hubert wrote:

I have had a young man in my troop who I believe has done this, however, it is not my call, and it falls into the hands of the scoutmaster. If he/she thinks this is taking place, he/she needs to take care of it.

You have a young man? No offense hubert, but you are not yet an Eagle Scout.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:20 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:
Hubert wrote:

I have had a young man in my troop who I believe has done this, however, it is not my call, and it falls into the hands of the scoutmaster. If he/she thinks this is taking place, he/she needs to take care of it.

You have a young man? No offense hubert, but you are not yet an Eagle Scout.

I never said I was...I am unsure how you got that. I will be 18 in two weeks, actually on the birthday of scouting (in the US). So I am working on how I phrase my sentences carefully. (Plus he is younger than I so the sentence fits!) :D
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:05 am

The real problem does lie with the SM and the unit. Too often, however, they pass the buck to us council Eagle advisors! We become the bad guys when the SM and Committee do not want to ruffle the parent's feathers.
The Eagle candidate is running this project, he needs to be there every day, setting things up, overseeing the work party(ies), making sure all needed materials and tools are there, and acting like the foreman on the job. BOTTOM LINE!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Re: Eagle BORs - Scout is not successful

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:09 am

Just had another "unsuccessful" one. Boy was away for his Senior Year of school on a foreign exchange, came back in May of 2008, applied for an extension and was granted 6 months on July 14th. He called me in November and we met at the job site . . . an OUTDOOR CONSTRUCTION PROJECT in November!! Do you know how cold it gets in Upstate New York in November - January? Major portion of the project included laying concrete, backfilling the jod site with topsoil and landscaping the area. Needless to say, when he turned in the paperwork the night before the 24th. of January (end of the 6 mo.) the project wasn't finished . . . to cold to do everything. Well yeah! When discussing this with he and his parents (father is a contractor!!) they assured me it would all get done. It didn't and he was turned down by the EBoR. Too bad this happened. He had 3 monts of great weather to start this project and didn't do it. When asked why he waited so long to contact me and get started, his comment was that he and his friends had a "busy summer!" Oh well . . . I think he made the wrong move and the parents didn't give enough push on this one!
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm surprised that he even got the 6 month extension. And he still blew it off.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby PeteMu » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:25 pm

What about if the scout gets back his letters of reference and they are ALL bad?

That's what happened in a friend's troop, the scout went for his EBOR and his letters of reference came back unable to recommend the Scout for Eagle?

So, with those letters, and some other things (getting caught dealing pot after his scoutmaster's conference), the EBOR turned him down.

Pete
PeteMu
Scout

Postby kwildman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 am

If the Scout isn't smart enough to ask people who will give him a favorable recommendation then he probably should be turned down.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am

If he was busted for Pot he is not an Eagle and should be removed from Scouting period.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby PeteMu » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 am

His mom thought that their turning him down was unfair (it was, after all, only once in dealing pot) and she wanted him to appealed it. Haven't heard what happened with that one yet, if he had a council one or not. Everyone is keeping quiet on that.
PeteMu
Scout

Postby evmori » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 am

PeteMu wrote:His mom thought that their turning him down was unfair (it was, after all, only once in dealing pot) and she wanted him to appealed it. Haven't heard what happened with that one yet, if he had a council one or not. Everyone is keeping quiet on that.

Apparently none of his references felt the same as mom!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Dealing is a felony everywhere and there is No way BSA would Allow that.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FieldSports » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:52 pm

He was only "caught" once dealing. Mom should wake up and smell the prison coffee in her future. Three referrences ALL bad? He needs military school more than Scouting.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

PreviousNext

Return to Eagle Scout