My son's Appeal for his Eagle Scout

Information to help with the rank of Eagle Scout.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

My son's Appeal for his Eagle Scout

Postby Angiemv » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Hello-I am so frustrated, sad, and mad all at once about my son's Eagle Scout plight. He has ADHD to the nth degree and has always struggled with deadlines and assignments but he was able to pull off a miracle and complete and turn in everything on time before his 18th birthday for his Eagle Scout. This was in late December. I do not recall the exact board of review date, but he was turned down. He was told that some of the dates on merit badges seemed off, one date did not make sense, as in the wrong date was inadvertently written as the start date and on another card, the pen ran out, so a date was written over the first attempt apparently with a new one of a different color? The scout master or whoever did it explained what happened and also said he must've accidentally written the wrong date on the other card or so I've been told. Bottom line, they were very carefully scrutinizing every little detail because we've been told by several sources someone anonymously called the board and told them they should really check his badges out because they had a hard time believing he could have completed it on time. I apologize for being vague, but his grandpa has been very involved in scouts for 30+ years so this is all second hand information from him and he is the one who filed the appeal and is closely involved. He is old school and sometimes ruffles feathers by pointing out when corners are being cut or protocol isn't being followed by leaders, so I'm wondering if this is more about a grudge against HIM and not my son. Either way, it baffles me that someone would take the effort to try to black ball my son from this 12 year long effort. He hasn't exactly had it easy, being picked on and bullied his whole life for being hyperactive. The process to be granted an appeal seemed to take forever but he finally appeared before the appeal board on April 29th. We were of course anxious-expecting an answer that night. I couldn't eat or sleep-but they told him they would review his responses to any inquiries they had and get back to him promptly or something to that affect. Well, now it's been over a month, still not a word and his grandfather just heard back from a scout official that it would be at the earliest this week, at the latest another month. Is this normal? It's been 6 months since he requested his board of review. It feels like they are dragging their feet, hoping we will just give up. I can't seem to find any exact timelines. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice for us? To our knowledge, we've answered any concerns or questions they had and they already also questioned those who signed off on his badges so what could the hold up be?

Thanks in advance.

Angie
Angiemv
Scout

Re: My son's Appeal for his Eagle Scout

Postby Quailman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:36 am

Sorry, but I've never been involved in an appeal so I don't have anything to offer, other than to say good luck.

Be sure to post here after you get the result.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby RMM » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:52 pm

From afar, this does not sound right. It this is still an issue, you make wish to contact your Council Exec. If you do not receive an answer, contact BSA National

myscouting@scouting.org , or the BSA National Council operator at 972-580-2000 and ask for the Advancement Team.
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

I was reminded that there are 4 things you can not recover:
"The stone after the throw, the word after is's said, the occasion after the loss, the time after it's gone."
RMM
Star

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Without going too deep into the specific merits of this appeal. I try to avoid that over the internet. :) If the merit badges were awarded and recorded in Scoutnet (the official record maintained by BSA) then they are not subject to review by EBOR. A little deeper than that, if the troop accepted the Merit Badge as complete then that is not subject to review by the board. If the properly registered merit badge councilor has signed off the merit badge as complete then that is not subject to review by the troop accept under exceptional circumstances. In my council, the scout would not get to the EBOR stage without the application being verified by council. That includes checking the merit badges against the official record in scoutnet.

For the circumstances sited, I would appeal to national if the council turns it down.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 pm

The hold-up could be Grandpa's involvement in filing the appeal. The advancement guide says in 8.0.4.1 (page 61 in 2013 edition) that the scout, parent or guardian perpares a letter notifying the council of the appeal. A letter from the original Board of Review, explaining the reason(s) for denial should also be attached. Is Grandpa a legal guardian? Good luck.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Definately file an appeal. The merit badges should be filed as having been earned at the Council office, and that should have been verified by them before the BOR was even convened. If the council verifys that the merit badges were properly earned, that is not reviewable by the BOR.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Since I posted in early June I have sat on two EBORs, including one under disputed circumstances, and I've gained a better understanding of the process. There's no way if they spoke to your son in April that you wouldn't have an answer by the end of May. That's inexcusable.

You should call the council office and ask for a decision.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 am

Bill Pitcher wrote:... Is Grandpa a legal guardian? Good luck.

Even if the Granpa is not the legal guardian, If is speaking on behalf of the legal guardian, it is much the same. Worst case have the legal guardian cosign the letters
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Eagle Scout