Dutch Oven Cooking

Outdoor cooking techniques and recipe exchange.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby cballman » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:43 pm

Ok ladie heres one for you

in a #12 dutch oven put 1 pkg. of choc.chips in the bottom spread out evenly then pour two cans of cherry pie filling over the chips also evenly. now take a box of choc. cake mix and pour and spread evenly all over the lower mixture. now take a can of sprite and pour small amounts around the cake mix. cook in the oven about 45-60 minutes at about the 350 degree mark and then let the servings begin.
cballman

Postby Mick Scouter » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Sounds good, but what is the verdict? Thumbs up or down?
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby cballman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 pm

hey I wouldnt post a tried and true formula. I was told it was great.
cballman

Postby Lynda J » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:14 pm

I have done this one. But we add nuts and call it Black Forest Cobler.
It is GREAT. Especially if you make ice cream and put over it.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:11 pm

Sounds like it is worth a try!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby JazerNorth » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 am

cballman wrote:Ok ladie heres one for you

in a #12 dutch oven put 1 pkg. of choc.chips in the bottom spread out evenly then pour two cans of cherry pie filling over the chips also evenly. now take a box of choc. cake mix and pour and spread evenly all over the lower mixture. now take a can of sprite and pour small amounts around the cake mix. cook in the oven about 45-60 minutes at about the 350 degree mark and then let the servings begin.

Tried this and got one big goop of a mess. I ended up cooking it 1 1/2 hours to get it to even be partway done. The temp inside was upto 350/400 for the full time. Either I really goofed up, or the directions above just are not clear enough to do it correctly.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Postby Mick Scouter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:18 pm

thanks,

any additional thoughts? adding dry cake mix does not compute to me!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby Lynda J » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:15 am

Here is the recipe we use except for one thing. Instead of milk we use black cherry soda and we use 2 cans of pie filling, and add nuts to the filling. It works great. Just be sure to use cherry pie filling and not canned cherries.

Black Forest Cobbler
Ingredients 1 Choclate cake mix
1 Cherry pie filling
1-2 Hershey bars(you can never have too much choclate.)
chopped walnuts if your crew likes 'um
Equipment Dutch Oven
Instructions Cherry pie filling in first
then add the cake mix
(if your cake mix calls for eggs and or milk by all means add it for a richer texture. It will still work with out it though.)
Mix only if you add eggs and milk.
Add the walnuts if the crew will let you.
Break up the Hershey bar on top so it will melt.

cooking time approx 45 min.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby stevenscout » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:49 pm

This is the easiest cobbler recipe in the world. Pour two cans of fruit pie filling (apple, cherry, peach) in the dutch oven, then pour on a box of white of yellow cake mix, then cut up 1 stick of butter and place the slices on top of the mix. Do NOT stir it at any time. Cook for about 30 minutes. Usually takes me about 5 minutes to prepare.
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby WVBeaver05 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:05 pm

At an outdoor leader training session last year we had a lengthy discussion regarding putting the filling or mix in first. As we had enough for 2, we tried one each way and found no difference in the results.

So I can confirm - 1. It is easy and 2. It is GOOD.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby stevenscout » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:44 pm

I've never tried it that way, but it sounds like it would work fine
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
Micco Chapter Vice Chief 2004
Kaskanampo Chapter Chief 2005
Kaskanampo Vice Chief of Ceremony 2006
Quartermaster January 06-May 07
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Dutch oven stuff

Postby riverwalk » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:02 am

Might be a good time to remind folks in my Region....about the cook-off. April 22nd is the dutch oven cook-off at the National Museum. Deadline is April 9th, to register. Should be good practice for the next Scout Show, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby stevenscout » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:13 am

I wish my troop had timed it right to be there for that. We are going to visit the museum in 2 weeks. :cry:
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
Micco Chapter Vice Chief 2004
Kaskanampo Chapter Chief 2005
Kaskanampo Vice Chief of Ceremony 2006
Quartermaster January 06-May 07
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

NSM

Postby riverwalk » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:19 am

Gee, say something here when y'all will attend, and I'll see what planet I'm on that day. Would love to greet a Troop from elsewhere. There was a Louisiana Troop there the other day. One Scouter I met through this forum, is a docent there.

