Dutch Oven Cooking

Outdoor cooking techniques and recipe exchange.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby jr56 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:49 pm

You guys are making me drool all over my computer.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Dutch

Postby riverwalk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 am

OK, time again for the Iron Chefs to come out. I know this has limited appeal because of the location, but it promotes Scouting in my area. And there are some Councils that can consider it. Besides, it may rekindle some cooking stories in the forums.

The 2nd annual Dutch oven cook-off is again held at the National Scouting Museum. This April event should be on their website now.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby tdfoxsr736 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:14 pm

Try making chocolate brownies, but instead of oiling the bottom of dutch oven first, smear it with peanut butter.
ImageFox Rox!!
Wood Badge SR-736
Tommy Doran, Assistant Scoutmaster
Troop 888
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
tdfoxsr736
First Class

Postby OldGrayOwl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Here's one that we use, and the Scouts love it 'cause it has their favorite soda in it:
Mountain Dew Peach Dump Cobbler

2 (30 oz.) cans sliced peaches
1 can Mountain Dew, Sprite or 7Up
1 yellow cake mix; dry
Ice cream of your choice

1. Into a 12" Dutch oven add peaches and spread out.
2. Stir in 1/3 cup instant tapioca.
3. Pour cake mix over peaches then pour the soda over the cake mix.
4. Stir to mix completely.
5. Place lid on oven.
6. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour using 12 briquettes top and 12 briquettes bottom.
7. Rotate oven one direction 90º and lid the opposite way, 90º every 15 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream.

Serves: 8-10
OldGrayOwl
Second Class

new recipe (for us anyway)

Postby VenturingL » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Cooking an entree in a dutch oven is a requirement for the cooking elective in Venturing. We have a boy who was in H.S. culinary arts program. This was his last requirement - he introduced a new recipe.

You will need "assembly" process, but it is worth it.

Peel & cut 5 lbs. white potatoes - boil until tender, mash, add about 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup ranch dressing, & shredded cheese (as much or little as you like), salt & pepper to taste.

Brown 2 lbs. ground meat in skillet Add 1 can tomato paste with garlic, 1 can condensed tomato soup (do not add water), and 1 can tomato sauce.

Line dutch oven with foil. (makes clean up easier)

Layer meat sauce on bottom, then green beans (we used frozen french cut - 2 packages - thawed & drained) & mashed potatoes on top. You can put a layer of green beans in middle of potatoes if you want. Top with shredded cheese & bake approx. 1 hour.

Even the non-veggie lovers in our Crew raved about this one.
VenturingL
Star

Wood Badge Sticky Buns

Postby OldGrayOwl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:04 pm

Wood Badge Sticky Buns

1 Bag of Frozen Bread Dinner Rolls (about 1 – 1½“ dia, approx 25)
2 sticks butter (NOT margarine), melted
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup King Syrup
4 tablespoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons vanilla
1 large package “Cook and Serve” Vanilla pudding
½ cup (more or less) pecan pieces (optional)
Spray Cooking Oil
Wide Plastic Wrap
Wide Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
“Ashed”-Over Charcoal (after the rolls have had a chance to rise)

1. Line bottom of Dutch Oven with the wide aluminum foil.
2. Combine the melted butter with the King Syrup and the Brown Sugar. Heat until the Brown Sugar just dissolves. Add the cinnamon, vanilla and pudding. (Don’t get it to hot, or you will have Brown Sugar Candy).
3. Pour the Sugar Mixture into the Foil lined Dutch Oven.
4. Sprinkle the pecans on the bottom of the Dutch Oven.
5. Layer the bottom of the oven with the frozen dinner rolls. (Approx. 21 – 25)
6. Spray the frozen dinner rolls lightly and then cover with a piece of the plastic wrap onto the dinner rolls.
7. Cover with the Oven cover and let rise approx 6 – 8 hours (Best to prepare this at night before bed).
8. REMOVE the plastic wrap (DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS STEP) and lightly tap down the rolls.
9. Replace the oven cover and place onto 5 “ashed-over” coals. Place about 12-15 “ashed-over” coals on the lid.
10. Let bake about 15 minutes (internal temperature is about 400(deg)F, rotating oven and cover every 5 minutes (to keep from developing “hot” spots.
11. Remove from the fire and remove the lid.
12. Place a plate that is larger than the diameter of the oven onto the top of the oven and then turn the plate and oven over.
13. Remove the oven from the plate and serve the Wood Badge Sticky Buns.
OldGrayOwl
Second Class

Postby kwildman » Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 am

The international dutch oven society is the best source of info for dutch oven cooking. http://www.idos.org I try to stay away from doing "mountain man" breakfast casseroles and dump cakes all the time as I want the scouts to understand that anything you can cook in your stove at home can be done in a dutch oven. I cook lasagna, pot roasts, roast chicken or turkey breasts, we make loaves of bread or bisquits from scratch, deserts are brownies, pineapple upside down cake, or apple pie.

