A convesation with a COR

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

A convesation with a COR

Postby White Bear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:17 pm

While supporting my son and his Crew’s participation in Scout Sunday, I had the following conversation with the unit’s Chartered Organization Representative; and I’m at a loss of how to best reply.

COR - “Its so lovely seeing these good Christian scouts here supporting scout Sunday.”
ME – “That’s nice, I’ll pass that sentiment to our Buddhist Troop.”
COR – “Buddhists can’t be scout, they aren’t Christian. How can they do their ‘duty to God?’”
ME – “God does have 500 names.”

… I was stunned by this statement; and did some quick checking. BSA recognizes though its Religious Awards Program:
Buddhist, Hindi, Jewish, Muslim, Zoastrian, and about a dozen or so Protestant religions as well as catholic (Eastern, Orthodox, and Roman).

Lord Baden-Powell (can’t get closer to the founder than this) approved the use of promises with reference to a higher ideal, higher truth, an optional reference to God, or without a reference to God.

How does one try to politely inform this COR that they are misinformed?

* quick background: COR is COR for a Pack, Troop, and Crew. I am a member of the District Committee and an Unit Commissioner (different part of town).
White Bear
Tenderfoot

Re: A convesation with a COR

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 pm

I am not sure I would have a conversation with the COR unless the situation requires it. CORs are generally disconnected from the day to day operation. If your son likes the crew & the leadership in the crew don't sweat the small stuff.

But since you have a Buddist troop you already know all that. :?:
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:51 am

Is the CO a Christian religious organization?

This man is not the COR for the Buddhist Troop is he?
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby White Bear » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am

COR is for a Methodist Church.
White Bear
Tenderfoot

Postby Quailman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 pm

First, the CO was observing Christian Scouts at his church on Scout Sunday.

I would have left his comment alone rather than bring up the fact that not all Scouts are Christian by mentioning the Buddhist troop.

Since you brought up Buddhists, he asked a valid question. While God does have 500 names, AFAIK, Buddhists do not have one for Him. Buddhists are no less reverent than the rest of us, however.

I'm not sure how you answer him.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ismellbacon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:55 am

Are all the scouts in the troop Buddists? If so, that is interesting for a Methodist Church to be the CO. If not, then I would be hard pressed to call it a Buddist unit.

I remember the complete disconnect of my son's pack and its CO, they hardly ever spoke to each other besides signing applications. I am glad that my troop has a strong relationship with its CO and are constantly updating each other on what each is doing and needs.

From looking at your conversation, I think both of you may have been right at certain points.

Yes, Buddists can be scouts as they believe in something higher than themselves. Of course, Christians typically misunderstand that there is more to it than meditating.

But, seeing scouts involved in Scout Sunday at a Christian Church would lead me to believe that they were Christian instead of perhaps Buddists.

If I were a Buddists, or other religious follower, I probably would have smiled and nodded at the CO's comment, then brought it up with the Committee Chairs about improving communications between the units and the CO.
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby ismellbacon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

Also, for future reference:

"God has 500 names" could be considered insulting in a Christian church as that is commonly preached by the New Age religions. Not trying to give you a hard time, just pointing it out for future conversations.
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am

Have you considered that the COR was pulling your leg a bit?

You were at a Methodist Church for Scout Sunday. With the Scouts from the Methodist Church's BSA units. Why wouldn't the COR have every reason to think that all of the boys attending the Christian service, in a Christian church, were, indeed, Christian themselves?

Unless that Buddhist Troop is the Troop chartered by that Methodist church, and was actually in the Methodist church on that day, your comment was at the very least sarcastic, at the worst an intentional political/religious jibe. Either way it was a bit out of line.

If, however, the boys in the Troop chartered by the Methodist church, are indeed all Buddhists, that brings up a number of questions. The first would be - why? Why would a group of Buddhists partner with a Christian church? The second question would be - has no one told the CO? Because it does not seem that the COR knows that all of the boys in the church's Troop are of a completely different faith. I would suggest that you talk to the Troop's CC, and SM, and have them bring their CO up to speed on their Troop membership.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 am

Some other thoughts for those Buddhist Boy Scouts in a Troop chartered by a Methodist church -

Are they earning Methodist Religious Emblems? Were they presented to them at the Methodist Scout Sunday service?

Or, are they earning the Buddhist Sangha emblem?

If the Scouts in the Buddhist Troop earned the Sangha emblem, was it presented to them at their local Buddhist temple? Or was the Buddhist religious emblem presented to the boys at the Scout Sunday service at the Methodist church?

If the boys were presented with the Sangha emblem at the Methodist church, how is it that the church, and it's COR, do not know that all of the boys in their Troop are Buddhist?
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby White Bear » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 am

Wow so active.

1. I do not know the the religions of all the Scouts chartered to the Pack, Crew, or Troop. But I know for darn sure two of them are not Methodist.
2. We are working on getting a buddist unit started, there is a temple about 5 miles out of town.

I was just rather amazed at the thought "All Scouts are Christian, and all Christians are Scouts."

from experence, you don't have to be a member of a Chartering Organization to be a member of the Scouting unit. I was raised catholic, but my Pack was Chartered by the School PTA (not my school). My Troop by the local lutheran church, and my Explorer Post by Control Data Corporation.
White Bear
Tenderfoot

Postby FrankJ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 pm

We have Jewish members of our troop come to scout Sunday. We have been invited to their synagogue for scout sabbath. (The synagogue doesn't actually have anything to do with troop other than their members are also members in the troop.)

While it is not common, a troop can limit membership to their Charter Org. Generally results in small troops. Ours would be unsustainable if we did that. We even let Bokenists be leaders.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 pm

White Bear wrote:I was just rather amazed at the thought "All Scouts are Christian, and all Christians are Scouts."

I didn't read that in what you posted.

White Bear wrote:COR - “Its so lovely seeing these good Christian scouts here supporting scout Sunday.”

That tells me that he is observing Scouts who are Christian, not that all Scouts are Christian, or that all Christians are Scouts. We only have a few of members of our CO in our troop. We have quite a few show up for Scout Sunday, though, because at least a couple of the Methodist churches in my area observe Scout Sunday on the second Sunday in February rather than the first. They happen to all be Christian, but if a member made that comment and I knew otherwise, I would point out his error without trying to be so sarcastic.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Return to Troop Issues