Foil Dinners

Outdoor cooking techniques and recipe exchange.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Foil Dinners

Postby cubbobwhite » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:12 am

The Classic: Hobo Dinner
1 lb hamburger
potatoes - cut into small pieces
carrots - cut into small pieces
onions
margarine
salt & pepper
water

Divide hamburger into 3 or 4 patties & place on top of a large piece of heavy-duty foil. Place the desired amount of cut up potatoes and carrots on top of the hamburger patties. Slice desired amount of onions on top of the veggies. Add about 2 tablespoons of margarine then salt & pepper to taste. Add a small amount of water (about 1/4 cup or so) on top of the dinner then finish wrapping in the foil. Add a second layer of foil wrapping. Place on top of fire grates and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on the amount of fire and embers) without turning. Here's where you will wish to continue adding small pieces of wood to the fire to maintain a bed of embers while cooking. If you are in a hurry and a little more daring; the cooking time can be reduced to as little as 15 to 20 minutes if a well sealed diner is placed within a good bed of embers. Enjoy!

Suggestion: Another good dinner to try is to get some heavy-duty aluminum foil (or 2 sheets of regular) and put the hamburger patty, or chicken or ham on the bottom. Then put potatoes sliced really thin, thinly sliced carrots or other vegetable(s), onions and green peppers if you like in separate bowls. Then each person can choose his or her own amount and type of extras to add. Add salt, pepper or seasoned salt if you like. Cover your mixture tightly, including the ends, and cook over coals 1/2 hour each side.
Leslie (in Michigan)
Cubmaster - Pack 101
Council Training Chairman
Blue Water Council
cubbobwhite
Second Class

Postby cubbobwhite » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:15 am

Hawaiian Wiki Wiki

One slice of ham (a dinner slice)
One slice of canned pineapple
Canned sweet potatoes
1 14-inch piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil

Place ham slice in center of foil square
Place slice of pineapple on top.
Add sweet potatoes
Seal the foil package and place on bed of hot coals. Cook until heated through, about 8 to 10 minutes.

I use this to teach Cubs about foil cooking. Since everything is already cooked it won't kill them if it doesn't stay on the fire very long due to a short attention span.
Leslie (in Michigan)
Cubmaster - Pack 101
Blue Water Council
cubbobwhite
Second Class

Postby cubbobwhite » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:15 am

Baked Apples
Fresh apple, brown sugar, raisins, butter, heavy duty foil

Core the apple, making a hollow tube through the apple. Melt the butter over a low flame and mix in the brown sugar and raisins to form a paste. Place the cored apple in the center of a sheet of foil large enough to entirely wrap the apple. Fill the tube in the apple with the raisin and brown sugar paste, then wrap the foil around the apple, sealing it in tight. Place the foil apple on hot coals and cook until soft, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Leslie (in Michigan)
Cubmaster - Pack 101
Blue Water Council
cubbobwhite
Second Class

Postby Lynda J » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:07 pm

Stuffed baked potatoes.

Take a large baking potatoe. Core part of the center out. Stuff with cooked ground meat, cheese, and diced onions it you want. Wrap in foil and bake.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Billvann » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:52 am

cubbobwhite wrote:Baked Apples
Fresh apple, brown sugar, raisins, butter, heavy duty foil

A variation is to add cinnamon candy in the core instead of raisons. It's a little spicy for some so be easy on it for the youger scouts.
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby Lynda J » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:48 am

If your boys have fishe and caught their own dinner.

1 cleaned fish.
3 slices of lemon
garlic powder
butter.

Cabbage leaf

Place lemon, butter and garlic inside fish. wrap fish in cabbage leaf then in foil. Bake in coals for about 20 minutes. Depending on size of fish.

This also works great with salmon filets but they only take about 15 minutes.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:08 am

Great for fishing MB
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:18 pm

Some of the best fish I ever ate was when my dad and I were walk fishing the Buffulo river. We caught some really nice trout. Dad cut a wild cherry log and split it. We plank cooked the fish. I can still taste that fish.

My goal with my boys is for them to be able to cook anything over a camp fire or with camp cook gear that you an cook in a kitchen.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby ynotquilt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:57 pm

With the apples, cut them into wedges before adding butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Was told of a boy who , obviously not thinking, just bit into the apple and burned his face around his mouth as well as his mouth fairly well. It's amazing what people may do when not using the grey matter upstairs!
ynotquilt
Star

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:04 pm

Almost any kind of vegy is great in foil!
I do mushrooms with a tad of butter. Also, various squash, zucchini, carrots, celery with a tad of butter and italian seasoning. OR I cut the vegys, put them in a zip lock baggie with italian dressing for a few hours, then strain out the dressing and put them in foil with guess what else, yup, another tad of butter. YUM!
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:06 pm

OH yeah - any kind of meat too! I don't include a tad of butter with meat though, here I prefer to give the foil a light spray of pam (generic of course because I like to be thrifty).
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:20 am

SUPER BASIC FOIL DINNER

*1/4 pound of beef
*1 cut up carrot
*1 cut up potato
*a tad bit of salt
*a tad bit of pepper
*a little bit of bacon bits

Get a hot fire going. Once it burns down, put this concoction wrapped in foil in the fire. Time depends on how hot the coals are. To check, use a fork to open foil up and check the middle of beef to make sure it is cooked through.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Return to The Grubmaster's Fire