But as far as grubbin' topics, what kinds of dishes have y'all seen at Scout Shows/Expos (whatever people call theirs)? Besides dutch oven items, we often see fried rattlesnake by some Troops.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Seasoning NEW Cast Iron

Postby 214TrailRider » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:25 am

I have found that using steel wool in hot, soapy water to get the shipping seasoning off of the pans works best.
Then, put the cast iron in an oven, set to around 275 degrees, for around 1/2 hour to drive out the water.
Seasoning in High Heat causes A LOT of smoke, lower heat less smoke
After the water is out, WHITE CRISCO, not the BUTTER FLAVOR, is used liberally all over the cast iron, inside and out. Put back in the oven for 3-4 hours, then shut off the oven, leaving pans in the oven, with the door closed, letting pans cool this way.
When cooled, remove, wipe excess Crisco.
Every time pans are used, wipe with Crisco on a paper towel, pan will last long enough for your grandson to cook with on a campout.
Cast Iron is just about the only thing I cook with, even at home on my wife's stove <---Note Proper Possesive...Happy Cooking and Camping!!!
COR Crew, Troop, Pack 214
214TrailRider
Scout

Dutch Oven Care and feeding....

Postby FredPhilibert » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:50 pm

1> Soap

For ALL cast iron, and likely for aluminum, too....Soap should be avoided always, it migrates into the pores of the utensil when it's hot, and gets trapped when it contracts. When you heat it again, the pores open, allowing the soap out into your food. A Pot/Pan/Dutch oven like this is said to be "soured" and is beyond saving, or so I've been told.

2> Cheap ovens

Bought one at a truck sale... a lip on the lid for coals, but NO feet! When scrubing with salt to clean it, I found the bottom to be a rough casting that would shred a cloth. What to do? I thought a bit, grabbed a sharpening stone, and smoothed the bottom in 2 minutes, then proceded to season as usual. To use it, I use three 8 inch spikes which I stick in the dirt to make my "stand". Works well with ovens that have short legs, too.

3> Cheaters seasoning method...

Find someone who has a resturant, and ask when they're gonna change their fryer fat. Just before they do, scrub your stuff and bring it over... 30 minutes in the frier should do it. This *MAY* even help you salvage a pot soured by soap.

4> My dutch oven cobbler

Greased oven (of course)... I use 2 cans of pie filling, one box of cake mix, and I used to use two sticks of butter, but crisco now is available in a foil package that is equivilent to two sticks of butter... easy to measure! So, dump in pie filling, sprinkle cake mix on top, cut up the "2 stick" crisco block (this stuff will keep till the next ice age!) and bake. Simple! My guys like cherry/devils food the best.

Just a couple of hints.
Fred Philibert
Troop 106, Teaneck NJ
Northern New Jersey Council
FredPhilibert
Scout

Re: Dutch Oven Care and feeding....

Postby JazerNorth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:09 am

FredPhilibert wrote:2> Cheap ovens

Bought one at a truck sale... a lip on the lid for coals, but NO feet! When scrubing with salt to clean it, I found the bottom to be a rough casting that would shred a cloth. What to do? I thought a bit, grabbed a sharpening stone, and smoothed the bottom in 2 minutes, then proceded to season as usual. To use it, I use three 8 inch spikes which I stick in the dirt to make my "stand". Works well with ovens that have short legs, too.

Having no legs is a feature, not a sign of cheap. No legs on dutch ovens are designed for home oven cooking. You can get cheap dutch ovens, usually found at big box stores (ie WalMart), which are made out of aluminum instead of cast iron. Your ducth oven needs to heat evenly, and aluminum does not do this, where cast iron does it much better. Best way to tell a cheap oven from good oven is by weight. The more it weighs, the better the oven is (in general).

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Chocolate Lovers Delight

* box of cake mix
* carton of Oreos
* bag of chocolate chips
* bottle of chocolate syrupe
*anything else chocolaty

Put aluminum foil in the dutch over. Pour all contents in and mix together. Put in hot bed of coals for an hour. Take out hot, super-rich treat.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Ron S » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 pm

If your troop library does not already contain a copy of the dutch oven cookbook that is available through your local Scout shop, get one. The recipes are great. There is even a recipe for dutch oven ice cream.
Ron
Ron S
Tenderfoot

Postby ronin718 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Our troop did dutch oven pizza at an overnighter at Antietam in December. We used tin foil on the inside, then spread Pilsbury dough around the sides and bottom, added sauce, cheese, and toppings, and let'em cook. It ended up resembling lasagna more than pizza, but the results were excellent. Our youngest patrol must've done it right, because the Sr. patrol was all over their pot "sampling". :lol:
ronin718
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to The Grubmaster's Fire