Troop Web Sites

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:06 am

when i started my troop site off geocities when i was a boy, i was told if i was going to post pictures i couldnt include the last names. First names are fine. Also, no direct face pictures. I didnt understand why, but i guess alot of people can steal identities by this.

Now to the other important thing. I focus in graphic design and web page layout. If anyone is interested in a face lift for their site, and is using a domain with ftp and my sql access, i can make you a site for no charge (as long as i can put my logo on it at the bottom). I am doing the no charge thing because being an eagle scout, and now a scout leader myself, I feel that you are already doing something well deserving for the boys of your troop by continuing to keep your troop together and letting the boys have fun.

If anyone is interested post here or email me at dannyagunther@gmail.com and we will work things out.

Sorry if this is adveritising.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby SM-890 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:08 pm

Wagion, actually I do. Our trip permission slips include a place for the parent's to check that allows us to use any pictures to promote the troop. I never would use last names. I hope that this one stays updated. One of teh scouts is learning web page building in school and is wanting to start an on-line scrapbook. We'll probably let him work on that as we progress, with supervision of course.
Committee - Troop 890
Cherokee/Pickens District
Atlanta Area Council
http://www.bsatroop890.org
SM-890
First Class

Postby JRTroop270 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Last edited by JRTroop270 on Fri May 05, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRTroop270
First Class

Postby MisterChris » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:51 pm

I've placed a lot of effort into our website. It has resources, online games, a couple scouting text adventure games, several online quizzes, etc. it has a Cub Pack and Scout section. There are video clips, music, pictures, and a list of our 185+ eagle scouts.

I think I'm violating at least one of the rules stated in this thread by publishing scout pictures. On our list of eagles I think we have one or two boys who aren't 18, but they are close.

Our roster, advancement records, and other stuff is embedded in a 'Members' section that is protected by userid and password. On another thread I asked if that's considered sufficient, I am guessing it is.

Check out the site, let me know what you think. You need to have Java enabled to see a lot of it.

The list of Eagles is DHTML, it pulls in a comma-separated values table, which I think only works with IE. But I think I have it coded correctly to display the same stuff for Netscape etc. using an embedded table. (and a redirect). Just learned how to put our Troop Logo on the 'favorites' icon.
And learned a trick for doing fade-ins.
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Postby deweylure » Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm

I just want to warn everyone about websites. I went to my troops website today and found it was hi jacked,hacked etc. The mis guided person even took credit for it on our website and gave out his e-mail.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby MisterChris » Mon May 01, 2006 4:40 pm

deweylure wrote:I just want to warn everyone about websites. I went to my troops website today and found it was hi jacked,hacked etc. The mis guided person even took credit for it on our website and gave out his e-mail.

Deweylure

Ummm... or somebody's email that he didn't like... :twisted:
Eagle Scout since 1978

MisterChris
Star

Postby deweylure » Mon May 01, 2006 4:54 pm

Misterchris,can you elaborate on your post?[[/quote]
deweylure
Eagle

Postby hops_scout » Mon May 01, 2006 7:03 pm

What he's saying is that your hacker could have very easily made up an email address or found somebody's email address in which his views differ so as to make it appear as if they did it and send you donw the wrong path.
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby MisterChris » Tue May 02, 2006 12:29 pm

deweylure wrote:Misterchris,can you elaborate on your post?[
[/quote]

Correct. I imagine if it was a 'hacker', he had to actually CODE the changes to your website in HTML, which means he purposely put an email address in there.

If he was smart enough to do something technical (which is ALSO criminal) he wouldn't flaunt it with an email address that could be traced back to himself.

Even an email account at yahoo, which can be set up (I expect) with bogus name and address info, can still be traced back by their server to the IP address of the account that set it up or accesses it.

More likely for somebody like that to either MAKE UP an email account or put in somebody he doesn't like, like say president@whitehouse.gov. or GuyWhoGotMyGirlfriend@YouStink.Now.

Those spam emails you get sometimes that name an email address are often proliferated to crash an unliked enemy's email box as well. You can even 'spoof' the sender. I had a friend who argued religion with me who sent me an email from God@heaven.org. I replied from Satan@Hell.now
Eagle Scout since 1978

MisterChris
Star

Postby deweylure » Wed May 03, 2006 8:35 am

Thanks misterchris,for the information.

dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby MisterChris » Fri May 05, 2006 1:56 pm

SM-890 wrote:I would really appreciate a good review of our website. We are a brand new troop with 7 Tenderfoot scouts. I started the site, but hope to be ble to turn it over to a scout as soon as possible.