Our troop has salvaged several dutch ovens that were considered trashed by other people. If the patina is bad or rusted on the oven you can put the whole thing in your self-cleaning oven, set it to clean, open all the windows and doors and leave for a couple of hours. Another alternative is to go to a shop that has a sand blaster and have it taken down to bare metal. Reseason and you have a brand new stove.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:52 pm

kwildman wrote:The international dutch oven society is the best source of info for dutch oven cooking. http://www.idos.org I try to stay away from doing "mountain man" breakfast casseroles and dump cakes all the time as I want the scouts to understand that anything you can cook in your stove at home can be done in a dutch oven. I cook lasagna, pot roasts, roast chicken or turkey breasts, we make loaves of bread or bisquits from scratch, deserts are brownies, pineapple upside down cake, or apple pie.

Our troop has salvaged several dutch ovens that were considered trashed by other people. If the patina is bad or rusted on the oven you can put the whole thing in your self-cleaning oven, set it to clean, open all the windows and doors and leave for a couple of hours. Another alternative is to go to a shop that has a sand blaster and have it taken down to bare metal. Reseason and you have a brand new stove.

Looks like a nice site. will pass on to the SM, thanks.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: Dutch Oven Cooking

Postby conmcb25 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Mountain Man Breakfast:

The ingredients are pretty basic:

Eggs
Hash Browns (or leftover potatoes cut up fairly small.
Sausage or Bacon or maybe even leftover ham.
Chesse.

Fry up and brown potatoes, and meat.

Put hash browns in a well greased dutch oven first, then put in the browned meat/ sausage.

Then whip the eggs and pour them over the top, and put grated cheese over that.

Bake with a few coals underneath and a bunch of coals on top. For about 20 to 30 minutes.

Cut and serve.

For a 12 inch oven a big package of hash browns, 12 eggs and a large package of sausage, and one package of pre-grated cheese seems to work well.

Adjust the amount base on what size of an oven you have. I use up to 18 eggs in my 14" oven.

You can also put veggies in here like peppers or mushrooms. And of course any kind of spice you might enjoy. A little salt and pepper, a dash of cayenne, Old Bay Seasoning (tm), whatever you like with eggs, and whatever the Scouts may want to try..
ASM-Hoosier Trails Council, Bloomington, Indiana
conmcb25
Scout

Postby VenturingL » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm

And if you spoon the above into tortillas, you have no mess kits to wash!
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby OldGrayOwl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 am

Here is one that thy Troop really enjoys:
Red Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
Makes: 10 servings

INGREDIENTS:
25 medium red potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
1¼ cups butter or margarine
⅔ cup half-and-half or heavy cream
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white sugar (or Splenda)
1 tablespoon steak or chicken seasoning (depending on what you are serving with it)
1 teaspoon garlic powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the potatoes into the 12” wide and deep dutch oven, and fill with enough water to cover. Add the 2 teaspoons of the crushed garlic to the water for flavor. Bring to a boil, and cook for at least 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.

2. Drain the potatoes, and add the butter.

3. Mash until the butter is melted.

4. Mix in the half-and-half, sugar, steak seasoning, garlic powder and remaining garlic.

5. Mix potatoes with an electric mixer (or whatever you have, our patrols use a new paint stirrer and a battery drill) until smooth.

They are great when the youth make their Trashcan Turkey.
NE-IV-183
I used to be an Owl, A Good Old Owl, Too
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don’t.
Exsisto Paratus
OldGrayOwl
Second Class

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 pm

OldGrayOwl wrote:They are great when the youth make their Trashcan Turkey.

Please provide Trash can Turkey recipe.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:08 pm

TW - check the following link

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=trash+can+turkey+

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 pm

kwildman wrote:TW - check the following link

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=trash+can+turkey+

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is great!!! It will be tried at our next family cook out.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Being in IT, I love the "Let me google that for you website" -- http://www.lmgtfy.com

I think i will try that garbage can turkey myself. Although, I do have my eyes set on a Maca 21" dutch oven that is big enough to hold a whole turkey.
Last edited by RWSmith on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken code
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to The Grubmaster's Fire