BSA Troop 890 Waleska, GA

Ok, SM-890. I looked over your website and was VERY impressed. I was saddened that you have no MB Pamphlets in your troop library, though. :wink:

Seems you are keeping it well up to date and have put quite a bit of work into it. :D

Like the side-bars and never thought about putting up a page for Friends of the Troop. I'll talk that one over with my SM.

Was especially impressed with the Calendar application, but was surprised it seemed to be editable (I didn't try to modify your calendar :shock: so perhaps it really isn't).

Check ours out, let me know what you think. Play the games. Still waiting to hear from someone who played our Cumberland Caverns Trip Text Adventure Game.
Eagle Scout since 1978

MisterChris
Star

Postby MisterChris » Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 pm

Oh, and SM-890, though I see that wagionvigil has replied concerning this, I wanted to mention that although you have permission to post pictures, you have names associated as well. (First names, I notice, but name and picture). There's some risk there. (as I think I posted elsewhere).

I've got pictures of many of our scouts and leaders, only those over 18 have a name associated (I THINK).

I'll be giving out a release form to the scouts shortly, for permission for pics already on the site. I've contacted our troop lawyer (yeah, okay, he's an alumni but a good lawyer) and am waiting to hear back on the wording etc for this.
Eagle Scout since 1978

MisterChris
Star

Postby SM-890 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:05 pm

MisterChris. I have visited your website and actually followed the link to get some of the javascripts. Those are neat. We don't have any MB books in the library, yet because we are not quite 2 months old, as a troop. I have 8 scouts working on tendefoot right now. The pictures/first names is a toss up. I have discussed this with several folks from all areas and they say that this approach should be fine. However, after reviewing some comments here, I will probably change that. Oh, you need a password to modify the calendar. I do like the way it will e-mail reminders.

Thanks
Last edited by SM-890 on Fri May 12, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Committee - Troop 890
Cherokee/Pickens District
Atlanta Area Council
http://www.bsatroop890.org
SM-890
First Class

Postby Scouter1983 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:53 pm

This may have been said, I havent looked through the whole post yet. Just wanted to let you know that it is against BSA policy to post a boys last name. (Eample; Tyler Smith, no; Tyler S., yes) I have seen this on a couple sites and have e-mailed them to notify them of that. BSA does everything to protect the boys, by posting last names it makes it a bit eaiser to locate them, this also goes for personal e-mail accounts. Boys should not have personal e-mail contact links through a BSA/troop website. Lets think about safety and the ways that people can locate these boys. Lets not make it easy by posting last names and e-mail address, phone numbers, etc. This policy is posted from National, I cannot remember right now where, but if you look hard enough it is there. Please keep your boys safe.
Scouter1983
Scout

Postby 616kayak » Thu May 11, 2006 10:09 pm

is it ok to have last names if you need to be a member to view it. my troops site is a phpbb forum like this. The only thing would be it is hackable if you have the right stuff.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby Scouter1983 » Thu May 11, 2006 11:51 pm

616kayak wrote:is it ok to have last names if you need to be a member to view it. my troops site is a phpbb forum like this. The only thing would be it is hackable if you have the right stuff.

616kayak,

Yes it is okay to publish last names if it protected by password that ONLY troop members have access too. Other personal information can be published in that manner as well. But please remember ONLY troop members can have access to that information, it must be password protected.
Scouter1983
Scout

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:24 pm

Just wanted to say, I've checked out a few of the troop sites posted.

Good job on all of them!

And just wanted to post my troops site on here.

http://www.orgsites.com/mn/troop-15-newport

It's been up for over a year and a half now. And I need to update a few things on it right now. Let me know what you think.

I have also created the site for our Charter Organization to. (which unfortunately, I still need to update that to.).

I created the troop site becase, well, our troop needed one. And I wanted to.
:D
Trailblazer

Postby T83NCMomma » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:04 pm

I don't know much about website making, but I think our Scoutmaster has done a great job with our site.

Check it out at www.troop83nc.org

TIA,

Kimberly
T83NCMomma
Tenderfoot

Postby Double Eagle » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:26 pm

I know that most of the discussion and links here have been to troop websites but I would like to show our lodge's website. This site has been made and updated by a youth member of the lodge.

http://www.waupecanlodge.com/
Double Eagle
Second Class

Postby stevejb68 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Our troop's website can be found at
http://melrosetroop68.org
Steve B.
Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC
...I used to be a Bobwhite...
http://www.melrosetroop68.org
stevejb68
Life